Home
Posted By: OSU_Sig Sierra 64 gr Game Changer - 06/26/21
Has anyone shot these tipped Gamekings? I'd think they would be big medicine on thin skinned game. Any experience?
Posted By: Seafire Re: Sierra 64 gr Game Changer - 06/27/21
based on my experience with the 6mm 90 grain one, all I can pass on, is shoot it running it hard on the speed...

They are not like a ballistic tip, opening up at low speeds.. they won't...

Running one out of a faster twist 22.250, I'd bet they are going to be pretty darn bad ass...

I'll have to look for a box... if that is possible in this post pandemic "oh schitt, Gun Grabbing DemocRats are back in office" world we are living in.

I got plenty of RL 26, which seems to be rocket fuel to most handloaders these days...
This bullet is one of Sierra's newest offerings, I also have wanted to try it but have never seen it in stock.
My LGS said they have never been able to put a box on the shelf yet.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Sierra 64 gr Game Changer - 06/27/21
I'm seeing some on gunbroker and thought about trying a box.
I bought a couple of boxes, am trying them with VV140. So far they aren't as accurate in my CZ as either the Sierra 63 or 65, but I'm still playing, looks like faster is better for them.

Hope to use them this fall.
Posted By: Kbass Re: Sierra 64 gr Game Changer - 06/27/21
No experience with that caliber, but the 130s work on great in 6.5creed on white tails & black bear. I'd compare them to hornady interlocks on game. Group great in my rifle using same loads as other bullets
Here is what Sierra says about them:
Features

Optimal jacket wall thickness controls expansion and retains weight
Open pocket under the polymer tip expands lead core instantly on impact
Tuned ogive for industry-leading BC
Boat tail design for stable flight and accuracy

Introducing the Sierra GameChanger hunting bullet: the perfect combination of Sierra’s legendary match accuracy coupled with deadly penetration. Sierra re-engineered their legendary MatchKing bullet into a hollow point design for quick expansion and fitted it with a transparent green tip for ballistic uniformity. Inside, the GameChanger features a unique construction that utlilizes a special lead alloy surrounded by a tough copper jacket that delivers excellent penetration and expansion at a variety of ranges. It’s a GameChanger on any hunt!
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
I bought a couple of boxes, am trying them with VV140. So far they aren't as accurate in my CZ as either the Sierra 63 or 65, but I'm still playing, looks like faster is better for them.

I'm going to try some in a fast twist 22-250 to see if I can make them shoot.
I'd like to see a penetration comparison between these and the 77 TMK. Would be interesting.
Posted By: tomt53 Re: Sierra 64 gr Game Changer - 07/10/21
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

I'm going to try some in a fast twist 22-250 to see if I can make them shoot.

I have a fast twist 22-250 Tikka. Loaded up some of the 64 TGK with RL 16, started at 35 gn and went up to 36 gn in .2 increments seated .030" off lands. We shall see how they do.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Sierra 64 gr Game Changer - 07/10/21
Excellent. Keep us posted, Tom.
Posted By: tomt53 Re: Sierra 64 gr Game Changer - 07/20/21
35.9 or36.0 looks like it needs to be chrono'ed

Attached picture 64 TGK RL16(1).jpg
I'm running a Silencerco Saker 556 on an ASR mount.
One of the 36.0 rounds didn't want to chamber...at this time not sure why.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Sierra 64 gr Game Changer - 07/21/21
thanks for posting this. I'll be interested to learn why one round wouldn't chamber.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Sierra 64 gr Game Changer - 07/21/21
loaded up some 64gr TMK with Varget and RL17 in a 7 twist 22-250, it's a toss up for accuracy, now to chronograph for speed, then to test it on some red tag dear to see how it kills
Posted By: tomt53 Re: Sierra 64 gr Game Changer - 07/21/21
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
thanks for posting this. I'll be interested to learn why one round wouldn't chamber.

Rookie mistake, I didn't check to see if the primer was seated below the primer pocket. I checked OAL of the cartridge and it was way off, then looked at primer. All of them are now seated below primer pocket. I have a Frankford Arsenal hand primer, adjusted to make it seat a little deeper. I loaded some 35.9 and 36.0 to run across the chronograph.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Sierra 64 gr Game Changer - 07/22/21
Thanks for sharing. I'm glad it wasn't something really hard to diagnose.
© 24hourcampfire