Home
Posted By: haazrob CCI 41 primers - 01/22/22
Are these primers compatible with a .222 Remington or just AR 5.56/.223 ammo? Rob
Posted By: steveredd1 Re: CCI 41 primers - 01/22/22
yes just thicker cup, tad bit hotter than cci 400
Posted By: hanco Re: CCI 41 primers - 01/22/22
Midway has some now
Posted By: RiverRider Re: CCI 41 primers - 01/23/22
Midway was limiting purchases to 1000 at a time. Hardly worth the hazmat charges unless you find some powder you need, and the pickins are mighty slim.

Brownell's will let you buy 2000 at a time. Not a helluva lot better but some...and they have a little powder to choose from. Might make it worth the expense.
Posted By: haazrob Re: CCI 41 primers - 01/23/22
The lgs had some today. I bought 2 packs at 9.95 plus tax.
Posted By: haazrob Re: CCI 41 primers - 01/23/22
Can powder and primers be shipped together?
Posted By: RiverRider Re: CCI 41 primers - 01/23/22
Some shippers have refused to do it, but others will. I think they call it "overpacking" but I could be mistaken.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: CCI 41 primers - 01/24/22
Freind has a brick of those and 50% are misfires in his Savage Axis 350 Legend, fwiw.
Posted By: kingston Re: CCI 41 primers - 01/24/22
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Freind has a brick of those and 50% are misfires in his Savage Axis 350 Legend, fwiw.

LMFAO
Originally Posted by kingston

LMFAO

I missed it. What's funny?
Posted By: hanco Re: CCI 41 primers - 01/24/22

I just loaded 500 223’s, hope the hell I don’t have misfires. I’m gonna shoot some in a Ruger bolt gun.
Originally Posted by hanco

I just loaded 500 223’s, hope the hell I don’t have misfires. I’m gonna shoot some in a Ruger bolt gun.

My friends rifle shoots factory ammo perfectly and never a misfire, but every other one of his handloads fails to fire. Maybe kingston can enlighten him.
Posted By: pullit Re: CCI 41 primers - 01/24/22
Just wondering, did he get the primer seated all the way?
That does seem strange.
Originally Posted by pullit
Just wondering, did he get the primer seated all the way?
That does seem strange.

No idea. I only know what he told me.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: CCI 41 primers - 01/24/22

My friends rifle shoots factory ammo perfectly and never a misfire, but every other one of his handloads fails to fire. Maybe kingston can enlighten him.

I see 2 potential problems. Failing to get the primers seated and over squeezing the cases down too far.

I like to use the Hornady comparator to check my resized cases. I just picked one up about a year ago and I was really over working my brass squeezing it down too far. Each comparator is only about $20 and each bushing is $15. You will need an electronic caliper to measure the cases. Those can be had for around $40. It's a real eye opener.

kwg
Posted By: Seafire Re: CCI 41 primers - 01/24/22
I ended up with 2 ( 100 pack) of them, in trading with a friend who wanted small pistol primers real bad...

I just ended up giving them to another friend, who wanted some primers for his AR...
Posted By: hanco Re: CCI 41 primers - 01/24/22
I’m gonna be irritated to the 5th power if I have misfires. I’m going pig hunting Thursday. I better try some when I get there. I like my little bolt gun for riding around in Polaris.
Posted By: KenMi Re: CCI 41 primers - 01/25/22
Some 350 dies come with a roll crimp. If you roll crimp into a groove it will cause the headspace to be off and probably misfire.
Needs taper crimp
Posted By: ldholton Re: CCI 41 primers - 01/25/22

I've seen this before in a Savage Axis. He was chambered 25-06 brand new brass the rifle would not fire. Fired brass in a different chamber resized with the shoulder bumped and it fired just fine. If I remember right the shoulder difference was 12 - 15 thousands. It's kind of like that headspace was just a hair bit long. Never found any other explanation
Posted By: haazrob Re: CCI 41 primers - 01/25/22
I’m gonna be irritated to the 5th power if I have misfires. I’m going pig hunting Thursday. I better try some when I get there. I like my little bolt gun for riding around in Polaris.

Let us know how you make out. Rob
Posted By: 450BM Re: CCI 41 primers - 02/06/22
Originally Posted by kingston

LMFAO

I missed it. What's funny?

I was wondering the same thing…
Posted By: navlav8r Re: CCI 41 primers - 02/07/22
I had no problems in a Rem 40-X in 222 Magnum with CFE223. Velocities for five shot groups with 28.5 grs of CFE223, 50 gr Sierra Blitzking, Nosler cases were:
CCI 41
3405, es 59
3445, es 76
3405, es 66
3390, es 59
3390, es 91

CCI SR Mag
3435, es 83
3370, es 53
3370, es 56
3420, es 26
3385, es 36

Winchester SR
3425, es 28
3405, es 42
3385, es 51
3380, es 29
3385, es 27
3350, es 38
The CCI41’s had three groups over an inch, 1.2”, 1.75” and 1.05”. All the other groups were less than 0.85 and 11 less than 0.6”
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: CCI 41 primers - 02/08/22
The brick I have will be used in my Mini 14, which gives a pretty good whack, and might just maybe be capable of a slam-fire, though I’ve never heard of it happening. The thicker cup is supposed to help prevent that, I’ve read. Power-wise, they’re supposed to be on par with 450s.
Posted By: 603Country Re: CCI 41 primers - 02/09/22
I use only CCI 41’s in my AR. For years I used CCI BR4’s in all 223 rifles. Both the 41’s and the BR4’s have the thicker primer cup - thicker than the cup on CCI 400’s. All went well until I decided to use up all my CCI 400’s in the AR. I was at the bench at my ranch the other day checking sights, and had 10 rounds in the mag. I fired off a couple of rounds with no problem, then when I pulled the trigger I went full auto for 5 rounds. Turns out that CCI 400’s are not recommended for use in an AR. My primer seater, when I loaded primers in new Lapua brass, which has tight primer pockets, mashed the cup down a bit on those softer CCI 400’s - closer to the anvil - and caused a runaway. The floating firing pin had just enough force to fire off the primer. So I transitioned to the thicker and harder CCI 41 military primers.

If I hadn’t mashed the CCI 400’s a bit, I’d probably have had no runaway. Soft primers, forceful seater, floating firing pin. In combination, it caused the problem.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: CCI 41 primers - 02/09/22
I’m no gunsmith but that doesn’t sound like a primer induced problem…..
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: CCI 41 primers - 02/09/22
Originally Posted by 603Country
I use only CCI 41’s in my AR. For years I used CCI BR4’s in all 223 rifles. Both the 41’s and the BR4’s have the thicker primer cup - thicker than the cup on CCI 400’s. All went well until I decided to use up all my CCI 400’s in the AR. I was at the bench at my ranch the other day checking sights, and had 10 rounds in the mag. I fired off a couple of rounds with no problem, then when I pulled the trigger I went full auto for 5 rounds. Turns out that CCI 400’s are not recommended for use in an AR. My primer seater, when I loaded primers in new Lapua brass, which has tight primer pockets, mashed the cup down a bit on those softer CCI 400’s - closer to the anvil - and caused a runaway. The floating firing pin had just enough force to fire off the primer. So I transitioned to the thicker and harder CCI 41 military primers.

If I hadn’t mashed the CCI 400’s a bit, I’d probably have had no runaway. Soft primers, forceful seater, floating firing pin. In combination, it caused the problem.

You better check you pos gun. It's not a primer issue. I and many others have fired 1,000's upon 1,000's of the CCI400's in AR rifles. On to the subject of CCI41's, those are excellent primers. As others have said, thicker cups, like the BR4's. I get about the same accuracy using 41's as compared to the match primers as well. Again, CCI400 SRP's work just fine. They are softer though, but have never given me or any of my friends any issues to be concerned about. Also for guys having issues with CCI41's in their bolt guns, if you are using a pos you may have issues.
Posted By: 603Country Re: CCI 41 primers - 02/09/22
I don’t think it’s the fault of the primer. I think it’s because I managed to flatten some of those primers with my priming tool, forcing the primer cup much closer to the primer anvil, making them more susceptible to firing with a light strike from the floating firing pin. Never had the problem till I primed those tight pocket Lapua cases. Cases with looser pockets never gave me a problem.

Anyway, back on topic, the CCI 41’s gave me the same accuracy as the other primers. I’ll use them in the AR and the BR4’s will be used for the bolt gun. I’m out of CCI 400’s, so whatever the problem, it won’t happen again.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: CCI 41 primers - 02/09/22
Nah, it's your POS rifle as verified by the experience of BullShitArtist1917 and "any of his friends" who have carefully inspected your weapon.
But kudos on the 10 round group! We know that's the BSA approved minimum.
laugh cry laugh cry laugh
Posted By: boatanchor Re: CCI 41 primers - 02/12/22
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Nah, it's your POS rifle as verified by the experience of BullShitArtist1917 and "any of his friends" who have carefully inspected your weapon.
But kudos on the 10 round group! We know that's the BSA approved minimum.
laugh cry laugh cry laugh

grin!!!
© 24hourcampfire