Home
Posted By: memtb Material for Target Board - 08/18/19

For many years I’ve used Celotex (Fiber Board) for my target frame to staple my targets to. Well years and hundreds of rounds and it needs replacing. Can’t find fiber board anymore. What do you guys use for thesis purpose at home or at the range! Thanks, memtb
Posted By: kingston Re: Material for Target Board - 08/18/19
At one of my clubs, we use 1/2 foam core from discarded trade show displays. It’s great stuff. You might have to dumpster dive your local convention center/ hotel.
I use a sheet of plywood that has been cut into 20x24.

They take a lot of shots and even with the center shot away they still work.

I use duct tape to hold targets on and after several trips i take them off then put a new target on the board.

The stand is one of the older highway caution sign holders so it does not need to be stuck in the ground and when done shooting it folds up.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Material for Target Board - 08/18/19
I use the thick rubber horse stall mats found at tractor supply. Somewhat self healing, they last well.

John
At our club we use discarded campaign signs. They last a pretty good while and are free for the asking after elections are over
cardboard?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Material for Target Board - 08/18/19

I like fur on my targets............... grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: memtb Re: Material for Target Board - 08/18/19
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I use the thick rubber horse stall mats found at tractor supply. Somewhat self healing, they last well.

John

John, I was just looking at them at a local store (similar to Tractor Supply)......thinking that may be good for my purpose. My wife and I discussed it about a week ago, and she didn’t think it would work well.....I’m glad to hear that it works well. I assume that you “staple” your targets to the mat! memtb
Thanks for all of the ideas, even the “furry” one. The groups may be a little difficult to measure on the “furry” target though!! grinm Though, if the bullet doesn’t hit exactly as planned... you could blame it on the target moving! wink memtb
Cardboard.
Posted By: hanco Re: Material for Target Board - 08/18/19
1/2 plywood works well!
I’v used plywood before, but sometimes the plywood “splinters” back into the paper.....making measuring groups impossible! memtb
I use recycled election signs. They give the added satisfaction of punching holes in the signs of those I voted against.
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
I use recycled election signs. They give the added satisfaction of punching holes in the signs of those I voted against.

I may place the used election signs behind the target....a “two for one”! grin memtb
Originally Posted by memtb
I’v used plywood before, but sometimes the plywood “splinters” back into the paper.....making measuring groups impossible! memtb

Yeah, I've always used plywood. It works, but not the greatest. At our club, we use something like election signs. Its corrugated plastic that you can buy in sheets at home depot. It works pretty good and lasts a while. Seems like I'm always replacing the plywood and its heavier than the plastic sign material. More weight is sometimes better if you are shooting in the wind though.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Material for Target Board - 08/18/19

John

John, I was just looking at them at a local store (similar to Tractor Supply)......thinking that may be good for my purpose. My wife and I discussed it about a week ago, and she didn’t think it would work well.....I’m glad to hear that it works well. I assume that you “staple” your targets to the mat! memtb

I use push pins to secure the targets. Target frame is 2 7/8 oilfield pipe sized to fit the mat. On the inside of the frame is 1 1/2” metal strap welded to the pipe. I secure the mat to the strap with bolts, fender washers and locknuts.

John

John

I use push pins to secure the targets. Target frame is 2 7/8 oilfield pipe sized to fit the mat. On the inside of the frame is 1 1/2” metal strap welded to the pipe. I secure the mat to the strap with bolts, fender washers and locknuts.

John

Geez, I was going to ask if the rubber mats didn't make your target stand heavy but I guess with the rest of the construction, weight is not an issue!
Mine is 3/8 plywood with aluminum angle iron frame, I have to transport it to and from the range and carry it to set up.
I use cardboard in all my target frames, when I get a supply of large cardboard cartons I cut them to fit the different target stands so I always have a supply. The target stands are marked with a Sharpie as to the size cardboard that fits each. For a lightweight easily transportable target I hot glue spring clothespins to all four corners of cardboard and clip the backer to orange fiberglass driveway marker stakes.
Posted By: Dre Re: Material for Target Board - 08/19/19
Go by construction job sites pick up scraps of OSB
Posted By: memtb Re: Material for Target Board - 08/19/19
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

John

John

Geez, I was going to ask if the rubber mats didn't make your target stand heavy but I guess with the rest of the construction, weight is not an issue!
Mine is 3/8 plywood with aluminum angle iron frame, I have to transport it to and from the range and carry it to set up.

Blacktailer, I’m lucky, as these are a permanent set-up. Our bench for our little range (100 and 300 yards) is right out the back door! One of these days I’m gonna build a lightweight, portable, setup for long range shooting. We’ll have to drive a mile or so to shoot long range! memtb
I've used all the above except the floor mats. I've also used chicken wire with clothes pins to hold the targets. One is only held back by their imagination. My favorite is the political signs as they are light to carry plus cheap and easy to get.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: Material for Target Board - 08/19/19
The last two years I`ve used 1/12x2 ( space opening) plastic green shrubbery netting. Light, cheap, can see through it, lasts a long time. I use plastic clothes pins to hang my targets. My berm is wide enough to move the targets around, helping backing life. So far, beats anything else I`ve tried...tho all mentioned above work.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Material for Target Board - 08/20/19
The state range uses the pink sheet foam board. 1" thick I think. Then they supply toothpicks for target holding. Some guys bring staplers or tape.
After using all sorts of materials, my favourite is the corrugated plastic used in election signs. The signs are free after elections, last a long time and a lot of shots (minorly self-healing), and take staples very well. If you can find the ones mounted on survey stakes rather than the wire frames, all the better!
Posted By: memtb Re: Material for Target Board - 08/31/19
Update: Just finished putting up the “horse stall” mats. Boy....those things are heavy! grin Target in foreground is the 100 yard target frame, and though difficult to see....to the left, just in front of the berm, is the 300 yard target frame. memtb

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Material for Target Board - 09/01/19
👍🏻👍🏻
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
After using all sorts of materials, my favourite is the corrugated plastic used in election signs. The signs are free after elections, last a long time and a lot of shots (minorly self-healing), and take staples very well. If you can find the ones mounted on survey stakes rather than the wire frames, all the better!

I like these too and you can pick up about as many as you want when the elections or events are over.

Spray paint them fluorescent green or pink to more easily see any shots that don't make it onto the target sheet.
Posted By: immature Re: Material for Target Board - 09/07/19
Some outdoor advertisements at places like convenience stores and markets are made of the same material as campaign signs, sometimes of thicker material. I got a couple of signs years ago that lasted much longer than the thinner ones.
Posted By: colodog Re: Material for Target Board - 09/10/19
The local range used plywood backers that varied from new to ugly large holes.
Everyone that wanted to measure their shots would staple cardboard under their targets.
The cardboard supports the paper for clean round holes with no tearing.
Easy to throw in the trunk till it's used up.
Coroplast
Posted By: memtb Re: Material for Target Board - 09/12/19
Finally got to do some shooting on the “new” target frames yesterday. I used “push pins” to secure the target. That horse stall mat is tough, pins didn’t go in easy....but held “very” good. The place that the bullet (6.5) went through was approximately the size of a ball point pin point....entrance and exit point. Judging from the damage done to the mat.....it should last a couple of lifetimes! memtb
Originally Posted by colodog
The local range used plywood backers that varied from new to ugly large holes.
Everyone that wanted to measure their shots would staple cardboard under their targets.
The cardboard supports the paper for clean round holes with no tearing.
Easy to throw in the trunk till it's used up.

Yep, I use a 4'x4' sheet of OSB covered with a sheet of corrugated cardboard. I can hang six standard rifle targets on it. The OSB will last thousands and thousands of rounds. The corrugated facing is easily replaced, but will usually last about six months in our weather.
© 24hourcampfire