Home
Just took possession of my first 7mm-08, it's a Barrett Fieldcraft with 21" tube. The rifle will be used for whitetail, aoudad and hopefully elk.

I have Lapua brass, Forster dies are on the way, but I need bullets and powder. Initially, I was thinking about loading 140gr Nosler Accubonds. Based upon my intended usage, is there another bullet I should consider or have I made a solid first choice?

I haven't consulted my manuals yet, but I'm looking for a powder recommendation; accuracy first, velocity second. Your thoughts?

Thank you.
I'd be looking at the 150 or 162eldx....

How far are you planning on being capable to?
I usually shoot <300 yards, but have a couple farms that I can shoot to 500 yds on whitetail, so to directly answer your question: 500 yds.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11690124/1/150-eld-x-and-the-7mm-08

P
You don't need much to get that far then....

Take your pic of any 120 at 3050+, 140 at 2850+, 150 at 2750+ or 162 at 2675+...
Big Game powder and 140 grain Partitions
140 Accubond and 40-42g of Varget will get you to that 2800+ number GregW mentioned. I can't tell you how many deer/antelope/aoudad I've killed with that combo. I've also killed a ton of game with that 120 ballistic tip. As a matter of fact, within the last week I killed a very large bodied Axis buck with that 120 BT that weighed 80.5 grains, as it was found underneath the skin on off side shoulder. They are wicked little bullets.
Ive generally used 140-160 gr bullets in my 7-08. Moostly in the 140gr.range Any or the 4350's or Varget would be my choices at least for deer. Haven't used accubonds so cant speak to them but Hornady and Speer have always given good results.
I'll second JG's experience. Hard to go wrong with 140-grain Accubonds and Varget for your intended purpose. I've killed a bunch of whitetails and aoudads with that combo and one-shot kills with complete pass-throughs are the norm.

Have not shot elk with it -yet - but would not hesitate to take that combo into the elk grounds.
140 Partition
47.5 gr Big Game
WLRM
2.806" OAL

Kilt two bulls with this load

[Linked Image]

Same recipe, substitute Accubond for Partition, 200 yards

[Linked Image]

My dad kilt this bull with the Accubond load, one shot, 225 yards

[Linked Image]

P
I'm looking for the same rifle but can't find anyone with them in stock.

Anybody know of any vendors who have them in stock?
Originally Posted by smokepole

Do they shoot $1,000 better than a Tikka?

P
As you stated, you have Lapua brass. It is a little thicker and heavier than Winchester and Remington brass, so you should definitely start low and work up. I shoot a lot of 120 gr. bullets (Ballistic Tips and TTSXs) and have found that I get the same velocity with a grain or two less powder when using Lapua brass. My favorite Lapua load in my 7mm-08 is either of the 120s mentioned over 48.0 to 48.5 gr. of Big Game with a CCI 200 primer. It chronographs at 3100 fps. I get the same velocity with 50.0 gr. if I am using Remington brass. I don’t see this talked about much on here, but something to think about.
By the way, the 120 gr. Ballistic Tip works great on deer sized game. I’d probably use the TTSX or a heavier bullet on Elk or similar.

EuroOptic
Originally Posted by lastround
As you stated, you have Lapua brass. It is a little thicker and heavier than Winchester and Remington brass, so you should definitely start low and work up. I shoot a lot of 120 gr. bullets (Ballistic Tips and TTSXs) and have found that I get the same velocity with a grain or two less powder when using Lapua brass. My favorite Lapua load in my 7mm-08 is either of the 120s mentioned over 48.0 to 48.5 gr. of Big Game with a CCI 200 primer. It chronographs at 3100 fps. I get the same velocity with 50.0 gr. if I am using Remington brass. I don’t see this talked about much on here, but something to think about.

I'll keep that in mind as I move forward.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

No, but from a guy that owns both and appreciates the Tikka, I prefer the FC by a wide margin. However, I am thinking about picking up a T3/T3X to compliment the FC 7mm-08, BUT I have far too many rifles now.

P

Doubtful, but from a guy that owns both and truly appreciates the Tikka, I prefer the FC by a wide margin. However, I am thinking about picking up a T3/T3X to compliment the FC 7mm-08, BUT I have far too many rifles now.
Over the past several months I have been trying/testing different bullet/powder combos in my 7-08. I have tried Varget, H414 and RL-16 along with 140 gr Sierra GK's, NBT's a Partitions. Ive also tried 150 gr NBT's, Partitions. Also have run some 139 gr Hornady and 154 gr SST's.

All of the of above have been stellar performers from the bench to point where I'm having a hard time deciding on what I'm going to "run", except for the 139 gr Hornady bullets and I suspect that I could have gotten better accuracy with a little more work but when the other loads were "falling into place" with relative ease I saw no reason to keep working with them.

46.5 grs of H414 and 140 gr NBT's generally shoot into 3/4 inch. 47.4 grs of RL-16 and a 140 gr NBT generally shoot into half inch with 45 grs of RL-16 and a 150 gr NBT shoot about the same. I'm leaning towards the RL-16 and 150 gr NBT.

42 grs of Varget and the 140 Sierra GK are stellar as well. Half inch or so. I don't know the velocity of any of these loads. Don't have a chrono yet. Too much procrastination on my part, but I think I'm gonna buy one.
However, I am thinking about picking up a T3/T3X to compliment the FC 7mm-08, BUT I have far too many rifles now.

Heard that!

A while back I decided that for every new one I got, I was going to get rid of one. I'm running a little behind on that, for excellent reasons, of course.

The FC I have on layaway MAY replace a couple. We'll see.

P

How a rifle shoots is only part of what I'm interested in. The FC I handled at an LGS just oozed quality and function. The Tiikas are interesting and function and shoot, no doubt about it. Might have to pick one up someday just for grins, but there's no lust for one in me.
Originally Posted by StudDuck

EuroOptic

Thanks. Theirs are backordered. Any others?
You guys have a lot more money than I do.

P
Just took possession of my first 7mm-08, it's a Barrett Fieldcraft with 21" tube. The rifle will be used for whitetail, aoudad and hopefully elk.

I have Lapua brass, Forster dies are on the way, but I need bullets and powder. Initially, I was thinking about loading 140gr Nosler Accubonds. Based upon my intended usage, is there another bullet I should consider or have I made a solid first choice?

I haven't consulted my manuals yet, but I'm looking for a powder recommendation; accuracy first, velocity second. Your thoughts?

Thank you.

Alpha 308 brass,driving a positive headspaced false shoulder,.003" constriction,Re-17,180 ELD's,200's and a magfed Smooch at 2600fps...not that I don't enjoy the notions of Ping Pong Ball Flingin' Window Lickers,talking out their asses. Hint. Laffin'!

Bless their hearts.

Wow +P+!

The 20 MOA extended 1913 rail,with all (5) base fasteners engaged and 40 MOA 'Horn's wearing a 6x MQ,go with out saying.

Just saying.

Hint.

This schit cracks me the fhuqk up!

Shaking my head.
Went to Sportsman's Warehouse today, no Varget in stock, but got a pound of Ramshot Big Game.

EuroOptic

Whittakers did have (4) 270 Win in stock.

EuroOptic

Whittakers did have (4) 270 Win in stock.

Yep, but their 7-08s are out of stock. I'd prefer to buy from them if possible. Waiting to see if they have any info on when they might get some more.

You been looking at my bank statement again?

You been looking at my bank statement again?

I'm siphoning $3.12 every statement. I'll be rich some day.

P

P

I doubt it, I'm a working-class schmuck with a mortgage and kids. I'm like Pappy, for every new one I buy, I try to sell one, but as he stated, I'm running behind on my quota. grin

I'm like Pappy, for every new one I buy, I try to sell one, but as he stated, I'm running behind on my quota. grin

Me too. But if you sell me one, and I sell you one, we can maintain the quota and useable space in the safe. Let me know when you're tired of the Barrett.
I'm like Pappy, for every new one I buy, I try to sell one, but as he stated, I'm running behind on my quota. grin

Me too. But if you sell me one, and I sell you one, we can maintain the quota and useable space in the safe. Let me know when you're tired of the Barrett.

grin

EuroOptic

I ordered my 6.5X55 through Whisper Firearms

Thank you.

I'm loading the 140 gr. Accubond and 45.4 grains of IMR 4350 with a CCI 200 primer. My velocity is in the 2770 range if I remember correctly. That's out of a Remington 700 CDL witha 24" barrel.

My Fieldcraft is a 6.5 X 55 and I am thoroughly enjoying it.
I have loaded quite a bit for the 708. I preferred the 150 Partitions and the 154 Hornady for elk and bear. I used 110 TnTs and killed over 200 coyotes with this bullet. My most accurate loads, however, were with 168 SMKs. I never found a better powder than Varget for any bullet weight from 110 to 168. Mine was a 10 twist. I never tried the Accubomb in that rifle but I don't think they shoot as well as the Partitions. They are probably a better 500 yard bullet if they shoot. Mine shot EVERYTHING to the same POI at 100 yards except that dreaded 120 Ballistic tip. They shot 4" off everything else. I quit using them because of this. I killed a LOT of feral horses with the 154s. Great bullet.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I have loaded quite a bit for the 708. I preferred the 150 Partitions and the 154 Hornady for elk and bear. I used 110 TnTs and killed over 200 coyotes with this bullet. My most accurate loads, however, were with 168 SMKs. I never found a better powder than Varget for any bullet weight from 110 to 168. Mine was a 10 twist. I never tried the Accubomb in that rifle but I don't think they shoot as well as the Partitions. They are probably a better 500 yard bullet if they shoot. Mine shot EVERYTHING to the same POI at 100 yards except that dreaded 120 Ballistic tip. They shot 4" off everything else. I quit using them because of this. I killed a LOT of feral horses with the 154s. Great bullet.

No Varget in stock locally, so I ended up with Ramshot Big Game, I think this is what Pharmseller is having success with.

I'll start with the Accubonds, if that doesn't work, I'll go to Partitions or ELD-X. It's been my experience that if the Accubonds don't shoot well, usually the Partitions will and vice versa. Seems to depend on the rifle.
Mule Deer suggests magnum primers with ball powders. I use WLRM with Big Game in the 7mm-08s I load for. I get slightly better accuracy and velocity compared to CCI200 primers.

P
Mule Deer suggests magnum primers with ball powders. I use WLRM with Big Game in the 7mm-08s I load for. I get slightly better accuracy and velocity compared to CCI200 primers.

P

Yep. I even got better accuracy with magnum primers in my Varget and 120 grain NBT load.

P

WLRM?

P

WLRM?

Google it.

P
You can just use Winchester primers period. The WLR is hotter than most of the non-magnum primers, that said, I have had great luck with regular primers in a 308 family case even with ball powders. I have used a lot of TAC, Big game and Hunter with standard primers getting excellent SDs and accuracy. Most of the time I am shooting in temperatures about 60 degrees so maybe this has some effect.

With H414 and 760 I do use WLR primers. They really seem to benefit from it but I haven't found the Ramshot powders as finicky.
Imr-4064 and the 120gn BT has been a good combo for me. Im running 41gns and getting great accuracy. Haven't worried about velocity much as this is a load for my 11 year old son.
Originally Posted by mohave_mauler1
Imr-4064 and the 120gn BT has been a good combo for me. Im running 41gns and getting great accuracy. Haven't worried about velocity much as this is a load for my 11 year old son.

I've got some 4064 in the cabinet, but initially, I will work with the Ramshot and 140gr NAB.....one powder, one bullet, less headaches.
grin

P

WLRM?

Google it.

P

No problem, will do.

So much for common or should I say uncommon courtesy.

My apologies, I thought you were joking. It’s a common term and WLRM is printed on the box. I also mentioned it specifically in the link I provided. No offense intended.

P

BG/WLRM, the combo that keeps on giving... grin

Thanks for sharing your results.

DF

P

WLRM?

Google it.

P

No problem, will do.

So much for common or should I say uncommon courtesy.

My apologies, I thought you were joking. It’s a common term and WLRM is printed on the box. I also mentioned it specifically in the link I provided. No offense intended.

P

It's not a common term for me; novice reloader here.

I read the article at the link prior to you posting, but didn't catch the acronym.

I gave my post some thought and was coming back to delete it, but looks like you've seen it. No offense taken, I apologize for being a jerk.
No worries. I’ve only been reloading for a few years, most guys on this board have forgotten more than I’ll ever know.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions, I load for four different 7mm-08 rifles using 120 TTSX, 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip (NBT or just BT), 140 Partition, 140 Accubond (AB or NAB), and 150 ELDX.

P
© 24hourcampfire