Home
Posted By: JerradPelzer Twist question - 01/18/21
What twist barrel would work best for 55 and 70 grain .243 bullets. In a 6creed/243 rifle. Thanks
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: Twist question - 01/18/21
I have a 6mm BR rifle with a 1 in 14" twist. It will stabilize 55 through 70 grain bullets very well. I picked a 14" twist as the rifle is a varmint gun and shots are under 400 yards for the most part. I would not pick that twist again. However, I would not recommend that slow a twist. I would go with a 1 in 9" twist. It's hard to over stabilize a bullet, but easy to have too slow a twist.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Twist question - 01/19/21

better to over twist than under twist

with 6BR velocities...........

8-9 twist with prob no chance of spinning jackets of the bullets
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Twist question - 01/19/21

years ago...my 6XC 8T/3G

would spin jackets off the 75 V max

but not the 87 V
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Twist question - 01/19/21
Originally Posted by tikkanut

years ago...my 6XC 8T/3G

would spin jackets off the 75 V max

but not the 87 V

Yeah the 1-8"twist 3 groove barrels were a major debacle for me in several rifles...........never again !!!!!!!!!

As for the OP, if you are not going to shoot heavier than 70gr bullets.........1-12" twist 4,5 or 6groove barrel
Posted By: JerradPelzer Re: Twist question - 01/19/21
I picked up a Howa 1500 6creed from a member on here and thinking it’s a 7.5 twist. I may pick up a Tikka 243 for the kids and not 100% sure but kinda thought they were 10 twist. Just looking at what bullets I have and what I’m finding in stock. I thought loading some 55-70gr for this summer for prairie dogs (mainly use the 22’s and 17’s)

Didn’t know if that 7.5 would work at all with the 70’s
Posted By: rayporter Re: Twist question - 01/19/21
the 55 ballistic tips do real good in an 8 twist.
Posted By: rayporter Re: Twist question - 01/19/21
the 55 ballistic tips do real good in an 8 twist.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Twist question - 01/19/21
If you're sticking to the 55-70gr bullet weight range, a 1:14 is the best twist. It will be too slow for most bullets heavier than 75 grains.

The best way to pick a twist rate is to consider the longest, heaviest bullet you will ever shoot, and pick the optimum twist for that bullet. All the lighter, shorter bullets will shoot just fine in nearly all cases.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Twist question - 01/19/21
I built a 243 with a 1in 12 twist. Worked great with 70 grain bullets. Never tried anything smaller. Hasbeen
Posted By: aalf Re: Twist question - 01/19/21

14" twist with 70 BT's in a 6x47 Lapua......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Twist question - 01/20/21
I would do an 8, or I wouldn't do a .243....of course, I would rather shoot 70s from a .22 than a .24.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Twist question - 01/20/21
Why would you limit yourself with a 14" twist? You might want to shoot a longer bullet some day.

Not being intentionally snarky, just don't understand the reasoning.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Twist question - 01/20/21
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Why would you limit yourself with a 14" twist? You might want to shoot a longer bullet some day.

I am of the same opinion...
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Twist question - 01/20/21

My dad shot bench rest rifles at targets and varmints for many years toward the end of his life. He used 6mm rifles and small 6mm cartridges and 1:14 twist barrels, using bullets from 60-75 grains. Some guys just want to shoot the light bullets. If that's the case, a 14-twist is the best twist. He shot lots of .1's.

Why would he do that??
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Twist question - 01/20/21

You prevented me from asking the same question. Never say never.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Twist question - 01/20/21
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
If you're sticking to the 55-70gr bullet weight range, a 1:14 is the best twist. It will be too slow for most bullets heavier than 75 grains.

The best way to pick a twist rate is to consider the longest, heaviest bullet you will ever shoot, and pick the optimum twist for that bullet. All the lighter, shorter bullets will shoot just fine in nearly all cases.

^^^^^This. Short and simple. BTDT multiple times.
Posted By: aalf Re: Twist question - 01/21/21

Food for thought......

In my 6x47 Lapua switch barrel, comparing the 70 grain BT load in the 14" twist, to the 105 Berger load in the 8" twist, they run neck & neck to 550 yards, before the Berger starts taking over.
Posted By: ISRO Re: Twist question - 01/21/21
Originally Posted by aalf

Food for thought......

In my 6x47 Lapua, comparing the 70 grain BT load to the 105 Berger load, they run neck & neck to 550 yards, before the Berger starts taking over.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Twist question - 01/22/21

My dad shot bench rest rifles at targets and varmints for many years toward the end of his life. He used 6mm rifles and small 6mm cartridges and 1:14 twist barrels, using bullets from 60-75 grains. Some guys just want to shoot the light bullets. If that's the case, a 14-twist is the best twist. He shot lots of .1's.

Why would he do that??

Faster rotation causes greater precession and nutation when asymmetries exist in the bullet. This was especially important in decades passed, as bullets were not balanced as well as they are today. With the quality of today's bullets, the negative impact of faster twist on precision is not nearly as large as it used to be. Bullets still aren't perfect, so for BR purposes an excessively fast twist might be a hindrance, but for the rest of us there is no downside to a faster-than-needed rate of twist.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Twist question - 01/22/21

Food for thought......

In my 6x47 Lapua switch barrel, comparing the 70 grain BT load in the 14" twist, to the 105 Berger load in the 8" twist, they run neck & neck to 550 yards, before the Berger starts taking over.

What quantity are you comparing, aalf? Wind drift w/ 10mph wind, drop, etc?
Posted By: aalf Re: Twist question - 01/22/21
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Food for thought......

Just drop......

Of course wind will favor the better BC sooner, but at what point does it not matter if the coyote is in overdrive heading for the next section..... grin
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Twist question - 01/22/21

Food for thought......

Just drop......

Of course wind will favor the better BC sooner, but at what point does it not matter if the coyote is in overdrive heading for the next section..... grin

Drop is largely irrelevant, its just math. Wind a lot more variable, and where those big, slippery bullets come into their own.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Twist question - 01/22/21

Why would he do that??

Faster rotation causes greater precession and nutation when asymmetries exist in the bullet. This was especially important in decades passed, as bullets were not balanced as well as they are today. With the quality of today's bullets, the negative impact of faster twist on precision is not nearly as large as it used to be. Bullets still aren't perfect, so for BR purposes an excessively fast twist might be a hindrance, but for the rest of us there is no downside to a faster-than-needed rate of twist.

You're right, of course, but that isn't what the OP asked. I answered his question, and then I answered the follow-up question as to why. You have told me why it doesn't matter so much, but the answer still is what the answer is. The best twist for those bullets in that caliber is 1:14. I don't know why people want to argue about this.

"Yeah, there is a tested-and-endlessly-proven standard coming from benchrest shooters that is definitely the best for precision in those bullet weights, but you should get a faster twist, because bullets are generally better than they used to be."
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Twist question - 01/23/21

Why would he do that??

You're right, of course, but that isn't what the OP asked. I answered his question, and then I answered the follow-up question as to why. You have told me why it doesn't matter so much, but the answer still is what the answer is. The best twist for those bullets in that caliber is 1:14. I don't know why people want to argue about this.

"Yeah, there is a tested-and-endlessly-proven standard coming from benchrest shooters that is definitely the best for precision in those bullet weights, but you should get a faster twist, because bullets are generally better than they used to be."

Not trying to argue, and that's also not what I said. I said for us non-BR shooters there's no downside to a faster twist, meaning that a faster twist does not result in a meaningful decrease in precision with today's bullets, but it does increase the range of bullet options we can shoot from the rifle.

Again, not trying to argue your point, just commenting on the fact that "over twisting" doesn't make as much difference in precision as it used to. This is a discussion board, after all.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Twist question - 01/23/21

Food for thought......

Just drop......

Best to put him on the ground before overdrive kicks in... grin
Posted By: roninflag Re: Twist question - 01/25/21
the benchresters use a 14 twist and the y shoot 65- 68 bullets out of a 6ppc.
Posted By: Benbo Re: Twist question - 02/17/21
My first “custom” varmint rifle was a 12” twist Hart on a Rem700 action in 6mm Ackley. It shot 55BT’s into tiny tiny groups at nearly 4300fps. It shot 70BT and Sierra BK great as well. I started wanting to shoot deer with it but never could get a100gr bullet to shoot under about 2” at 100 yards. It also shot 85 bthp sierras really well also. I’ve since shot quite a few deer with it with 70BTs and it kills like lightning. But if I were to do it again I’d go with a 10” twist. That barrel is on its last leg and when it goes back for its next barrel it will be a 10” twist. Probably another Hart but perhaps a Krieger.
© 24hourcampfire