Home
Posted By: Otter6 Northfork ? - 05/11/19
How are Northfork bullets for " fussy " ?
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Northfork ? - 05/11/19
Not fussy at ALL. I shoot em in my 338 (and 270 when I take it) for elk and they perform very well accuracy wise. John Barsness suggested that I do initial load development with a Hornady bullet, see which powder the rifle prefers and only then, refine the load with NF’s. That was great advice, given that NF’s are so $$$$. I found my 338 and 270 liked RL-19 and RL-26 respectively. Both rifles shot between .4” and .5” groups at 100 yards which I considered outstanding. There was nothing fussy or challenging about load workup. Didn’t have to play games with seating depth, etc. Pressures were just fine, I suspect because of the bands cut into the bullets.....never a single instance of pressure signs.

Terminal performance on elk was other worldly. It flattened every elk shot...quickly. Recovered bullets are all classic, picture worthy, mushrooms with very high weight retention.

Try em.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Northfork ? - 05/11/19
I will second that non-fussiness. Work great in all the calibers I've tried.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Northfork ? - 05/11/19
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Not fussy at ALL. I shoot em in my 338 (and 270 when I take it) for elk and they perform very well accuracy wise. John Barsness suggested that I do initial load development with a Hornady bullet, see which powder the rifle prefers and only then, refine the load with NF’s. That was great advice, given that NF’s are so $$$$. I found my 338 and 270 liked RL-19 and RL-26 respectively. Both rifles shot between .4” and .5” groups at 100 yards which I considered outstanding. There was nothing fussy or challenging about load workup. Didn’t have to play games with seating depth, etc. Pressures were just fine, I suspect because of the bands cut into the bullets.....never a single instance of pressure signs.

Terminal performance on elk was other worldly. It flattened every elk shot...quickly. Recovered bullets are all classic, picture worthy, mushrooms with very high weight retention.

Try em.

The 270 is what I'm looking at. The 150 grain to be exact. My rifle likes 150s, be it Hornady or Game King.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Northfork ? - 05/12/19
270 150 grain is what I used in that case.
Posted By: hiamovi Re: Northfork ? - 05/12/19
What are you trying to kill?Those bullets seem like a whole lot of nothing.They are a barnes bullet made from lead.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Northfork ? - 05/12/19
No...nothing like a Barnes.

More like the old recipie Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, only better.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Northfork ? - 05/12/19
I would have to think the Northfork would open to maximum dimension, at lower impact velocities. The Tippped Trophy Bonded was pretty intriguing, but for whatever reason, they consistently grouped to the right for me.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Northfork ? - 05/14/19
Good bullets. They just have to get on board with the BC issue man......

I mean not ELD-X BC but at least Nosler Partition BC or the sort.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Northfork ? - 05/14/19
I hear ya brother. I really like the old Grand Slams. Kinda blunt as well. I'm down to 8 or 10 of each,130 & 150 grain .277s. I've got a bunch of the new generation jobbies.
Posted By: prm Re: Northfork ? - 05/14/19
How do they perform compared to a Woodleigh? Softer, harder? In my informal trials, the Woodleigh opens quite wide. Definitely wider than an Accubond.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Northfork ? - 05/14/19
Originally Posted by Fotis
Good bullets. They just have to get on board with the BC issue man......

I mean not ELD-X BC but at least Nosler Partition BC or the sort.

The bc issue is not that big of a deal with me. Part of their strong terminal performance is attributed to their less than pointy profile.

When I’m getting 0.4” groups out of my Sako 338 (1968 vintage) I give the bullet a break over it’s less than stellar bc. NF doesn’t even bother to compute bc’s for their bullets. I just put in real world range time and chart my drops from 100 to 500 yards on the range and I’m good to go. Using a computer ballistics program I was able to “reverse engineer “ the data and come up with a bc which was a useless endeavor since I’m had already charted the drops.

The closest I’ve shot a bull with the NF’s was 110 yards, the furthest was 351 yards. Same results on all shots. Bang, flop. Right there. Recovered bullets all looked the same...nice mushroom.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Northfork ? - 05/14/19
Originally Posted by prm
How do they perform compared to a Woodleigh? Softer, harder? In my informal trials, the Woodleigh opens quite wide. Definitely wider than an Accubond.

Northforks are an order of magnitude better in my opinion. Sort of an improved A Frame. Very accurate bullets with high quality control
Posted By: prm Re: Northfork ? - 05/14/19
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by prm

Northforks are an order of magnitude better in my opinion. Sort of an improved A Frame. Very accurate bullets with high quality control

A 200gn at 2700 sounds like good elk medicine! Thanks.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Northfork ? - 05/15/19
My NF’s are 225 grains moving at ~ 2775 FPS. Nasty killers.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jorgen_Bostrom Re: Northfork ? - 01/16/20
I read in forum North Fork is shutting down. I can say they dont shutting down. I bought all machines and will continue manufacture this great bullets. Agent in US and Canada will be Reloading International. So this bullet will still be available
Posted By: shinbone Re: Northfork ? - 01/16/20
Jorgen - that is great news. When will your version of these bullets become available in the U.S. market?
Posted By: Jorgen_Bostrom Re: Northfork ? - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by shinbone
Jorgen - that is great news. When will your version of these bullets become available in the U.S. market?

I left around 300 boxes at Mike. http://www.reloadinginternational.com/
He will be the agent for US and Canada market and in some days or weeks he update webpage with what he have home. When machine arrive here i start production so he have what you customer wants.
Posted By: Jorgen_Bostrom Re: Northfork ? - 01/19/20
Originally Posted by hiamovi
What are you trying to kill?Those bullets seem like a whole lot of nothing.They are a barnes bullet made from lead.

Do you know how North Fork bullets are made?
© 24hourcampfire