Home
Posted By: Higginez Educate me on Turret presses - 12/02/19
So what's the deal?

Leave your dies set up and less spinning them in and out?

Why not a Dillon 550?

Thanks.
I've got a Lyman turret press. I run two presses, an RCBS that is for resizing and priming, and the Lyman. I keep my bullet seating dies in the Lyman, with a bullet pulling die in there also.
I use Redding T7 with 4 or five different turrets. I load for my siblings and they each have different calibers. I have dies, sizing, neck, bump, seating set up for each caliber on a die. If I want to reload for a specific gun, I just swap a turret. Everything is set up for that gun.
I do deprime on a separate Lee press, just to keep the gunk off the Redding.
Higbean- exactly as you say.

I have a Lee (....sorry....I guess) and just bought a turret for each cartridge. A Lee turret costs all of $12. I leave a bullet puller in one turret. and just change it's collet depending on caliber.

For my 6mm I have two different seating dies in the turret, a Lee for 85 hpbt and a RCBS for 100 spt.

In another I have a neck sizer and a full length sizer because I was occasionally loading for a friends rifle. Having four hole turrets makes things SO convenient. Set and forget.

I reload 9mm and 40s&w likewise. KrakMT points to one thing the Lee is great at- de-priming and priming neatly.

I have really wanted a Redding T-7 for a while now. But........ I have two friends with Lyman turret presses, one has the T-Mag and the other the new 8-Station press. They both say they've had no problems with them and load ammo just as accurately as their Rockchuckers.

The Lyman 8-Station is a $100+ less than the Redding. Midway has the Lymans on sale right now. The savings could almost pay for three extra turrets and the cover a big chunk of the rifles I'm currently loading for.......

Decisions, decisions.........
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

I have really wanted a Redding T-7 for a while now. But........ I have two friends with Lyman turret presses, one has the T-Mag and the other the new 8-Station press. They both say they've had no problems with them and load ammo just as accurately as their Rockchuckers.

The Lyman 8-Station is a $100+ less than the Redding. Midway has the Lymans on sale right now. The savings could almost pay for three extra turrets and the cover a big chunk of the rifles I'm currently loading for.......

Decisions, decisions.........

10 years down the road, $100 will be like $10/year...
The Lyman turrets are lower priced than the T7 also.
I think the Lyman is pretty good.
The turret turns........laugh
Originally Posted by Higbean
So what's the deal?

Leave your dies set up and less spinning them in and out?

Why not a Dillon 550?

Thanks.

A few years ago I thought I'd give a turret press a try. Buddy of mine sold me his lightly used Lyman. I started out just doing handgun cartridges on it, now I'm loading my rifle cartridges, including the 375 H&H, on it with excellent results.

For most of my loading, I don't really want a progressive loader. It didn't take long though before I found that I was loading pistol & rifle cartridges quite a bit faster than I'd ever managed on my good old Rockchucker. I've still got the RCBS, but haven't loaded on it in over a year.

Somehow it's just a little faster, no problem. I use it like a single stage press, I think the speed improvement comes from the wide-open front, allowing fast access to the cartridge & ram. I dunno. Maybe.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Regards, Guy
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

10 years down the road, $100 will be like $10/year...

Well then, I'll just put $10 a year into a jar and in 10 years I'll buy the T-7...............
Posted By: Quak Re: Educate me on Turret presses - 12/16/19
I have a rcbs...love it. I’ll never go back.

The Redding is better imho
Posted By: memtb Re: Educate me on Turret presses - 12/16/19
My first turret press was a Lyman, that I bought around 1970 or ‘71. Bought my second Lyman about 1990. I’ve never found anything to complain about, they seem to produce good, accurate reloads! memtb
I use my turret indexer when making 9mm and 40 cal pistol rounds but I remove the index rod ( so the turret does not spin) when making rifle ammo. I am typically tinkering loads or making a small number of rounds for each rifle. I weigh each charge separately for these and don't use a powder dump of any kind for this.
Posted By: Tim_K Re: Educate me on Turret presses - 12/18/19
I say Dillon 550. I load all my precision ammo (6 Dasher, 260 Rem, .223, 224 Valkerie, etc) on my 550. I ditched the powder throw and replaced it with a funnel. Charges get weighed out on another piece of equipment. It's FAST. Every pull of the handle results in a finished round. My powder dispenser is fast, so by the time I check the last completed round for length and run the handle it has the next charge waiting for me. I'd estimate 10-12 seconds a round once I'm rolling.

To make a progressive really work, you need to trim (if necessary) before sizing. My process:

Clean brass
Anneal
Trim if necessary
Load
Clean finished rounds (I dump them back in the tumbler for 5 minutes to get the case lube off)

I'm getting velocity SD's of 3-4 with this process. Tolerance on length is typically plus minus 0.0015". Plenty good enough.
I have a Redding T-7 that I do all my rifle rounds on. I leave the dies set up and change heads. I can't see any difference, between rounds coming of the T-7, or the rock chucker. I have two rock chuckers set up one for pulling bullets and one for checking shoulder set-back. (Redding gauge). I load all my pistol stuff on a Dillon 650, it's a huge time saver.
© 24hourcampfire