Home
Posted By: L2S Load Development Question???? - 02/11/19
Looking for some feedback on how many rounds do you typically test when doing your own reloading? I'm a starting a local company here in Utah and we are going to offer 5 packs of 5 projectiles of your choice for $30 and wondering if 5 is the right number. It is better to be able to pay $30 and get 5 different choices to try vs. paying up to $300 and not using all the projectiles. Thoughts?
I usually load 10 rounds of a given load to test during load development, I buy a box of bullets so I can try different powders, charges, seating depth etc. before trying another bullet. I get lots of load development info from Ken Water's Pet Loads, saves trying combinations that may or may not work. Found a great load for my .35 Whelen in Pet Loads, back in the 1980's Ken would answer reader questions I have several of his letters where he shared info with me.
I usually start with 6-8 loads of 3 rounds at varying charge weights. So 18-25.

I dont think I know anyone that tries 5 rounds of a particular bullet and moves on. Given that bullets perform differently at different velocities and searing depths. I could be wrong. I know I'd personally use at a minimum of 25.
This ^^
I agree with the 18-25, just 5 would be a waste of time IMO
Unfortunately it’s being done by a number of sources. Most are offering 10-12 packs which is a little more feasible for testing.
Yeah, 5 bullets is pretty useless, not worth the time to load. I could see doing packs of 25.
Packs of 25 for 30? Might as well buy a box of 50. Then again, maybe 30 bucks for some 416 bullets isn't too bad.
It takes me nearly 50,

A couple rounds to foul the bore if it's squeaky clean. 5-6 loads of 3 each with increasing charges to see where velocity/pressure is.

3-4 loads of 3 each to work out seating depth, if I'm lucky.

A couple groups of 3-5 each to prove the load and a few extra bullets if I want to tweak the load.

If I change powder, I'll need more bullets so I can start over.

H1000 or maybe MagPro or H4831 or RL26

Sometimes I figure out I don't want to fuss with a bullet that's not working out but there's always other rifles to try them in.

Maybe that's why I have so much clutter....
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I agree with the 18-25, just 5 would be a waste of time IMO

5 would be a hell of a waste of time.
Posted By: Azar Re: Load Development Question???? - 02/11/19
I certainly wouldn't bother with 5 bullets. I know there is a member here who already runs a similar service, subMOA Shooting, that offers sample packs of 12 bullets. Even that is a bit smaller than I personally would like to test.

I'd agree with the others that 20-25 rounds would be where my interest is peaked if the cost is reasonable. But for me, I will always use all the projectiles. There is always a need for fouling shots, plinking, or practice loads...
Posted By: EM1 Re: Load Development Question???? - 02/11/19
I personally know within 5 rounds if it is going to work or not, but would be nice to have options to buy 2 packs of the same bullets in case I wanted to do 10. I can't tell you how many cases I try to sell because I have not used them all. What is your business called, I'd like to check you out.
You should publish and sell your method. You could be retired by weeks end.
Your join date and time is pretty coincidental.
Originally Posted by warpig602

Sock puppets and trolls. One is born every minute, and it looks like two were born in this thread.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Sock puppets and trolls. One is born every minute, and it looks like two were born in this thread.

Yep
Posted By: 79S Re: Load Development Question???? - 02/12/19
Chit just buy remington ammo and repackage it as custom loaded ammo. You will be in Hawaii on the beach the end of the year..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Yep

Wish I would have screen shot it.

EM1 joined yesterday at 11:36p
OP, L2S's last seen time was 11:34p

Doesnt say that now but it was comical.
Posted By: L2S Re: Load Development Question???? - 02/12/19
Thanks to everyone who gave feedback and advise. It was greatly appreciated.
Originally Posted by L2S
Looking for some feedback on how many rounds do you typically test when doing your own reloading? I'm a starting a local company here in Utah and we are going to offer 5 packs of 5 projectiles of your choice for $30 and wondering if 5 is the right number. It is better to be able to pay $30 and get 5 different choices to try vs. paying up to $300 and not using all the projectiles. Thoughts?

I’m not sure I even understand what you are trying to sell. Is it 5 packs of 5 rounds of loaded ammo or 5 packs of 5 bullets? Are they all the same weight? Very confusing question. If there’s anyone out there that finishes their load development with 5 rounds I’d sure like to talk to them.
Personally, I'd rather not have to purchase a pound of powder to find out whether it works in my rifle or not. I know one of the mfg tried to offer 1/4 lb packages at one time so, I'm guessing that didn't work too well either.
Originally Posted by Bbear
Personally, I'd rather not have to purchase a pound of powder to find out whether it works in my rifle or not. I know one of the mfg tried to offer 1/4 lb packages at one time so, I'm guessing that didn't work too well either.

Hodgdon Xperimental packs. Introduced around 03-04 died real quick.
I wouldnt mind the smaller powder packs. Luckily I have enough calibers that usually nothing would go to waste. The downside to the powder pack would if there were big lot to lot inconsistencies.
© 24hourcampfire