Home
as opposed to rear bag and bipod?
Me. Maybe a bipod is great in the dirt in the prone...but it seems to react off a hard surface of a bench...I never did a real test to tell.
bags are always better
When I shoot with a bipod off a bench, I put a piece of foam about 1-1/2" thick in a canvas bag under the legs. I guess it helps...but I really don't like using a bipod that way.
Yes, I do.
Protektor leather bags front and rear and a good pedestal rest like a Hart or Sinclair is better than a bipod if you're looking for the best groups.
I can screw up with either. Not consistently loading bipod. Bags not configured to match the forend. If I spend less than 30 minutes setting up, dry-fire, etc prior to 1st shot am pretty much doomed to struggle. Little things get me.
If I sight in with a bipod and then shoot off of a rest I can usually count on my bullets hitting a bit lower than they did off the bipod. I usually put a piece of carpet under the bipod's legs but no matter what it is easier for me to shoot tight groups off of bags.
Originally Posted by rickt300
as opposed to rear bag and bipod?

Same same for me.. Same as shooting over a pack too...
Originally Posted by Bugger
bags are always better

^^^^^^^
This nails it.
Benchrest shooters don’t use bipods. Hunters use bipods. Quarter inch groups versus one inch groups. Edk
Rickt300: I quit doing comparisons MANY years ago - I proved up on the heavy sand bags being slightly superior (front and rear!) over a bi-pod rested Rifle.
I recommend the heavy proper fitting sandbags to attain best groupings.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Heres another way to look at it - you don't see many bench rest match winners using "bi-pods"!
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Rickt300: I quit doing comparisons MANY years ago - I proved up on the heavy sand bags being slightly superior (front and rear!) over a bi-pod rested Rifle.
I recommend the heavy proper fitting sandbags to attain best groupings.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Heres another way to look at it - you don't see many bench rest match winners using "bi-pods"!

Laffin...
Use a proper fitting sandbag in rear and a folded blanket front....off the golf cart bed (tail gate down)....very mobile and set up anywhere quick. Shop stool and you ready to go.
Originally Posted by lotech
Protektor leather bags front and rear and a good pedestal rest like a Hart or Sinclair is better than a bipod if you're looking for the best groups.
What he said +1
When I’m doing serious load development it’s always off “benchrest” style front and rear bags. The only time I’ve gotten better groups from a bipod was with single shot pistols. I just can’t hold as steady as I used to with them. Still use bags under the grip though.
© 24hourcampfire