Home
Today at lunch I grabbed a box of Berger Classic Hunter, .308 cal, 168gr bullets. Being in a rush, I didn’t pay attention...I meant to grab VLD Hunter.

What’s the difference?

They look very similar.
The classic hunter is designed to fit in standard SAAMI parameter length and magazine and be just as accurate as the VLD hunting, and has just a touch less G7, I think .251 compared to .255 in the VLD hunting.
Thank you. Have you tried them on game?

I’m finding info stating the same as you do. However, I’m not finding much on game experience.
I shot some pigs with 185gr classic hunters from my .308. Load was stupid accurate and rough on pigs. Even got a double at 465+ yards IIRC.

John
I have used both the Classic and the regular one.

Performance wise in any animal I have killed with them I could have not been able to tell any difference between the two.

Accuracy wise the Classic has been easier to find a COL sweet spot. In the three rifles I have shot them I found it at first try by loading them as close to the lands as is advisable in a hunting gun.
Thank you guys.
The 6mm version the Classic has more of a secant ogive before it transitions to the tangent part. This makes seating depth less critical, The target version was called length tolerant or something like that for a while. I thought the nose shape was critical to the delayed opening of Bergers, but apparently not.
© 24hourcampfire