Home
Your working up a load, new barrel and new bullet, initial load development says powder charge will be 64.7 g of R17, Bullet is 168g TTSX.

Touching the lands is 3.269 base to ogive,

Your looking for 5 different seating depths,

Go.
I seat in .020 increments until it tightens up.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

So where's your first load, touching or back .020?
While this link pertains to Berger bullets it is an interesting read on how to go about finding best seating depth.

Seating Depth
Interesting article, Thanks.
Start touching and work back in 0.030" increments. Dial in from there once you find the range of choice.

Of course with Barnes bullets I often just start at 0.050" off, as it usually works, and tinker using my seating depth routine if 0.050" doesn't impress.
I start at .010 off the lands and work back .010 at a time. I use wilson inline seating dies made from my chamber reamer so it makes it easy to do seating depth test at the bench.
Depending on magazine length, I start back .010 at a time, shooting the deeper seated bullets first. Easier to push bullets down than to pull out.
Originally Posted by sherm_61
I start at .010 off the lands and work back .010 at a time. I use wilson inline seating dies made from my chamber reamer so it makes it easy to do seating depth test at the bench.

Wilson dies and an small arbor press work wonders at the range for depth tuning. Only way to go.
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Back .010, or max mag box length.
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Back .010, or max mag box length.

+1
I really get a laff outta the Creedmoor guys on the FB page....."Here's my group at .003" off the lands....look how it really tightened up at .005". I'm gonna try .004" next week. What do you guys think"

Jump .030" or so. The results should be pretty clear.
I always start touching the lands then work back .010" at a time and finalize by trying .005" either side of that sweet spot..

X-VERMINATOR
I prefer to start a little off the lands, .005-.010" or so, whatever makes sense at the time. "Touching" the lands, when you consider the variation between cartridges, means some might be jammed a thou or two and some will be off a thou or two depending on the bullet and other variations. I prefer to start at a point where all of them are a little ways off. Exception would be if I wanted to intentionally jam them, but don't normally use a load like that.
.010 off the lands or mag length than .030 increments
Thanks Prwlr
To fine tune, I go back in .010 bumps. But with Barnes bullets you don’t want to be close to the lands. I’d start with .040 out, .070 out and .100 out. See which of those it likes best and then fine tune from there.
Originally Posted by Yondering
I prefer to start a little off the lands, .005-.010" or so, whatever makes sense at the time. "Touching" the lands, when you consider the variation between cartridges, means some might be jammed a thou or two and some will be off a thou or two depending on the bullet and other variations. I prefer to start at a point where all of them are a little ways off. Exception would be if I wanted to intentionally jam them, but don't normally use a load like that.

A thou or two either direction from touching aint gonna make a lick of difference.......

X-VERMINATOR
© 24hourcampfire