Home
Posted By: Jevyod 17 caliber bullet options. - 08/14/20
Need to work up some loads for my 17 hornet. I just shot a box of factory 20 grain vmax until I could load up some. It seems like there are very few options. I want a higher BC than the 20 grn hollow points. I was thinking of trying g the 25 grain Hornady hp, but seems like they stopped making them? Am afraid the 25 grn vmax wont stabilize. (Rifle is the savage 25 walking varmint) I had got some Nosler 20 grn hollow points, and they did show promise with 5 shot .8 inch group at 100 yrs. But the dismal bc has me looking for a better bullet. So seems like the 20grn tipped hornady and nosler are my best option? Just making sure I am not missing anything here. I am a bit reluctant to pay for the 25 grn Bergers as they are quite a bit more than the Hornady and nosler. Game is eastern groundhogs. I may just go with the 20 grn vmax since the factory stuff I tried has laid them out pretty quickly.
Why not shoot the 17 gr used in 17 HMR? High BC.
Posted By: Jevyod Re: 17 caliber bullet options. - 08/14/20
Originally Posted by ConradCA

Where do I find them?
It's too bad they stuck a 1:14 twist on that rifle. I can't figure out why...I'd suggest sticking with 20gr V-max since they shoot well in your rifle.
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Originally Posted by ConradCA

Where do I find them?

You don't - to my knowledge, Hornady doesn't offer their 17gr 17 cal bullets as a component. I've shot hundreds of prairie dogs this summer with the 20gr V-max out of my CZ 17 Hornet and they worked great! I suggest you stick with the 20 gr poly-tipped bullets in your 17 Hornet. I wish I had them as a kid when I was harassing woodchucks in New England.
Posted By: Jevyod Re: 17 caliber bullet options. - 08/14/20
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
It's too bad they stuck a 1:14 twist on that rifle. I can't figure out why...I'd suggest sticking with 20gr V-max since they shoot well in your rifle.

I checked Savage's website, and according to them they used a 1:9 twist.
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

I checked Savage's website, and according to them they used a 1:9 twist.

Ahh. You are correct. I was looking at the wrong caliber. Your 1:9 will stabilize ANY 25gr bullet just fine.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 17 caliber bullet options. - 08/15/20
I remain with the 20 grain VMAX in my 2 17 Hornets.
Posted By: jdunham Re: 17 caliber bullet options. - 08/19/20
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I remain with the 20 grain VMAX in my 2 17 Hornets.

Same here, they are like peanut butter and jelly with the 17 hornet. Woodchucks just fall over like they had a heart attack when hit with this combo and then their tail does the death rattle. The little hornet lets you watch the entire thing through the scope.
Posted By: dale06 Re: 17 caliber bullet options. - 08/20/20
20 grain vmax, is the cats ass in 17H
Need to work up some loads for my 17 hornet. I just shot a box of factory 20 grain vmax until I could load up some. It seems like there are very few options. I want a higher BC than the 20 grn hollow points. I was thinking of trying g the 25 grain Hornady hp, but seems like they stopped making them? Am afraid the 25 grn vmax wont stabilize. (Rifle is the savage 25 walking varmint) I had got some Nosler 20 grn hollow points, and they did show promise with 5 shot .8 inch group at 100 yrs. But the dismal bc has me looking for a better bullet. So seems like the 20grn tipped hornady and nosler are my best option? Just making sure I am not missing anything here. I am a bit reluctant to pay for the 25 grn Bergers as they are quite a bit more than the Hornady and nosler. Game is eastern groundhogs. I may just go with the 20 grn vmax since the factory stuff I tried has laid them out pretty quickly.

Not many heavy options available any more, especially cost effective options. Look at Saubier. com for anything small cal.
© 24hourcampfire