Home
Posted By: woodson Forster Co-Ax - 01/28/20
It took a lot of searching but found some in stock and ordered one. Selling my Redding model 25 turret press to a hunt club buddy. Those that have a Co-Ax, how do you like it?
Posted By: woodson Re: Forster Co-Ax - 01/28/20
If anyone else was struggling to find any not on back order? Scheels had 10 in stock when I ordered mine this morning.
Posted By: rabst Re: Forster Co-Ax - 01/28/20
I've enjoyed mine since 1992. Picked up a second one even (buddy of mine was liquidating during divorce).

To be fair, however, I've never loaded with anything else.

Universal shell holders (I have LS for big bore set up on one, S on the other). I can reverse the LS jaws if I ever need small.

"Floating dies" that pop in and out in seconds, using cross bolt die lock rings that are relatively inexpensive ($47 for a dozen at Sinclair), and every die of mine has its lock ring secured onto it precisely where I need it to be.

Priming function works really well also (I use a Sinclair hand-held tool for standard cartridges, but for my big bores, I just use the CO-AX: pretty easy to feel the appropriate seating depth).

No complaints whatsoever. Of course, the purchase price for both of mine, combined, was less than what they are now going for.
Posted By: lotech Re: Forster Co-Ax - 01/29/20
I've used one for several decades. Excellent press, but I always have a strong single stage press mounted next to it. If you use file-type trim dies, collet bullet pullers, primer pocket swage dies, or do much in the way of case forming, the Co-Ax is not the best press. Opinions vary, of course, but if you don't need a press for any of those chores, the Co-Ax is perfect. Priming apparatus, once set, works very well, but I usually prime with a hand priming tool.
Posted By: saskfox Re: Forster Co-Ax - 01/29/20
Same as lotech I hand prime as well.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Forster Co-Ax - 01/29/20
Love mine. I don’t prime on it either, I use an auto prime for that. I have a rockchucker right next to it for collet dies and bullet pulling, but most tasks are done on the Co-ax.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Forster Co-Ax - 01/29/20
I bought one a year ago after hearing about them for a long time. Used a Rockchucker for 30 years before that. Absolutely love the Co-Ax and highly recommend it. Just finished loading on it about an hour ago in fact. I have used a Sinclair hand priming tool forever and haven't primed with the Co-Ax.
Posted By: woodson Re: Forster Co-Ax - 01/29/20
Reduced run out is the main appeal
Posted By: 1234 Re: Forster Co-Ax - 01/29/20
have used one for decades love it!

Ed
Posted By: kingston Re: Forster Co-Ax - 01/29/20
I’m a fan.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Forster Co-Ax - 01/29/20
Originally Posted by woodson

Yep. One of these fancy presses is in the list.
Posted By: Crawler Re: Forster Co-Ax - 01/29/20
I really like mine. another press on the bench gets the really heavy case forming and full length resize jobs, but my forester gets the most use.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Forster Co-Ax - 01/29/20
I used my Forster for 10 years, great press, but I like my RCBS Summit and Mec Marksman better.

Less run out with both of them over the Forster.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Forster Co-Ax - 01/29/20
A great press that has worked very well for me. I do use it for priming although slow, it does a perfect job of seating the primer.

Do yourself a favor and get a dozen lock rings.....then go to In Line Fabrication and get a stand and headlights.....get it all up to eye level.
Posted By: K22 Re: Forster Co-Ax - 01/29/20
I have used mine since the late 70's. Mine is the original Bonanza Co Ax press. I use 2 different types of bullet pullers on mine. One is made by Forester and the other which I really like is called Forster "Superfast" Bullet Puller-(possum type).
I also use the Lee Collet neck die in mine.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Forster Co-Ax - 01/30/20
Originally Posted by VernAK
Do yourself a favor and get a dozen lock rings.....then go to In Line Fabrication and get a stand and headlights.....get it all up to eye level.

You mean like this?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: woodson Re: Forster Co-Ax - 02/03/20
Love it. Looks very functional.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Forster Co-Ax - 02/03/20
I will second the lock rings and In Line Fabrication stand. Exactly how mine is set up.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Forster Co-Ax - 02/03/20

Originally Posted by dye7barrel

Yep. One of these fancy presses is in the list.

Presses induce runout? First I've heard of that.

I can get low runout with dies alone . . . . (not that I've never lusted for a Co-Ax press)
Posted By: DLSguide Re: Forster Co-Ax - 02/03/20
The only rifle press there is in my book. Love it.
Posted By: GreggH Re: Forster Co-Ax - 02/03/20
Love mine
GreggH
Posted By: SS336 Re: Forster Co-Ax - 02/04/20
I've had my Co-Ax since the mid 70's. It's a Bonanza, before Forster bought them. I updated the priming station to the A2 model. I think it's a great single stage press, maybe the best. Lots of ammunition loaded never had one thing break of need replacing. Only draw back I can see is they're a little expensive, then again I've had it for 45 years..so maybe not.
Posted By: Dan700mn Re: Forster Co-Ax - 02/04/20
Really like mine. That stand looks like a great idea.
Posted By: woodson Re: Forster Co-Ax - 02/05/20
Originally Posted by jdunham
I will second the lock rings and In Line Fabrication stand. Exactly how mine is set up.

Lock rings? I’ll be using Forster BR dies.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Forster Co-Ax - 02/05/20
Originally Posted by SU35
I used my Forster for 10 years, great press, but I like my RCBS Summit and Mec Marksman better.

Less run out with both of them over the Forster.

I know nothing about your preferred presses, or your methods or dies and shellholders. And I'm NOT questioning your statement, you know what you know, but I wonder if one of your shell holder plates is binding or even bent (even though they are hardened). I have two Co-ax's, one dedicated just for 6.5 match competition...the only bad runout I found after many years could be traced to other causes, one a crookedly drilled and tapped die lockring and a tiny lead pellet trapped under one shell plate, probably from loading snake shot for a pistol.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Forster Co-Ax - 02/05/20
I have both a rock chucker, and I got a Forster Co-Ax last year.

Yes the Co-Ax makes more concentric loads....

BUT. It also doesn’t let you use a bullet puller, and really doesn’t support a universal depriming die.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Forster Co-Ax - 02/05/20
Love mine!!
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Forster Co-Ax - 02/05/20
What do you mean by not supporting a universal depriming die? My Sinclair works just fine in the Forster.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Forster Co-Ax - 02/05/20

Then you are all set. If you have dies other than Forster you will want them for those.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Forster Co-Ax - 02/05/20
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
What do you mean by not supporting a universal depriming die? My Sinclair works just fine in the Forster.

My Lee universal depriming die works fine in my Forster as well.

It's true that the Forster Co-ax doesn't do some things as well as an O-frame, but who only has one press anyway? smile
Posted By: Yondering Re: Forster Co-Ax - 02/05/20

Then you are all set. If you have dies other than Forster you will want them for those.

People say that, but I use lock rings from pretty much every brand of die in my Forster; it doesn't matter much. I do have the little ball detent backed off to not engage though; it doesn't serve any useful purpose other than to make people think they need Forster lock rings.

Even Lee rings fit, although I normally switch them out for something else.

Only exceptions are some very old lock rings I have that are too thick for the Co-Ax. Everything newer fits and works well.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Forster Co-Ax - 02/05/20

If you really want to play the concentricity game...

I have a 21st century hydro arbor press, with custom made micro seater dies that were cut with the same reamer as the rifle was chambered with.
Posted By: woodson Re: Forster Co-Ax - 02/06/20
I’m willing to go as far as buying a Forster co-ax and a set of their bench rest dies. Got their datum dial set and a concentricity gauge on order.
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Forster Co-Ax - 02/07/20
Love mine, but still use my old LYMAN TMag turret for pulling bullets.
Posted By: Islanderflyer Re: Forster Co-Ax - 02/07/20
The only thing I don't like about my coax is the limited hand access . What I mean is its a little harder and slower to insert your brass into the press and remove it. I find the universal shell holder a little slower as well.
Also, I made a shorter handle and use it most of the time.
© 24hourcampfire