Home
I'm interested in anyone who may has reloading experience on a Winchester 1886 in 33 WCF and using the Hornady .338 FTX? Other than that, a Marlin 338 owners experience would be interesting.

I've had my '86 for over 20 years and during those years have reloaded using Hornady and Hawk 200 gr FN. Group size is in the 3" range and has been satisfactory for 100 yard deer hunting.

None the less, in the quest for ever tighter groups, I bought a box of the Hornady .338 FTX and loaded them to the proper OAL. I recognize they are intended for the 338 Marlin express but thought to experiment with my '86. I found that the nose seems to cant to the side of the magazine follower and then does not properly load. It essentially get's "stuck" in the loading riser. The FTX seems to shoot quite well (using single shot loads) and has much tighter groups than the (old) flat nose and has been in the high 1-2 inch range.

I use both original UMC 33 WCF brass, Bertram brass, and formed 45-70 Remington Brass. As you would expect, the brass has nothing to do with the result.

If someone has a Marlin 338 I'd be curious as to what the follower looks like.

Of course I could use an FTX in the chamber and followed by flat nose in the magazine but if someone has a solution to using the FTX in the magazine I'd be very interested in your experience.
Might try the gunsmithing forum, too.
Is the 33 a .338 cartridge? powdr
© 24hourcampfire