Home
Posted By: Redleg172 IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 06/17/20
I am looking for some load data for IMR 4320 behind a 20g Vmax out of a 17 Remington. I heard it was discontinued and it isn't showing up on Hodgdon's website.

I have enough powder for about 200 rounds and want to use it up if it's discontinued so I'm not too worried about load development. I don't need a super speed load either. I'm seeing 25g bullets listed with 23.7-24.0 grains so I figure I should be safe at 24.0 but want to hear your experiences.
Posted By: mart Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 06/17/20
My go to load in the 700 I had for many years was 24.5 grains under a Hornady 25 grain HP. Should be fine with a 20 grain. I haven't shot my new 17 yet but I'll use up the few pounds of 4320 I have in it and my 35 Whelen. Great powder in both rifles. I'm sure sorry to see it discontinued.
Posted By: Redleg172 Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 06/18/20
Thanks Mart - I actually like the 4320 in my 338-06 too but since its being discontinued I figure I should go ahead and use it up. I'll probably go with CFE223 in the 17 after this is gone. I would like one powder for both 17 Remington and ,223.
Posted By: metricman Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 06/19/20
have used 23.5 to 24 gr with 25 grain bullets with reasonable success.
was not aware that it's no longer in production.
It still shows up on IMR's website:

https://imrpowder.com/imr-4320/

Hodgdon maintains separate sites for IMR, Winchester, Hodgdon and Goex powders, I suppose for rational business reasons. (or perhaps not)
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 06/19/20
I see 4320 on the shelves all the time. I hope they don't drop it because it's one of my favorite powders. Use it for the 222 and a load in the 223. Also my go to powder in the 22-250.
Posted By: Redleg172 Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 06/19/20
hat's interesting - the IMR site isn't showing 4320 for the 17 Remington but it is showing other cartridges. I can't imagine they wouldn't list load data for it, it was always a preferred powder for the 17.

I also see it listed in their product line, I may have gotten bad gouge about it being discontinued.
Posted By: mistem Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 06/19/20
If someone needs IMR 4320.... I have some I’d sell... would have to be mask to mask in Montana 😷
Posted By: RCflash Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 06/20/20
Have not heard 4320 is discontinued..... I dont do the 17 Remington. Do use the 4320 for 300 Savage, 7 x 57 and 223.

Am not a guy who needs to try every new powder or has to have many different kinds on my shelf.

Started using it for my 300 Sav back in the day, and just tried it with the other 2 cartridges. Because i had some.

They all shoot well enough for me. And the small kernels feed well thru the powder measure.

Do the gunpowder companies read our forums?
Posted By: dale06 Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 06/20/20
I’ve used 4320 exclusively in my several 17 Rems for 20 plus years. My supply is getting low. I likely will switch over to Benchmark. I’m trying to consolidate to few powderseven if I don’t have the perfect powder in each cartridge.
I found Varget to perform the best for me accuracy-wise with the 25 gr HP's and V-max. Better velocity and accuracy in my rifle than 4320. I will miss the HP. They are more accurate than the V-max for me. Been thinking to work up a CFE load when all the Varget ammo has been shot up.
Posted By: keith Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 06/28/20
VArget is rough on 17 Throats, washes out 6-8" of barrel.

24g of 4320 with a 25g Berger, Rem 7 1/2 was my accuracy load for a long, long time, hunting partners also. Then we switched to Win 760 with a zero freebore reamer.

Later on, we switched to 22.0g of H322 for a velocity of 3850, shot strings got longer without copper fouling out the barrel, and the carbon amount was sure less.

Here are pics with a little over 1000 rounds of varget with 20g fired, Lilja barrel
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com][/URL]

Originally Posted by keith
VArget is rough on 17 Throats, washes out 6-8" of barrel.

24g of 4320 with a 25g Berger, Rem 7 1/2 was my accuracy load for a long, long time, hunting partners also. Then we switched to Win 760 with a zero freebore reamer.

Later on, we switched to 22.0g of H322 for a velocity of 3850, shot strings got longer without copper fouling out the barrel, and the carbon amount was sure less.

Here are pics with a little over 1000 rounds of varget with 20g fired, Lilja barrel
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com][/URL]

I call BS.

I have seen nor heard nothing of Varget being worse than any other powder at eroding throats. I imagine the way one shoots and how long the shot strings are would be far more relevant than which powder one chooses. I use Moly'd bullets, a moderate load (according to Hodgdon) and get 3997 velocity average out of a 24" Remington barrel. The gun is over 30 years old, and has been shot hundreds of times. There is zero roughness by feel in the throat.
Redleg: I want to try and talk you into using the amazing Berger 25 grain bullets in your 17 Remington!
All three of my 17 Remington chambered Varmint Rifles prefer and use this wonderful bullet.
Best of luck to you with your 17 Remington.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: unahunt Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 06/29/20
I have two boxs of 200 unopened and a partial box if anyone needs some. thanks
Posted By: TheKid Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 06/30/20
Aside from the gentleman above offering some of his, where do you find 25gr Bergers Varmintguy? I have not seen any in stock anywhere in three or four years.
Posted By: Redleg172 Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 07/02/20
Originally Posted by TheKid
Aside from the gentleman above offering some of his, where do you find 25gr Bergers Varmintguy? I have not seen any in stock anywhere in three or four years.

I see them listed at Midway, Graf, and Natchez and none say they are out of stock.
Posted By: TheKid Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 07/02/20
Well hot damn. I had pretty much given up looking after they’d been out of stock everywhere for so long
Posted By: K22 Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 07/30/20
Well hot damn. I had pretty much given up looking after they’d been out of stock everywhere for so long

Which Berger 25gr. were you referring to? As you are aware I'm sure, they made 2 at one time. One for Varmints and one that Pelt Hunters loved.
Posted By: TheKid Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 07/30/20
I was interested in the coyote bullet. As I understand it that one was the Match bullet and is extinct?
Posted By: mart Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 07/30/20
I may have been mistaken about 4320 being discontinued. I bought the last three a local shop had because I thought I had read or heard somewhere that is was being discontinued. Was back in last week and they had several one pound cans of it. I bought one more pound so I have 4 or 5 pounds now.

Probably could use other powders but in Marty's myopic, 17 Remington world, there is 4320, Hornady 25 grain HP's and Remington 71/2 primers. No other components need apply.
I was interested in the coyote bullet. As I understand it that one was the Match bullet and is extinct?

Yes, and it is quite unfortunate. When I seen that Berger was going to discontinue the Match bullet I stocked up. Glad I did.
There are still some good choices out there.
Originally Posted by mart
I may have been mistaken about 4320 being discontinued. I bought the last three a local shop had because I thought I had read or heard somewhere that is was being discontinued. Was back in last week and they had several one pound cans of it. I bought one more pound so I have 4 or 5 pounds now.

Probably could use other powders but in Marty's myopic, 17 Remington world, there is 4320, Hornady 25 grain HP's and Remington 71/2 primers. No other components need apply.

I love your "myopic".
Hopefully you have laid in a good quantity of Hornady 25gr.hp's since they discontinued them.
4320 has always been the go to powder for the 17 Rem 25gr. bullets and a load I still do. I have found that IMR8208XBR is equally as good in the 17 Rem.
Rem. 71/2 primers were specifically developed for the 17 Rem. What a great primer.
Posted By: mart Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 08/01/20
I kept buying the Hornady 25 grain HP's anytime I saw them. Ended up with 1100 before I stopped to count. Should be enough to get me by one or two lifetimes since I am not somewhere to shoot ground squirrels or PD's anymore.
Posted By: TheKid Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 08/01/20
The 25gr Hornady HP hasn’t let me down yet and I managed to lay in about 400 after they were discontinued.

I wouldn’t mind buying a barrels worth of some good 25gr HP to get me through this barrel. When it stops shooting I’ll probably get a blank with a tighter twist and try out the 30s as I hear good things.
I am not a complete stick in the mud. I recently ordered some 30 grain HP from Texas Gold and picked up some Hornady 25 and 20 grain VMax to try. I did try 8208 but didn't get the accuracy I did with 4320.
I plan on trying CFE at some point in the 17 Rem. How did you order the Texas Gold bullets, mart?
They were advertised here a few months ago. I ordered 200 to try.
Posted By: K22 Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 08/01/20
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I plan on trying CFE at some point in the 17 Rem. How did you order the Texas Gold bullets, mart?

I've heard good things about CFE223 in 17's. Let us know your results.
Posted By: TheKid Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 08/01/20
CFE is all I use in mine. Incredible speeds and accuracy, plus it goes through the measure like water.
Posted By: dingo Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 08/01/20
I've had several .17 Rem rifles and used many different powders including IMR4320, although my preference is either Varget or W760. The discontinued 25gn Hornady HP is my bullet of choice and luckily I have enough to see out my Fox hunting days.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: ingwe Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 08/01/20
Originally Posted by dingo
I've had several .17 Rem rifles and used many different powders including IMR4320, although my preference is either Varget or W760. The discontinued 25gn Hornady HP is my bullet of choice and luckily I have enough to see out my Fox hunting days.

Really good to hear about the Hornady 25 grain HP....A number of coyote hunters here in the states recommended it as their favorite bullet for fur, so I stocked up whenever I could find them. Judging by your pics, you aren't getting many exits even on the smaller critters. Just what I was looking for! I shot a bunch of fox ( greys) last year with a slightly downloaded 20 gr. Vmax and it did great but I wanted a bit more muscle for our coyotes....which I am going to start taking to task in October!

BTW...that rifle looks familiar, though mine is in a .223

My .17 is a modified Remington 700 LVSF and is rapidly becoming my favorite calling gun...

Originally Posted by dingo

Love it when I see others shooting those fuggin cats!!

One highly efficient predator right there
Posted By: K22 Re: IMR 4320 in 17 Remington - 08/02/20
CFE is all I use in mine. Incredible speeds and accuracy, plus it goes through the measure like water.

Do you know what kind of speeds you are getting with CFE?
How is it compared to IMR8208 in speed? Accuracy in mine is excellent.
© 24hourcampfire