Home
Curious what products the fire uses to lube brass and if you remove it, what method do you use?
Mostly Redding Imperial or Hornady unique when out of Imperial. 10 min tumble in corn cob either straight or with Iosso case polish.
Imperial wax, wipe it off with a rag.
Hornady one shot, tumble in Lyman corn cob media w/ a 1/3 of a dryer sheet.

David
What mathman said.
Dillon spray lube. Then put in the tumbler
I use Imperial and sometime tumble to remove other times use a rag with rubbing alcohol.
Motor Mica inside the neck and Hornaday One Shot are the mainstays. Imperial if heavy forming is involved. I just wipe them off with acetone on a rag or blue shop towel. I leave the mica in the neck. The only time I am concerned about getting all the One Shot off is during load work up as it can give flase pressure indications.
Originally Posted by mathman

This.
Hornady one shot on some, Imperial wax on others, wipe off with rag
Imperial wax, wipe off with paper towel
Imperial or Hornady Unique. Rag or paper towel.
I squeeze one tube of Lee case lube into an empty 8 fl oz Hornady One Shot pump spray bottle I have (I didn't like it. It was too sticky to me so I poured it out before finishing it). Then pour in isopropyl alcohol to mostly full and mix it by shaking. With the cases standing in a loading tray, I spray them from above across the mouth and shoulder from different angles. That lubes the outside case and shoulders and inside the case necks. It dries quickly to a fine white residue due to the alcohol. By the time I've sized the cases, it seems like the case lube cleans itself off for the most part just by handling it. Works better than the Hornady One Shot did. Just have to shake it before using is all. This does get some over spray on the loading tray, but it is easily wiped with a paper towel or whipping it with a rag.
For small quantities of rifle brass, sometimes I'll use Hornady Unique, and then wipe it off the loaded cartridge with a rag and laquer thinner.

For larger quantities, like 223 or 9mm (yes I lube 9mm, with carbide dies, it just sizes easier) I like to use some sort of aerosol spray lube that is lanolin based. Don't really care what brand and have used several that work well. I spray it in a large ziploc bag, shake the brass around in there for half a minute or so, and load. It's easy to lube several hundred pieces or more at a time this way. I don't use very much, and usually don't bother removing it from pistol brass.

If I do remove case lube from larger quantities of rifle brass, I either tumble loaded rounds in corn cob, or rinse the sized brass in laquer thinner, depending whether I'm pre-processing the brass or just loading it. I keep a jug of solvent for that and just re-use it; that's the fastest and easiest way I know of to remove lube.
I use one shot. If working with small quantities wipe it off with a rag with a little rubbing alcohol. If working with a bunch I run it in my wet tumbler with stainless pins.
I use imperial and usually wipe them with some carb spray on a shop towel.

For large batches i use the walnut/tumbler routine.
I do small lots of 257 Roberts. Lee case lube, put on by hand, it dries quick, and can be used dry, wipes off with paper towel.
Liquid lanolin in alcohol, sprayed on for trays of brass. Tumble clean.
Lee lube for a couple cases at a time. paper towel clean.
Imperial case wax for wildcat case forming, paper towel clean.
Imperial dry neck lube for necksize only. leave them dusty.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I use Imperial and sometime tumble to remove other times use a rag with rubbing alcohol.

This^^^^^

This is what I do 95% of the time, but when doing mass quantities of 223's I use a product called Brass Butter that is a spray on but you must tumble afterward.
I use STOS as a case lube, doesn't take much at all. Had the same container for several years.

Wipe off with a rag.
Lee case lube, applied with a lube pad.

After sizing I usually drop the case in the tumbler.

If not tumbling, break or carb cleaner.
RCBS case lube ( I think I've had the same bottle since 1982) and apply with a lube pad. Wipe it off with a rag after sizing.
Hornady One-shot then wipe off with a rag ๐Ÿ‘.....Hb
Yep, Hornady One Shot for full trays of 50, Imperial wax on smaller (20โ€™ish or less) jobs. Clean both in my tumbler for a couple of hours.
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by gunswizard

This^^^^^

I tumble before sizing because I want the decapper pin to positively push any remaining media out of the flash hole, Hornady one shot, or Imperial.....resize......and wipe the brass down with paper towels or cotton rags soaked with isopropyl alcohol, the highest concentration available at the pharmacy.
Originally Posted by Higbean
Curious what products the fire uses to lube brass and if you remove it, what method do you use?

I use RCBS case lube 2 then wash it off with water and dry the resized cases for a few hours in the oven set at ~210 degrees.
One Shot for a loading block full, Imperial is doing just a handful of cases, then clean it off with denatured alcohol.
Hornady one shot here. Toss in sonic cleaner to get it off.
Well, this is a surprise. I did not realize lube needed to be wiped off. I use Lee lube and have never cleaned the cases afterward.
Imperial, size, tumble

Progressive loading of pistol and 223 get hornady one shot, and are not wiped clean.
Originally Posted by gte901m
Imperial, size, tumble

This^^
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Hornady One-shot then wipe off with a rag ๐Ÿ‘.....Hb

This. I put a bunch of casings in a zip loc, spray in some One Shot, shake, rattle and roll, open the bag a let sit for a bit, size and wipe off with a paper towel. You really don't even have to wipe it off. So easy a cave man can do it! Anybody that has stuck cases using One Shot, is doing it wrong.
Originally Posted by 16bore
One Shot for a loading block full, Imperial is doing just a handful of cases, then clean it off with denatured alcohol.

Yup
I've been using this method for about 6 years and it works great and only need a small amount for good size batch. I then either wipe off or run them through wet stainless in hot water for 1/2 hour or so.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0117UuXiSS4

Works for me. Hasbeen
Imperial wax wipe it off with a rag.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

This.

X3

I use Lyman case lube put it on by hand - after sizing it goes in the tumbler.
Hornady One Shot and tumble...
Hornady one shot then wd-40
I make my own use this version with lanolin and 99% rubbing alcohol. This stuff works great

https://ultimatereloader.com/2017/05/09/make-your-own-case-lube/
Dad always used bear grease.

This is what I started sizing with as a kid, about 1970.

I don't have access to bear grease, so I use Imperial wax and wipe it off with a rag.

Virgil B.
Hornady one shot and dont remove it.
Amzoil Spray Lube into a Camping Style Frying Pan, shake the pan like ya would jiffy pop to roll it around...

quick 5 minutes in the tumbler...walnut media...$10 from the farm supply store for 50lbs of it..

Amzoil Spray Lube can of airisol costa $7.00 and lasts me about 6 or 7 years...

Not rolling my hands and fingers in a bunch of oily stuff...so not overly messy...
RCBS water soluble case lube sprayed on to a pad, roll case and size, that's it.
Originally Posted by BWalker

I've never did more than a basic clean-up of lube off of cases [Lee lube] i guess that could build up in the chamber and not be a good thing ?
Using Imperial and Hornady spray now .
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by BWalker

I've never did more than a basic clean-up of lube off of cases [Lee lube] i guess that could build up in the chamber and not be a good thing ?
Using Imperial and Hornady spray now .

I dont know about all that. I have shot hundreds of rounds through my .223 and 204 prairie dog guns without cleaning and without issue.
When you dont have a progressive press and your reloading 500 rounds of ammo in a sitting anything you can do to save time is a god send IMO.
Imperial Wax, tumbled in Lyman corn cob media.
Crisco
SS pins and wet tumbler.
I've been using One Shot for years and never removed it, but I grew tired of the build up and gummy feeling of brass and the fact I could feel it when chambering rounds after a few loadings.

I started removing it with the tumbler as many of you have mentioned and it works great, but is time consuming and I'd hoped maybe some of you had figured out an easy/quick/cheap way to remove it.

The lanolin/iso alcohol is great too, but takes a longer spin in the vibe tumbler than the One Shot.

I've seen Brake Clean, Carb Cleaner and WD-40 mentioned above and I'm wondering if you guys have seen any adverse effects on your brass with the use of them?
Hell I dunno, I donโ€™t really pay attention... my bad...

I do know federal primer pockets puke before anything else... ime
Originally Posted by ringworm
Crisco
SS pins and wet tumbler.

Are you being serious about Crisco ?
Imperial wax. Drop the sized cases into a small parts can w/basket of lacquer thinner and when I'm finished sizing take 'em out and wipe them off with a rag.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by ringworm
Crisco
SS pins and wet tumbler.

Are you being serious about Crisco ?

I've seen it used by some old timers around here...
and also by some relatives back east in Virginia...

Seen folks also use a dab of Mobil One on a cleaning patch and use it on an old frying pan like I use...

Kinda why I use the Amazoil spray lube.. the synthetic oil works better than WD 40 did...
The only case lube I have ever used for full length sizing has been Neats Foot oil. It's an oil made for leather. An old bloke in the shop put me on to it when I bought my reloading gear. I bought a one litre bottle in 1994 and have used less than 20 percent in that time as I neck size 90% of the time in my bolt actions but full length size in my No. 1s.

It seems to work fine.
© 24hourcampfire