Home
Posted By: Kenneth Looking for a portable press. - 02/19/18
Think I need to do more seating (of the bullet) at the range,

I would have cases preloaded with powder sitting in the loading block,

then just use a portable press to seat at different depths.

Whose's doing this?

Anyone have an old press just laying around?

Let me know what you need for it.
I tried it but it would not work your way. I invested in an arbor press and dies. It revolutionized my load work at the range. Now, I wouldnt have it any other way.
I would suggest arbor press
I bolted mine countersunk into a piece of 2x12 and clamp it to a table. It holds my powder thrower and trimmer too. Easy.

For me , the scale is the issue. The slightest breeze ruins the measurement and I cannot get the consistency I need out of the beam scale.
I use an arbor press and Lee Classic Loader seating dies at the range.

[Linked Image]

Some times I size and drop powder at the range, too.

[Linked Image]

Most of the stuff fits in a handy dandy box.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I tried it but it would not work your way.

what wouldn't work my way, specifically?
Originally Posted by CBB15

For me , the scale is the issue. The slightest breeze ruins the measurement and I cannot get the consistency I need out of the beam scale.

All powder will be thrown at home.

"Most of the stuff fits in a handy dandy box".

Looks good, I'll take it.....

I'll drive over and grab it..........

Which week of Turkey season should we do this?

(grin)
Originally Posted by CBB15
I bolted mine countersunk into a piece of 2x12 and clamp it to a table. .

This was my line of thinking also,

I'll look into these arbor presses, not familiar with those.
I found my press on EBay a few years ago. A couple of guys at the local sportsmen club bought the Bald Eagle arbor press, brand new off EBay recently and are pleased with them.
Originally Posted by roundoak
I found my press on EBay a few years ago. A couple of guys at the local sportsmen club bought the Bald Eagle arbor press, brand new off EBay recently and are pleased with them.

What is the advantage of the Arbor press compared to lets say, RCBS Rockchucker?

ease of setup, mounting style, length or direction of throw?
The main difference is portability...I am not taking bench mounted tools to the range.
How about a Lee Hand Press? Possibly seat the bullets long at home....

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

[Linked Image]

A person here, who i believe has vast knowledge in the field of long range shooting,

also mentioned the Lee press,

this idea has my attention, The Lee would use all my current dies, yes? win win.

and the idea of seating long at home,,,,,, not bad.............
Posted By: MLF Re: Looking for a portable press. - 02/19/18
Go to Sinclair International Shooting Supplies and look under reloading presses. It is hard to beat their inventory styles.
I just toss my whole set-up in the truck if I have to go somewhere and do load workup.....

[Linked Image]
1/2 ton or 3/4 ton? grin
I have a Lee hand press, and it works fine for bullet seating. Takes a little bit to figure out the proper technique to hold everything to keep from dumping a case full of powder, though. Nice thing is the presses are cheap and super portable!

Also very handy for resizing pistol brass while sitting in front of the TV or wherever - though I don't really use it for full length sizing rifle brass, as it takes a decent amount of strength and quickly becomes work.
Originally Posted by roundoak
1/2 ton or 3/4 ton? grin

I don't have any trouble loading it by myself. And according to Blackheart, I'm just a scrawny, weak little feller.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I just toss my whole set-up in the truck if I have to go somewhere and do load workup..

Fibber............

No need to take that setup anywhere..........

You're entire backyard is a shooting range, thinking you just open a window,

In that regard, you have no idea how envious I am.

I might be driving by this summer, just saying..........
So - he just brings the range home.....

[Linked Image]

When the answer is as simple as this, why does the discussion continue with "Look at mine"?
Lee Hand Press. I use it at the range all the time.

I put the right shellholder in it before leaving home and set up the seating die.

I fill these with my powder charges (often a ladder of different charges).

I drop powder at the range with a funnel.

Works great, although it can take awhile--because of the number of people asking you about it and saying "Huh, that's a great idea."

Good luck.
Originally Posted by Kenneth
I tried it but it would not work your way.

what wouldn't work my way, specifically?

This part:
Originally Posted by Kenneth

I would have cases preloaded with powder sitting in the loading block,

I could not get it to work. I tried plugging the cases with ear plugs. The powder would stick to the plug. Tried cotton but did not like it.

Finally settled on glass vials with screw-top lids. They fit perfectly in a shotshell box. I drop charges at home, write it on the vial with a Sharpie and pack them easily to the range to use with my Arbor Press for seating. I love how efficient it is.
So - he just brings the range home.....

Kinda, his home IS on the range. In more ways than one. grin

Ed
Originally Posted by fremont

I fill these with my powder charges (often a ladder of different charges).

There is some creative thoughts here folks, Appreciate it.
Again, creative thinking. Appreciate it.
So - rather than vials and being careful to avoid spilling, I suggested the seat bullets extra long... Then can just twist your micrometer seating die and whamo. All theoretical on my part, been meaning to try it for COL testing.
I use a Lee handpress, primed cases, and RCBS scale powered by 9 volt battery. I usually get the charge weight and seating depth dialed in one session, but there has been a time or two where I've seated loads long at home and shortened COAL at the "range". Like PG, I don't use the press for sizing. Just for seating.
So - rather than vials and being careful to avoid spilling, I suggested the seat bullets extra long... Then can just twist your micrometer seating die and whamo. All theoretical on my part, been meaning to try it for COL testing.

Yes Boom, you get creative credits too........ smile

the one 'possibile' flaw to your idea,

If I seat the bullets, and then don't need that load, I'll have to pull the bullet, trying to really avoid that.

Seat at the range is the idea, (I think).

This method does not allow as much flexibility for testing different bullets. And, once done, you have to pull all those bullets and resize your necks/cases.

I tried the Blackhorn powder tubes but could not live with the static charge causing blockage in flow. The glass vials do not static cling at all..
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...101810.1215971267&type=3&theater
I tried it but it would not work your way. I invested in an arbor press and dies. It revolutionized my load work at the range. Now, I wouldnt have it any other way.

Second that!
I use an RCBS Partner press for seating bullets @ the range. Mounted it to a wooden fixture that can sit on a bench or table or the bed of a truck or back of an SUV.

MM
Back in the 70s I watched an American Sportsman episode that showed a precision competition shooter use the vials at the range with preloaded powder. He would handload each case before a shot. Did pretty well.
Measuring a charge in the wind around here doesn't sound feasible to me. Preloading long and adjusting at the range makes a lot of sense to me. Pulling bullets is easy and resizing the neck is just a quick trip thru the Lee Collet Die using a mandrel without the recapping pin.
This is what I take to the range and use at the matches.
http://www.benchrestbulletin.net/drupal/node/67
A local guy is making a run of them and I think will be reasonable.
A lot of BR guys use 2 Partner presses. One for sizing and the other to seat the bullets.
That's a fine looking little press! "The stroke is 2 1/2", weight is 6 1/2 lbs., and the dimensions are 1 1/2" x 4" x 10 1/4""

[Linked Image]
Have to setup one of them ice fishing huts to use a scale here right now. LOL
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
This is what I take to the range and use at the matches.
http://www.benchrestbulletin.net/drupal/node/67
A local guy is making a run of them and I think will be reasonable.
A lot of BR guys use 2 Partner presses. One for sizing and the other to seat the bullets.

ballpark price?

emails sent are coming back as undeliverable.
I started loading at the bench a few years ago using a Lee Hand Press and primed cases. The first time out, I tried bringing my RCBS balance scale with me and had a heck of a time in the wind. My shooting bench is on the front porch, and the porch has a great view. Being so exposed means I'm almost always dealing with wind.

On my next try, I bought a small electronic scale and whittled a cover for it out of a plastic box. I used a scoop to measure the bulk of the powder out to a pre-determined minimum and then used a trickler through a hole in the top of the box to top off the load.

Here is the article with pics:

Wringing out the Ruger American Predator

It worked really well in the wind. However, I must say keeping that hole at the top to a minimum helps. If I had to make that cover again, I'd go even smaller.

www.harrellsprec.com

Several to choose from here
I use the Lee Breech lock type now on a board but may upgrade to the Harrell at some point.

I seat my bullets longer than the chamber and bump them back to test for preferred seating depth. I don't like to haul around charged cases as it is too easy to spill or get foreign material in the case. If I want to test for what may be max loads I will pre-measure into pill bottles the top couple of charges. This way if I stop sooner I don't have to pull bullets.
© 24hourcampfire