Home
Posted By: mad_okie Is Big Game powder extinct? - 09/21/19
I bought 1# of Big Game powder about 2 years ago at the LGS and quickly worked up loads for 2 rifles that I think will be hard for me to duplicate with another powder. I can’t seem to find anymore without buying online and Shipping fees make it pretty expensive! What happened to it?
I found some local but RL 26 is non existent.
You might try CFE223.I loaded some in my 338-06 and it was only 5fps slower than Big Game with the same load.Groups were about the same too
Order it, if you buy 3 or 4 lbs it will probably wind up costing less per pound than buying locally.
Midway just had an August promotion if you spent $99 on select powders, you got free hazmat and shipping. Ramshot, Norma, and Accurate powders were included. I picked up several Ramshot powders I was running low on including Big Game.
Originally Posted by M1Garand
Midway just had an August promotion if you spent $99 on select powders, you got free hazmat and shipping. Ramshot, Norma, and Accurate powders were included. I picked up several Ramshot powders I was running low on including Big Game.

That would've been helpful to the OP. In August.
Grafs has it for about $170 for an 8lb jug. Free shipping today on orders over $99 but you still have to pay hazmat fee ($12.50 - one of the cheapest I've seen).
I will check into Grafs, thanks. I also thought about trying cfe223 but that was the only other powder nobody within 100 miles of home has in stock. 8# would last a lifetime no more than I shoot these days.
Powder Valley appears to have it in stock and prices are reasonable at $21.95 for 1 lb. and $158.95 for 8 lbs. I've bought powder and bullets from them several times and their shipping/hazmat fees are comparable to most.

I have just recently started using Big Game in my 7-08 and one criteria for using it was availability locally. My local Sportsman Warehouse has Big Game in stock, of course that's not helping you tho!! LOL Just "bite the bullet" and order yourself an 8lb jug and be fueled for a while!!
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by M1Garand

That would've been helpful to the OP. In August.

Yeah no schit, if he needed it back then. They have another, spend $150 and get free hazmat and covers all powders and primers.

Another forum I know has a sub forum to post deals, maybe not a bad idea to get one on here so members can post promotions and deals so others see it. I know I got some good deals that way.
Originally Posted by baldhunter
You might try CFE223.I loaded some in my 338-06 and it was only 5fps slower than Big Game with the same load.Groups were about the same too

I have shot both powders in my 338-06AI, and CFE223 (with magnum primers) has performed as well as BG. I use CFE223 now because I've got 8 lbs of it and only < 3 lbs of BG. Plus, it's theoretically supposed to cut down on copper fouling--we'll see.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Is Big Game powder extinct? - 09/22/19
Have not seen Big Game locally in a couple years. Have better luck finding H4350.
Not extinct. Folks are hoarding it because it works so well!
Load data for the 338-06 with BigGame?

Thanks
Posted By: Fotis Re: Is Big Game powder extinct? - 09/27/19
Abundant in Cheyenne Sportsman warehouse
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Thanks

59.0grs Big Game-200gr Accubond or Silver Ballistic Tip-Win. Brass-Win Large Rifle Magnum Primer-2812fps
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Just ordered some from Brownells.Free shipping and one cent hazmat fee on $150 orders today only.
https://www.brownells.com
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Thanks

59.0grs Big Game-200gr Accubond or Silver Ballistic Tip-Win. Brass-Win Large Rifle Magnum Primer-2812fps
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Mine takes a lot more than that! 62 gr behind a 210 TTSX goes not quite 2800 fps.
59 gr looks pretty accurate. If my gun grouped like that think I’d stick with it.

How much recoil, 210 at 2,800 fps.

DF
Originally Posted by mad_okie
I bought 1# of Big Game powder about 2 years ago at the LGS and quickly worked up loads for 2 rifles that I think will be hard for me to duplicate with another powder. I can’t seem to find anymore without buying online and Shipping fees make it pretty expensive! What happened to it?

Buy a couple 8 lb jugs when Powder Valley has it in stock.
© 24hourcampfire