Home
Posted By: 79S Powder scale which one - 06/12/18
Probably been asked before but I'm looking for a new scale. Not one of the digital ones, something to replace my rcbs 5-0-5 scale. My current scale acting wonky as hell I cleaned and cleaned sometimes will be trickling powder in the pan it won't move. Does it enough that it's getting irritating, so time for a new scale. I looked at the reviews on the hornady, rcbs, Lyman, etc. they are all good. The only complaint on the Lyman one is it's made of plastic. Thanks.
Posted By: elkcountry Re: Powder scale which one - 06/12/18
I replaced my 5-0-5 with a 10-10 and life is good! Needed something that weighs more than 500gr for steel goose loads!

Elk Country
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Powder scale which one - 06/12/18
I have a Lyman "M5" scale by Ohaus. It is a nice scale I won't part with. I would look for an older Ohaus 1010 precision scale, or one of the Lyman m5 or RCBS 1010 scales made by Ohaus on ebay.

Ohaus 1010 scale - ebay search

lyman m5 scale - ebay search

Pic of mine along with an RCBS Chargemaster I sold in the classifieds a while back.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: VernAK Re: Powder scale which one - 06/12/18
Look for a 10-10.......I recently bought two off this site.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Powder scale which one - 06/12/18
I've owned a new Redding, RCBS 5-0-5, Ohaus 10-10 and Lyman M5; I prefer the Lyman M5.

IMO, the American-made 10-10 and M5 scales trump anything on the market today, excluding some of the extremely expensive electronic scales.

As stated above, go to Ebay or post a WTB ad on the Classifieds here.

Posted By: RDW Re: Powder scale which one - 06/12/18
Damn man, I was watching those M5's on Ebay.........<grin>

79'

I took my M5 apart Sunday and cleaned it good, including the jewels and tuned it, it's almost perfectly balanced at zero and 260.9 grains but I plan to check it again with a check weight in the 50-75 grain range that is the max for my powder charges. The 505 may just need a good cleaning and tune. I worked on the M5 because I wanted to check the charges the Pact is throwing and it happens to be pretty darn accurate.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Powder scale which one - 06/12/18
Get an Ohaus 10-10, the best balance beam scale out there. It is a design that has stood the test of time.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Powder scale which one - 06/12/18
I had a similar situation ... after 20-25 years my RCBS 5-0-5 started to be a little twitchy. I bought the 10-10 thinking it would be an upgrade. I like the 5-0-5 better and if I ever need a new replacement, I will go back to it.

Tom
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: Powder scale which one - 06/12/18
Another M5 fan here. Got it used but in great shape off eBay many moons ago.
Posted By: RDW Re: Powder scale which one - 06/12/18
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I had a similar situation ... after 20-25 years my RCBS 5-0-5 started to be a little twitchy. I bought the 10-10 thinking it would be an upgrade. I like the 5-0-5 better and if I ever need a new replacement, I will go back to it.

Tom

Why do you prefer the 505 over the 1010?
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Powder scale which one - 06/12/18

I went with a RCBS 304 to replace the Chargemaster...mainly because I wanted a set when I was younger.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Powder scale which one - 06/12/18
If I had a 505 that was acting up, I'd call RCBS. They'll make it work like new.

I think I may need to send my 5-10 back in...they refurbed it about 25 years ago and it worked perfectly, but I'm seeing signs of inconsistency again.
Posted By: drano 25 Re: Powder scale which one - 06/13/18
Another vote for an M5 or 10-10 manufactured by Ohaus. I have one of the Ohaus branded 10-10's. Great scale.
Posted By: lastround Re: Powder scale which one - 06/13/18
I’ve used a 5-0-5 since I started handloading. If it ever gives me a problem, it will go back to RCBS. I do take the beam off and dust it good every few times I use it.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Powder scale which one - 06/13/18
I'd echo the suggestions about calling RCBS. I did some searching online about tuning and maintaining balance beam scales. Found some threads with useful suggestions and among those were accounts of folks getting theirs refurbished by RCBS and those with Ohaus branded ones also for a small fee of about $7.50 by Ohaus (several years ago mind you). Nothing to lose but the time and effort of a phone call to find out.

Some links to threads. Boyd Allen seems to be one of the primary posters on the subject but there are some others scattered throughout the threads with useful info too, 1066 among them.

Links:

Balance beam scale maintenance - accurateshooter.com

"Tuning" a balance beam - accurateshooter.com

Accurize a balance beam scale? - benchrest.com
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Powder scale which one - 06/14/18
A few weeks ago, I finally gave up on my RCBS 1010 as I could not get it to hold zero regardless of what I tried. I told RCBS that I had cleaned the beam and rebalanced the weights in the pan holder so that when the scale base was perfectly level, the beam was level and showed zero. I also removed and cleaned the agate bearings with alcohol and polished them using my dremel tool. RCBS said that this was what they normally suggest and I should send it in for maintenance. About 4 weeks later, they sent me a new M1000 as they too were unable to get the scale to maintain zero.

Out of the box, the M1000 was accurate and actually a little easier to use than the 1010. I will say that the parallax is a bit more noticeable with the M1000 due to the distance between beam and zero mark. However, it works great when at eye level or when used with a USB or IP webcam and a tablet computer. I use the latter and am happy with it. That said, my trusty old 505 is what I use most when I not using my Chargemaster. Moral of the story, RCBS is great to work with.
Posted By: 79S Re: Powder scale which one - 06/14/18
I'm going to pick up another scale and send this one in. I got it 10yrs ago in the rock chucker supreme reloading kit, been a good scale upto now.
Posted By: ned Re: Powder scale which one - 06/14/18
Several thousand rounds and very happy with the RCBS 1010
Posted By: 79S Re: Powder scale which one - 06/16/18
Cleaned my scale the knife edge on the beam was shiny the graphite was worn off. So got some graphite reapplied to the areas. Then got some weight checks and wow my scale after I zeroed it then put the weights checks on was off .3grns I know some think that's nothing but still concerning. Hopefully this maintenance helps.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Powder scale which one - 06/16/18
The 10-10 is a fine scale, also the old 5-10 if you can find one (under the Ohaus or RCBS labels).
Posted By: 79S Re: Powder scale which one - 06/17/18
Well I wandered into the local gun shop today. They have a room full of odds and ends, brass, bullets, dies you name it's Probably in there. Anyhow me and the wife looking, i find a nib 5-10 rcbs scale made by ohaus for $49 bucks.
Originally Posted by 79S
Well I wandered into the local gun shop today. They have a room full of odds and ends, brass, bullets, dies you name it's Probably in there. Anyhow me and the wife looking, i find a nib 5-10 rcbs scale made by ohaus for $49 bucks.

You did good. Those are dang good scales... The SOB will probably outlast you..
Originally Posted by RiverRider
If I had a 505 that was acting up, I'd call RCBS. They'll make it work like new.

I think I may need to send my 5-10 back in...they refurbed it about 25 years ago and it worked perfectly, but I'm seeing signs of inconsistency again.

Yeah, just hope they don't try to replace it with one of those cheap plastic sob's they make now days... I'd be pissed if I sent them my Ohaus and got back a chinese replacement...
Posted By: 79S Re: Powder scale which one - 06/17/18
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

You did good. Those are dang good scales... The SOB will probably outlast you..

They had full box of 30 cal 190gr hornady btsp for $14 bucks. So I snagged them as well.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Powder scale which one - 06/17/18
Get an electronic one
Posted By: Gladesman Re: Powder scale which one - 06/18/18
For a while I was using both the RCBS 10-10 and the RCBS M500. Both are excellent scales. I gave the 10-10 scale to my son and kept the M500. I found the M500 to be every bit as accurate as the 10-10 and quicker and easier to set up and use. I always use two scales. I use the M500 in conjunction with a Frankford Arsenal digital. Between the two of them I am very satisfied that I am getting the level of consistency that I need.
Posted By: 79S Re: Powder scale which one - 06/18/18
Originally Posted by Bugger
Get an electronic one

Yeah I suppose...
Posted By: Bugger Re: Powder scale which one - 06/18/18
I have a 5-10 and a 10-10. But since I bought an electronic scale, I've not used either of the other scales other than to compare. The electronic scale is fast and is accurate. No down side to the electronic scale.
© 24hourcampfire