Home
Posted By: croz2173 .243 95 BT - 08/13/19
Loading up the .243 with 95 grain Ballistic Tips at 3050 for whitetail season. Said bullet seems to have a great reputation on this site. For those experienced with it, any shots under 200 yards you would feel at all iffy about? Quartering hard, frontal, shoulders?
Posted By: ingwe Re: .243 95 BT - 08/13/19
For whitetails...nothing iffy about it.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: .243 95 BT - 08/13/19
Originally Posted by ingwe

Yep. I’ve killed truck loads of TX whitetails and hogs with them here at the Ranch.
And more than a few antelopes in TX & NM.
Posted By: Dixie_Rebel Re: .243 95 BT - 08/14/19
I've worked well for sure when I used them.

Great deer bullet in my opinion.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: .243 95 BT - 08/14/19
I've never heard a negative report on that bullet when it comes to killing deer.
Posted By: Sixkiller Re: .243 95 BT - 08/14/19
IMO that scares me I know a lot of folks sing praise on the BT but I have not had suck luck with killing with them I will say the shoot lights out groups but I have had 3 of them blow up and not penetrate on coyotes closest one was the first one at 103 yards and it was a head shot hit him right between the eyes and he flipped backwards only to get back up a minute or so latter after the second shot hit front shoulder at 117 yards he went into a ditch where he had to be finished with my side arm. 3 one was also hit forward and in the shoulder at 241 yards it also just splattered so that is my limited knowledge and experience with that bullet in the 243. If I could figure out how to post pics I would share them
Posted By: JGRaider Re: .243 95 BT - 08/14/19
Landowner's son had no problem dropping this really nice buck with the 95gr BT.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: .243 95 BT - 08/14/19
Originally Posted by Sixkiller
IMO that scares me I know a lot of folks sing praise on the BT but I have not had suck luck with killing with them I will say the shoot lights out groups but I have had 3 of them blow up and not penetrate on coyotes closest one was the first one at 103 yards and it was a head shot hit him right between the eyes and he flipped backwards only to get back up a minute or so latter after the second shot hit front shoulder at 117 yards he went into a ditch where he had to be finished with my side arm. 3 one was also hit forward and in the shoulder at 241 yards it also just splattered so that is my limited knowledge and experience with that bullet in the 243. If I could figure out how to post pics I would share them

What year was that, 1984?
Posted By: Blackheart Re: .243 95 BT - 08/14/19
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

What year was that, 1984?
Musta been some big azz coyotes.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: .243 95 BT - 08/14/19
The original 95 grain B Tips in the green and red box seemed quite fragile. I shot a bedded antelope from behind and centered the spine, oh the carnage.
When I butchered it I never found a bullet fragment much larger than sand. Ruined a lot of meat. That was 25+ years ago. Today’s Ballistic Tips are much better and wouldn’t hesitate to use them on deer.
Really like the 120 grain in 7/08.
Posted By: ckat Re: .243 95 BT - 08/14/19
Originally Posted by ingwe

x2
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: .243 95 BT - 08/14/19

Never had anything iffy with the 95gr BT on whitetails.

Great bullet
Posted By: mathman Re: .243 95 BT - 08/14/19

This 95 grain Bal Tip?

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: croz2173 Re: .243 95 BT - 08/14/19
Sounds like apart from armored coyotes I shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: .243 95 BT - 08/14/19
The first BT’s produced did blow up on contact. Not just in the 243 but in many calibers. They have been improved. I don’t know how but now everyone swears by them. Hasbeen
Posted By: JPro Re: .243 95 BT - 08/14/19
I shot them somewhere around 1992, when they first came out. Very accurate and deadly on deer, but I didn't get exits fairly regularly. It sounds like they are tougher these days, but I generally stick with a controlled expansion bullet for dedicated hunting in the .24-.25cal offerings. In my opinion, the cup/core stuff is fine for general knock-around use, especially when varmints and other targets of opportunity are on the menu.
Posted By: Sixkiller Re: .243 95 BT - 08/14/19
Nope was winter of 17-18 when it happened to me. I know a lot of folks have great luck with them was just my experience is all
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: .243 95 BT - 08/14/19

The varmit weight ballistic tips are made to be soft. The 95 grain is not a varmit bullet. It's hard to imagine one hitting a coyote in the head and failing to provide enough penetration.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: .243 95 BT - 08/15/19
I like the 90 grain Nosler Accubond a whole lot better than the Ballistic tip. A little more money but a lot better hunting bullet IMO. I use Barnes TTSX and Hornady GMX in 6mm for game bigger than deer.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: .243 95 BT - 08/15/19
Dropped a whitetail doe(2009) at about 70 yards and an antelope(2016) at 355 and stuff in between with my 6 Rem and 95 NBT's, they leave the muzzle of mine around 3215. Never had one blow up or fail to pass thru.
Posted By: SKane Re: .243 95 BT - 08/15/19
Originally Posted by croz2173
For those experienced with it, any shots under 200 yards you would feel at all iffy about? Quartering hard, frontal, shoulders?

Nothing iffy about it – it'll flat-out work.
The only IF is whether you're big on saving meat and would rather not work through strawberry jello when processing. whistle

90gr Accubond and 95 LRX is what I've gone to in the .243(s) for deer – due to the above.
Posted By: vmax204 Re: .243 95 BT - 08/22/19
Originally Posted by SKane
For those experienced with it, any shots under 200 yards you would feel at all iffy about? Quartering hard, frontal, shoulders?

The only IF is whether you're big on saving meat and would rather not work through strawberry jello when processing. whistle

90gr Accubond and 95 LRX is what I've gone to in the .243(s) for deer – due to the above.

I agree. I stopped using BT's in anything over 2700 fps due to the shock damage from the higher velocities. They will definitely do the job but my main interest is in saving as much meat as possible and the the damage caused can easily be prevented by using a different bullet. Accubonds or mono bullets are all I use for big game hunting now. I find POI almost identical for accubonds and ballistic tips so use the BT's for target shooting and sighting in and the accubonds for doing the killing.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: .243 95 BT - 08/22/19
Originally Posted by SKane

I've seen that Jello mix a few times. The bullet does a great job killing critters.
Posted By: ShortRifleFan Re: .243 95 BT - 10/20/19
Skane,

Are you using the 95 LRX in the 243 Winchester? If so, what twist does your rifle have? I'm curious if that bullet will stabilize at 3000+ fps in the 1:10 twist barrels.
Posted By: 1minute Re: .243 95 BT - 10/20/19
Cookie has used 85 grain slugs in her 6 mm for deer and pronghorn. Longest was a small buck at around 400 yds. No complaints from the animals at all. Should be fine with a 95.
Posted By: wink_man Re: .243 95 BT - 10/20/19
There were lots of complaints initially of ballistic tips blowing up on game in all calibers, but they were designed tougher as a result, some supposedly extremely tough.

From what I understand, and John Barsness and Steve Timm would know better and can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's been said that Gail Root, former ballistician at Nosler was given a free hand to design the 95 grain Ballistic Tip bullet in .243 caliber, the 243 Winchester being his favorite cartridge and that he designed it tough enough to work on big game up to and including elk.

Steve Timm has also remarked here at the Campfire that the 120 grain Ballistic Tip in .284 caliber is an extremely tough bullet despite being a lighter option in that caliber.
Posted By: Tejano Re: .243 95 BT - 10/21/19
I have yet to recover one from somewhere around 18 deer so far. No complaints from me. I stocked up on these and partitions and so far have never felt the need for the partitions. I will have to shoot some to compare. One place has a hog on it that is well over 300 lbs. that would be a good use of the partitions.

This hog has knocked over feeders that had three "T" posts holding them down, he bends the legs and the "T" posts then eats the entire barrel of corn sometimes pushing it over 100 yards away. His tracks are almost the size of a steers.
© 24hourcampfire