for one bolt action rifle, hunting weight barrel, new, for hunting use

don't own any other .308

which set would you start with:

1) RCBS 2 die set, FL sizer

2) RCBS 2 die set, neck sizer

3) Lee 4 die set
Posted By: Brad Re: first 308 die set.... - 09/20/18
Posted By: hiamovi Re: first 308 die set.... - 09/20/18
#1.You can neck size with a FL die if you want to.You can't FL with a neck die though.
Posted By: Craig2506 Re: first 308 die set.... - 09/20/18
I’ll go the other way and say 3. Comes with FL die, collet, crimp die, and seater. I’m been happier with my Lee dies than RCBS but that’s just my opinion

Craig
Posted By: mathman Re: first 308 die set.... - 09/20/18
Definitely not #2.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: first 308 die set.... - 09/20/18
None of the above.

Either Hornady or Redding. In the end you'll be glad you spent the extra $$.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: first 308 die set.... - 09/20/18
It's not on your list, but based on my limited experience: Forster Bench Rest die set (FL sizing die and bullet seating die).

I'll let you decide on the neck sizing die, but I like the Forster bushing dies.

If I had to pick from your list: No. 1

What make/model press are you running?
None of the above.

Forester.

RCBS X-Die set.

http://rcbs.com/Products/Dies-by-Category/X-Die/X-Die-Full-Length-Die-Set.aspx
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: first 308 die set.... - 09/21/18
Posted By: Grumulkin Re: first 308 die set.... - 09/21/18
Originally Posted by Sycamore

don't own any other .308

3) Lee 4 die set

I believe I have had or have examples of all the dies mentioned above and then some.

Neck sizing is overrated and I don't do it any longer.

I like RCBS dies (except the X dies) but don't like their lock rings so replace them with Hornady lock rings.

Hornady believes in the one size fits all theory so some of their dies are a lot bigger than they need to be. Their die boxes are also big, slick and clunky so take up too much room and don't stack well; other than that, they're fine.

Lee dies are fine but I don't like their lock rings except for applications where it doesn't matter if the die moves a little so replace them with Hornady lock rings. For crimping, nothing beats Lee Factory Crimp Dies but I wouldn't use them except for crimping Barnes bullets in 308 Winchester loads.

Redding dies are fine but they don't have the little relief hole RCBS dies have so if you use too much lube, you're more likely to collapse the case shoulder with Redding dies.

So, of the die sets you mention, I'd choose number 1 or 3 and replace the lock rings with Hornady lock rings.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: first 308 die set.... - 09/21/18
I'd start with a Lee collet neck sizer, a Redding body die, and a Forster seating die. The best of everything.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: first 308 die set.... - 09/21/18

#4........

Redding or Forster FL set
Posted By: Gladesman Re: first 308 die set.... - 09/21/18
Frankly, I am turned off of both RCBS and Hornady dies. Quality control has appeared to suffer somewhat on these. I have tried the Lee die sets with the crimp die included (#3). I have two sets now and they appear to work very well so far. I am a little skeptical of the locking rings, but have had no problems as of yet.
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
Originally Posted by Sycamore

don't own any other .308

3) Lee 4 die set

I believe I have had or have examples of all the dies mentioned above and then some.

Neck sizing is overrated and I don't do it any longer.

I like RCBS dies (except the X dies) but don't like their lock rings so replace them with Hornady lock rings.

Hornady believes in the one size fits all theory so some of their dies are a lot bigger than they need to be. Their die boxes are also big, slick and clunky so take up too much room and don't stack well; other than that, they're fine.

Lee dies are fine but I don't like their lock rings except for applications where it doesn't matter if the die moves a little so replace them with Hornady lock rings. For crimping, nothing beats Lee Factory Crimp Dies but I wouldn't use them except for crimping Barnes bullets in 308 Winchester loads.

Redding dies are fine but they don't have the little relief hole RCBS dies have so if you use too much lube, you're more likely to collapse the case shoulder with Redding dies.

So, of the die sets you mention, I'd choose number 1 or 3 and replace the lock rings with Hornady lock rings.

^^^^ This^^^^^^ I'd pick #1 myself.
BSA,

You've shares some really nice groups in the past. Any with the RCBS X dies?
Posted By: RiverRider Re: first 308 die set.... - 09/22/18
Originally Posted by Grumulkin

Hornady believes in the one size fits all theory so some of their dies are a lot bigger than they need to be.

I have not bought a Hornady die set since 2005 or so, but I had a set in .280 Remington and had an issue with them working on my Co-Ax press. It's been a while and I am not sure I remember what the deal was...either the original die body was too long and interfered with the yoke movement of the press OR the die body was too short and I couldn't seat a bullet as shallow as I needed to do. Wish I could remember for sure but it just ain't happeneing. Hornady sent me a different length seating die body to address the issue.
Posted By: Dan700mn Re: first 308 die set.... - 09/24/18
Redding competition or Forester
© 24hourcampfire