Home
Posted By: Blacktailer Got my money's worth - 06/12/20
My old RCBS vibratory case cleaner gave out on me today. The motor went belly up. Last time I was able to fix it but it is too far gone. Date code 1987. Can't remember what I paid for it but back then it probably only cost $40 or so making my cost per year about $1.25. Can't say how many cases have been through it. Got a drum type and SS pins on the way from Midway. If it goes as long, it will out last me.
Posted By: elkchsr Re: Got my money's worth - 06/12/20
I hope the pins work out well for you. I’m convinced that stainless pins cost me a barrel. I was about 10 shots in to the second relay of the match and things went from pretty good to not being able to hit the paper. I think that I missed a pin or two that were stuck in a case and the gouge happened when I fired that round. It was a 38-55 green mountain barrel and the load was 42 grains of black powder under a 250 grain cast bullet. The damage was about 4” ahead of the chamber and was deep enough to pull fibers from a cleaning patch. The stainless media really got the cases clean, but I’m not going to chance it again.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I've been running dry media with the pins and haven't had any problems with pins in the case. If a batch gets really nasty or I'm cleaning some decent range brass, I'll then do a wet tumble and of course the drying but I then put em in a tumbling bag and bounce the cases around in the bag. Seems to do a great job of bouncing anything in the case out. BUT if ya tumble em to long you'll get a burr at the case mouth. Doesn't matter to me as I use a light taper crimp that does a good job of removing the burr and giving consistent neck tension. YMMV
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Got my money's worth - 06/12/20
Originally Posted by elkchsr
I hope the pins work out well for you. I’m convinced that stainless pins cost me a barrel. I was about 10 shots in to the second relay of the match and things went from pretty good to not being able to hit the paper. I think that I missed a pin or two that were stuck in a case and the gouge happened when I fired that round. It was a 38-55 green mountain barrel and the load was 42 grains of black powder under a 250 grain cast bullet. The damage was about 4” ahead of the chamber and was deep enough to pull fibers from a cleaning patch. The stainless media really got the cases clean, but I’m not going to chance it again.

That aint good. Definitely something to watch out for.
© 24hourcampfire