Home
Anyone know if it can be done? anyone ever try it? i bought some benchmark and did get some 80 grain bullets to try and calm down an AR15 with a varmint barrel that shoots like dog doo
Reckon Benchmark would work better on the light end of bullet weights.....
never tried Benchmark on heavies, only because it was engineered for the lighter/shorter bullets ...

I'd think that Varget or RE-15 would shine with an 80g bullet ...
I use benchmark in my 243 with 55grn bullets and shoots very tight. I also tried it with 70grn bullets and it shot terrible!
I use it on 52 gr bullets never tried it on big stuff.
I would use Varget with 80 grain bullets. What twist does your ar-15 have? You will need a 1/8 or faster to stabilize them.
My two fast-twist .223's (7inch HBAR and 8 inch LBC Super Varmint) like Varget with the heavier bullets (60 grains on up).
It can work, a junior team uses it with 75s. Sorry I don't have a clue as to the load or why they switched, varget had been doing them just fine....

Jeff
BM seems kinda fast for an 80 grainer. The times I tried it, (I've settled on 4895 and Varget for most jobs) it seemed happiest in the 50 grain range, but it was not THAT happy, at least in my rifles. It was certainly unhappy under 60 grainers.
© 24hourcampfire