Home
Posted By: NYH1 Looking to get into reloading? - 06/25/19
Is THIS a good kit to get for someone looking to get into reloading? I/we will be starting off with 223 Rem. for our bolt guns, 5.56 for our AR's and 308 Win. Once we get the hang of it we'll probably expand what we reload, other rifles and pistols.

I realize you guys that have been doing it for a long time can probably point out better or different components that work good for you. I'd like to start out buying a kit with most of what we need to get started. We can always change things as we go.

Thanks, NYH1.
It's a good start. You'll need to add a case trimmer. You'll soon be wanting a separate powder measure stand.
What he said.

It will load a lot of ammo and should last a long time.
Wow that was quick, thanks for the replies!

NYH1.

Mathman nailed it. And, as you gain experience and knowledge, you’ll find other items that you will want to add. But that kit and the aforementioned add-ons will certainly get you started and serve you well for many, many years if not a lifetime.
get the baffle for the measure.....
I don’t agree with this at all. Unless you are going to hardly reload at all, get a turret or progressive. This notion that everyone needs to start off with a single stage press is utter nonsense. Pay attention, it’s really not that complicated. Buy stuff on sale and get a T7 or a 550 or some other turret or progressive.
Good way to get started. You will add stuff later well maye not much later
Originally Posted by huntsman22

+1

Might be the best $8.95 you'll ever spend in reloading.
Great info!

Thanks, NYH1.
T7 on sale now at Brownells also you can look up a code to get another 10% off and free shipping. Great press.
Originally Posted by plainsman456
What he said.

It will load a lot of ammo and should last a long time.

That kit will last a lifetime. I also agree with mathman. He's going to need a trimmer. I'd opt for a case prep center like the frankford arsenal. It does an excellent job and is not too expensive. To me, it's worth every penny. The op is also going to need a powder trickler. I'd look around and find a good heavy one. The cheap pos that they used to supply in the RCBS supreme kit was garbage. He'll also need a good caliper for measuring things like brass length and over all length..
Originally Posted by RiverRider

+1

I've never used one. Never had the need to. So..... it may not be the "best" nor needed.... Just sayin
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

+1

I've never used one. Never had the need to. So..... it may not be the "best" nor needed.... Just sayin

The baffle will reduce variations in charge weight as the amount of powder in the hopper decreases.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

+1

Never needed one in my old Hornady measure, but it definitely helps the uni-flow measure.
The baffle is a good idea.
Originally Posted by smallfry
I don’t agree with this at all. Unless you are going to hardly reload at all, get a turret or progressive. This notion that everyone needs to start off with a single stage press is utter nonsense. Pay attention, it’s really not that complicated. Buy stuff on sale and get a T7 or a 550 or some other turret or progressive.

Turret yes. Progressive no.

A good turret press like a Redding T7 is basically seven single stage presses set up in one place. It doesn't complicate the learning curve.
I rather enjoy loading on my Rock Chucker II that's been around for decades, and will continue to do so till I'm gone.

Not everyone loads 10,000 rounds a year, or finds the need in racing through everything they do in life. Often simpler is better and more enjoyable.
I've never used a progressive, but I would think load development using a progressive would be a real PITA.
Great kit and an awesome place to start.

I have used Rock Chucker for over 40 years. The way I reload, I needed nothing else.

I do have a 12ga MEC Progessive, I load 40-50 boxes, when I get started.

Recently bought a turret press, set it for .357 cowboy loads.

The 13 calibers I load are all on the Rock Chucker.

My (ab) normal routine,

I bought a Lee universal recapping die.

I seperate brass and decap. Even calibers I don't load.

Dump brass in for cleaning.

Seperate, it may be days, even weeks before this happens.
( calibers I don't load are in jugs to sell or trade )

Resize and prime, all brass

This is relaxing, for me.

Again, it may be days or weeks.

When I sit down to load. I am dropping powder and sweating bullets. Maybe 1 caliber or it could be 5-6 calibers, in one day. Quick change of crimp die and shell holder, set powder measure, keep going.

A progressive or turret is out of my norm.
It's a great kit. I started with it as well. I bought a calipers and a tumbler for the brass. If you need a .223 FL die set, let me know. I think I have 2 of them for some reason.
You will definitely need a caliper to measure OAL and case length, also may want to consider a LEE collect neck die for the bolt guns and a Hornady or Sierra reloading manual for a little more variety. Lee makes a nifty case trimmer which is caliber specific but handy if only loading for one or two calibers, once you have the 223 and 308 bases then all you have to add are the mandrills for other cases with similar case heads.

I started reloading over 50 years ago with a RCBS Jr press and moved up to the Rock Chucker about 25 years ago they have taken care of all my reloading needs. Do get the baffle and bench stand for the Uniflow powder dispenser. I set my Uniflow and bench stand on a 7"x9"x3/4" piece of plywood with a double thickness of plywood under the base to give a little more clearance. I can just move it around as needed.

Good luck on reloading.
Mandrel:

[Linked Image]

Mandrill:

[Linked Image]
Awww, cmon mathman. Stop monkeyin around.

wink
Is it just me, or does that ape look like it has a rainbow ass?
He just made a monkey out of me - laugh laugh laugh
https://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/measuring-tools/bullet-comparators/sinclair-hex-style-bullet-comparators-prod83792.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=

Get one of these HEX NUT bullet comparators $20 , the address is too long for my paste skills , copy/paste it put it in your address bar and it'll find it .

Or search on Sinclair International for hex nut , .

Use it with your caliper to know how far off the rifling in the barrel you are .- known as ''jump'' 15-20 thousandths is common in bolt guns .
© 24hourcampfire