Home
Posted By: dale06 Primers - 03/04/21

Which of these is the mildest small rifle primer-

Remington 7.5
CCI 400
Win WSR
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Primers - 03/04/21
In my testing in .223 the CCI 400 would be the mildest, but the results are load dependent.
In other words depending on different powder, powder charge, bullet, brass, rifle, you will see shifting results.
FWIW in 5 of the 6 tests I did, the CCI 450 provided a lower velocity than the CCI 400.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Primers - 03/04/21
Were you surprised at the lower velocity of the 450's?
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Primers - 03/05/21
A bit, seeing as how the CCI 450 are magnum primers.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Primers - 03/05/21
This may be common but I was not aware of it. Thanks.
Posted By: lotech Re: Primers - 03/05/21
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
This may be common but I was not aware of it. Thanks.

You never know what you are going to come up with in doing these tests. That's why it's usually worth the effort to do so. A year or so ago, when shooting groups (and chronographing) using three primers, CCI-400, CCI-450, and Remington 7 1/2s, in two Colt ARs, I found the CCI-400 provided generally better accuracy than the other two primers, though the differences were small. I realize the CCI-400 is not recommended for AR loads.Sometimes, velocities of standard and magnum primers are virtually identical. Switch powders and the velocity difference may be significant.
Posted By: sherm_61 Re: Primers - 03/06/21
From all my research and talking to primer people the only difference between a SRP magnum and non magnum is cup thickness. LRP big difference.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Primers - 03/09/21
cci
Posted By: DonFischer Re: Primers - 03/09/21
Good grief, try them all and see which one works best for you!
© 24hourcampfire