Home
Posted By: Kenneth lets buy a chronograph. - 08/18/19
Cost will likely be the only criteria I might throw at ya, I just don't use them that often......(and I'm a cheap ass)..........

Prochrono? 100 bucks?

what else is worth considering?

best place to buy?

The labradar looks cool has hell, but 500 bucks ifirc.......No.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/18/19
In my experience (and I've used a bunch of 'em, including Labradar, Magnetospeed and Oehler) the Prochrono is THE 100-buck deal. Very accurate and reliable for the price
Posted By: Kenneth Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/18/19
Blue tooth Prochrono??? cool factor there.....

Units do not come with tripod?

which one do i need?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/18/19
I have only used the basic Pal model.--in fact two, both of which worked fine. As far as I know none come with a tripod
Posted By: Higginez Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/19/19
The Magneto Speed Sporter is worth a hard look.

Very accurate numbers that don't rely on the position of the sun or require placement down range all while taking up very little room in a range bag.

Huge thumbs up.
Posted By: spj Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/19/19
Early in my time I had a shooting Chrony. Then I put a 200 grain 338 round through it trying to multitask. Best thing I ever did. Prochrono now and much happier.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/19/19
Originally Posted by Higbean

Very accurate numbers that don't rely on the position of the sun or require placement down range all while taking up very little room in a range bag.

Huge thumbs up.

That unit actually looks handy, no tripod to set, you're never downrange, no unit in the line of fire.......

You Sir, have my attention.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/19/19

Huge thumbs up.

Any noticeable change in impact while using this?
Posted By: Fotis Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/19/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In my experience (and I've used a bunch of 'em, including Labradar, Magnetospeed and Oehler) the Prochrono is THE 100-buck deal. Very accurate and reliable for the price

This
Posted By: Fotis Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/19/19
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Huge thumbs up.

Yup. At least I have seen this and I have owned them all currently I have the lab radar in the Bluetooth prochrono
Posted By: stomatador Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/19/19
I've got Chrony Beta and it's worked for the last 8-10 years. Recently my son-in-law and I went in on a Labradar together and the convenience is great and I now use it a lot more.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/19/19
I have both a Pro Chrono Digital and a Magneto Speed Sporter. I like and use both depending on what I;m doing. If I just want velocities the Magneto is an easier setup. If I'm developing loads and want both velocities and accuracy I use the Pro Chrono.
Posted By: Higginez Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/19/19

Huge thumbs up.

You're hanging a weight on the bbl, so yes, anybody that knows about bbl harmonics should understand what this gets you.

In my experience, shots typically go nine tenths of a mil high and a tenth mil left.

Spot on velocity readings are worth it though.

Huge thumbs up.

Yes, but if you are at a public range, not having to wait until everyone is ready to go cold to set up your chrono is a huge advantage. At least IMHO.
Magnetospeed Sporter was my choice. Easy to set up, accurate and consistent. I use it for load workup so I don’t care if it affects accuracy.

P
Posted By: Llama_Bob Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/19/19
I'm a big fan of the Magnetospeeds, but they are expensive. However if used correctly they just work. I can't say the same for the Labradar or any optical chrono. They seem to work roughly when they want to.
Posted By: joshf303 Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/19/19

Huge thumbs up.

You're hanging a weight on the bbl, so yes, anybody that knows about bbl harmonics should understand what this gets you.

In my experience, shots typically go nine tenths of a mil high and a tenth mil left.

100% spot on. I didn’t realize how big of a favor I did myself trashing my old hoop style chrono till I started using the MS V3.
Posted By: kingston Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/19/19
Imagine how you’re gonna feel when you get a Labradar.
Posted By: Llama_Bob Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/20/19
If he's anything like the people I know who own them, he'll feel like he's got a $500 chrono that doesn't trigger very well but gives semi-useful drag information.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/20/19
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
If he's anything like the people I know who own them, he'll feel like he's got a $500 chrono that doesn't trigger very well but gives semi-useful drag information.

grinning here.................
Posted By: shinbone Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/20/19
If the OP’s budget is a $100, then the Labradar is off the table. I had a little bit of a learning curve with mine, but now it is very reliable, is accurate, and is super easy to use.

I used a Shoot’n Chrony for years, and it was a PITA to set up, and it had its own triggering problems. I’ve never used a Magneto Speed, but I like the Labradar’s ability to measure speed while shooting groups or checking POI.

If the budget was $600, then I would say Labradar hand’s down.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jimmy3 Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/20/19
MD: Any secrets to running the Prochrono?
Posted By: joshf303 Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/20/19
Originally Posted by kingston

I’ve been around enough LabRadars to know I don’t need one. The MS does everything I need it to and I build my own DOPE and info. Loading in 2-300 round lots, I’m not worried about a few zeroing shots. I have zero interest in shooting 100 yard groups as well....
Posted By: kingston Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/20/19

It’s amazing how many people can’t figure out how to use this simple device...
Posted By: kingston Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/20/19
I record just about every shot not taken in a match. I practice at 400 - 850 yrds and as long as I’m not shooting under time, I record velocities and environmentals.
Posted By: Higginez Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/20/19
I think the Labradar is a great option, but it certainly doesn't fit my needs.

The thought of carrying an expensive, sensitive dopler radar and an external battery pack around just doesn't appeal.
Posted By: Llama_Bob Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/21/19

It’s amazing how many people can’t figure out how to use this simple device...

Oh I and everyone I know is well aware of how to use it. It just isn't particularly well designed or capable as a chronograph compared to the Magnetospeed. At a minimum they should replace the candy ass sighting system. But it does give you drag info and works for handgun. It's just a question of what you care about more.
Posted By: kingston Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/21/19
I find the sighting system completely adequate. Their user manual, instructional videos, user interface (right down to button icons), data logging strategy, and menu architecture do little to ease usability.

...And I’m generally a fan of the device.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/25/19
Had the new magnetospeed at the range today,

very easy to use, it gave a reading every single shot, no errors,

handy has heck to slip on/off at a public range,

the issue with the velcro band slipping is real, you need to keep an eye on it, you'll likely be adjusting the bayonet every 5th shot.

easy peasy, but I do see the advantage of having a labrader type set up, for recording all data at all times with out impacts being affected.

Was going to buy the phone adapter/connector, but have decided not really necessary.

Thanks for the help guys.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/26/19

Huge thumbs up.

Mine causes bullet impact to go 4 inches high and 1 inch left generally. Like it also.
Posted By: NMScout308 Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 08/31/19
Pro Chrono. For the price can't go wrong. DLX with Bluetooth.
Posted By: fredIII Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 09/02/19
Originally Posted by joshf303

I’ve been around enough LabRadars to know I don’t need one. The MS does everything I need it to and I build my own DOPE and info. Loading in 2-300 round lots, I’m not worried about a few zeroing shots. I have zero interest in shooting 100 yard groups as well....

If you are just building dope y use a chronograph at all?
[Linked Image]
Shooter app is 10$ just take my Kestrel along and plug in environmentals perfectly best dope available. New G7BC make it even easier. SD ES are typically a nonissue with good barrels and they show up quickly.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 09/02/19
I use a Lab Radar exclusively now, using a Pro Chrono beforehand. I got a steal on the Lab is the only reason I picked it up. The Pro Chrono is a marvelous little instrument. I’ll sell mine now that I have a lab if anybody needs one. It has new screens.

Lol......yeah, figuring out how to get my Labradar to trigger was the biggest challenge. But I did. As a testament, I have not used my Oehler M35 in almost a year.

Plus, I'm chronographing while shooting from prone a lot more in recent times--something I would not try with my M35.........
Posted By: old_willys Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 09/06/19

Huge thumbs up.

YES it can affect accuracy

I only use my Magneto Speed for speed testing PLUS I have had the old original Magneto speed and it is great. Friend that also has a early unit like mine also picked up the new sporter version. He says the sporter is junk to stick with the old version......
Posted By: Axtell Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 09/09/19
The Labradar is the best tool for recording velocities, so easy to use that every shot from the bench is recorded, this helps in controlling your handloads.
It is accurate, 0.1% error, or 3 ft/s at a mv of 3000 ft/s
You get down range velocities as well, I set mine at increments to 100 yards, excellent for back engineering BC's under your conditions.
The magneto speed has its place and is ideal for checking lots of loaded ammunition for velocity such as in a military or law enforcement applications. For the handloader its the Labradar first and only.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by Axtell
The Labradar is the best tool for recording velocities, so easy to use that every shot from the bench is recorded, this helps in controlling your handloads.
It is accurate, 0.1% error, or 3 ft/s at a mv of 3000 ft/s
You get down range velocities as well, I set mine at increments to 100 yards, excellent for back engineering BC's under your conditions.
The magneto speed has its place and is ideal for checking lots of loaded ammunition for velocity such as in a military or law enforcement applications. For the handloader its the Labradar first and only.

Bold statement. Does it have a proof channel?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: lets buy a chronograph. - 09/10/19
Also, 100 yards is hardly enough for calculating downrange BC's. One of the reasons so many bullet-factory BC's have been revised in recent years (especially those of higher-BC bullets) is that most were calculated off 100-yard velocity loss--which isn't enough to predict longer-range results.
© 24hourcampfire