Home
I bought a box of Barnes LRX 200 grain bullets to try in my 300 Win. This is a long bullet. Barnes load range using H1000 powder is 69.4 - 77.1 grains. I usually seat Barnes bullets .050 off the lands to start off. Using fire formed RWS case 2.290” at shoulder, at 74 grains of H1000, this load is fully compressed and I mean Fully compressed. Makes me a little nervous.
Have any of you run this combination in your 300? What were your results? Did you seat closer to the lands? Thanks in advance for your replies.
I was going to try this bullet/combo but settled on the 180 gr TTSX instead in my 300 Win because the 200 gr LRX is so darn long, and I was worried about case capacity and resulting lower velocity. Even the 180 TTSX is a very long bullet. I have yet to recovery this bullet from anything I've taken with it, including elk. I like a little more velocity when shooting Barnes bullets, and the 180 gr gave me that. If I want a higher BC then I go to a lead bullet.

180 gr TTSX on the right and 200 gr Accubond on the left. Neither bullets have yet to let me down.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KenMi Re: Barnes LRX 200 grain 300 Win - 05/08/18
The 175 LRX is a great bullet too. I run that in mine with RL25, and there is plenty of room to get close to 3200 fps. Good BC on it too.
I’m going to give them a try, but I agree the velocity will probably be less than what l’d like. We’ll see. I called Barnes yesterday and they said it is normal to have a compressed load at load at less than max charge with this bullet in a 300 Win. I’ll report back once I’ve gotten some results.
The combination I tried: 200 gr LRX + H1000 definitely a no go. With the length of those bullets, I couldn’t seat at -.050” and going to -.040 didn’t help much . Just won’t work for me. So I’m going to give H4350 a try. Plenty of room to seat deep, and providing no high pressure signs may be able to stretch the max load a bit. With the smaller bearing surface of the TSX, I’ve done this with my .308 Win
and 325 WSM with good success safely.
© 24hourcampfire