Home
Posted By: Shag .223 WSSM - 10/03/18
Besides brass availability? Can get one cheap. Pro's Con's..

Thanks
Posted By: bdan68 Re: .223 WSSM - 10/03/18
In my experience, too difficult to load for. The necks on the brass becomes too thick after just being fired twice. I'd get a 22-250 instead.
Posted By: k22hornet Re: .223 WSSM - 10/05/18
Pros?
Speed, more speed, and lot's of it. Hornaday list a 40gr Vmax at 4,600fps. It is the fastest commercial 22 out there.

Con's?
As Bdan68 said, necks are very thick. We get 2-3 firings per case then the necks split. I'm sure annealing the necks would help.

My son has had a Browning for 9-10 years, using it as a coyote rifle. With a 60gr Vmax at 3,700fps+, it hammers them.

He had a Winchester Black Shadow in 223wssm first. That was, the worst shooting rifle I have ever been around. Patterns, are what it shot. 2 on paper, 3 off, 1 on 4 off, etc.. Groups of 10-15" @100yds.

The Browning shoots great. Many loads are sub-MOA.

The barrels are chrome lined on both Win and Browning rifles. On another forum, someone posted they ran a bore scope down a Win 223wssm barrel and found the chrome lining to be patchy, with no chrome visible in some spots.

That could explain the erratic 'groups' of my son's Winchester.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: .223 WSSM - 10/05/18

your purpose ? Throat is probably gone......$500+ for new barrel.......

do your self a favor & buy a boring 8 or 9 twist standard 223

Get the dies & components to hand load it.......no frustration...no looking for brass

especially at a buck a pop........223 is still one tough to beat cartridge

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/223rem/
© 24hourcampfire