Home
A few days ago I asked if a 1:12" twist would stabilize these projectiles. Colodog generously sent some to me to test which I did Friday morning. Nosler indicated that CFE223 was their most accurate powder so I loaded from their start to maximum loads. The lighter loads produced patterns while the 26 grain max. load did produce somewhat of a group @ 1.8" but, all loads showed signs of tipping at 100 yards. I guess 60 grains is the heaviest this barrel will shoot. Thanks to colodog I have the answer! grin
So far, I’ve yet to get great accuracy with those, either in my limited handloading, or Nosler factory, but for the purpose to which I’d turn them, it’s okay. Actually, the factory won’t even chamber in my Hawkeye AW; have yet to diagnose that one, but the Mini 14 eats them up. Buck a pop for over-runs from SPS.
I’m also struggling to find a great load with those bullets for my AR. They shoot real nice in my 223 bolt gun though. I’m using H335 and Lapua brass.
Originally Posted by Joe
A few days ago I asked if a 1:12" twist would stabilize these projectiles. Colodog generously sent some to me to test which I did Friday morning. Nosler indicated that CFE223 was their most accurate powder so I loaded from their start to maximum loads. The lighter loads produced patterns while the 26 grain max. load did produce somewhat of a group @ 1.8" but, all loads showed signs of tipping at 100 yards. I guess 60 grains is the heaviest this barrel will shoot. Thanks to colodog I have the answer! grin

That's too bad. I really like these. I don't remember really trying to get accuracy out of them. I think they've always been 1.5" or better but out of faster twists. I consider that just fine for an <300 yard deer / pig round.
My Tikka 1-10” shoots them very well with Varget.

P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

What's your load? I think I was loading them up with 25gr of Varget to be used in an AR. I'd like to try them in my 1/10 Tikka.

P

Yeah, my 1-7 AR did well with them and a max charge of Varget. Not sure if it's THE powder or not, but it worked. (5 shots under an inch)

CFE 223 did almost as well in the CZ.
Originally Posted by devnull

P

What's your load? I think I was loading them up with 25gr of Varget to be used in an AR. I'd like to try them in my 1/10 Tikka.

My load is over max but safe in my rifle. Shortactionsmoker actually worked up the load in the Tikka and wrote about it, then posted the rifle for sale here on the ‘fire so I bought it. I tried to find his original post but couldn’t. Back in 2013 I believe.

Send me a pm. I don’t post over- max loads.

P
These have to be the worst shooting .22 bullets I’ve tried to work with . . . Maybe ever. Best groups (5 shots) were in the slightly over an inch range.
Originally Posted by John0313
These have to be the worst shooting .22 bullets I’ve tried to work with . . . Maybe ever. Best groups (5 shots) were in the slightly over an inch range.

That was my experience with them as well...
I’d hate to think of how far away a deer or pig would have to be that I couldn’t kill him with a rifle that would “only” put 5 shots in an inch and a quarter…
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’d hate to think of how far away a deer or pig would have to be that I couldn’t kill him with a rifle that would “only” put 5 shots in an inch and a quarter…
Betting that's farther than it should be used on deer or pigs.......by a goodly bit.

Yeah but you're an accomplished "Stunt Shooter" laugh

I compare hunting rounds to archery. If you knew you could put 5 broadheads into 2” at 100 yards would you have confidence in your equipment. What about 4”? Oh yeah.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by John0313

That was my experience with them as well...
Me, too.

And out of an 8 twist 22-250 Shilen barrel.

At least they're said to have good terminal ballistics on game.

DF
Took me awhile, but I get good groups with them.
CCI 400 primer.

Max load charge of IMR-4895, 25 or 25.5 grains.

5 shot 3/4 inch groups out of my Criterion barrels.

But they didn't like anything else I tried.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Took me awhile, but I get good groups with them.
CCI 400 primer.

Max load charge of IMR-4895, 25 or 25.5 grains.

5 shot 3/4 inch groups out of my Criterion barrels.

But they didn't like anything else I tried.
I think you got’em dialed in about as well as I’ve seen.

I’d think you have a good hunting load for appropriate critters.

DF
I'm going to try your data to see if I can get some to shoot as well as you.
Shortactionsmoker worked up a load using Varget in a 1-10 Tikka a few years ago.

I can’t find his write up but it was a good one.
Wonder what they will do that a Partition won't?
Shortactionsmoker worked up a load using Varget in a 1-10 Tikka a few years ago.

Here you go:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/7768352/Searchpage/1/Main/545931/Words/%2Bvarget/Search/true/re-64-gr-nosler-test-fire#Post7768352
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Probably nothing, but these are fairly easy to come by, 60 gr Partitions aren't always.
Originally Posted by devnull

Here you go:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/7768352/Searchpage/1/Main/545931/Words/%2Bvarget/Search/true/re-64-gr-nosler-test-fire#Post7768352

Thanks

I bought the rifle he worked the load up with.
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Probably nothing, but these are fairly easy to come by, 60 gr Partitions aren't always.
They must have started making them again.
Probably not much.

DF
As for me, I finally found the load for those 64 GR Nosler BSB’s. It did take a while. It turned out that the magic load for 65 gr Sierra GK’s was the magic load for the 64 gr BSBs. Lapua brass, CCI 41 primers, 24.3 gr of H335 (work up to it).

I was having trouble with the bullet until a fellow said to start increasing the COAL. That did it. I suppose the bullet is sensitive to seating depth.
I've been getting just so so results with the 64 bsb also. Best I could do so far is just under and inch using 23.5 of H335. I've got 8 or 900 more to play with so I imagine I'll find a good load sooner or later. If not at least I get to play alot with them! lol

Or a 62 grain Bear Claw
H-335 gave me simular results running the bullet out about .020 or a little more than would fit in the mag .
Still gives you two shots .
Some time ago had a 1/12 Olympic Arms ultra match and later a 223 Wylde 1/8 was able to get good accuracy with both .
Can’t remember the particulars but got notes somewhere.
The factory stuff ran about an 1” give or take on various days.
The Wylde 1.5”
I know that’s sounds contrary to logic .
That Wylde barrel just wouldn’t shoot with the ultra .
Kenneth
© 24hourcampfire