Home
Posted By: verns Hornady Varmint -Vmax - 04/29/22
Is this something new ? I mostly use Sierra if available but noticed at Scheels the 2 types (Varmint and VMax ) Is one anymore frangible than the other ? New ?
Originally Posted by verns
Is this something new ? I mostly use Sierra if available but noticed at Scheels the 2 types (Varmint and VMax ) Is one anymore frangible than the other ? New ?

No, I believe one is a hollow point, while the other has the polymer tip. Both work very well. Generally the Vmax has a higher bc, if that is a concern.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Hornady Varmint -Vmax - 05/25/22
Hornady varmints are basic soft points, Vmax are a plastic tipped hollow point-more frangible. Their other offering is the SX- Super Explosive, which is VERY frangible.

This is a hog taken last week with a 55 gr Vmax in the ear hole out of a .222

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: verns Re: Hornady Varmint -Vmax - 05/25/22
Thanks,I bought a box of the 75 Gr for the Mini ,was surprised they did not keyhole at least at 100 yds.Trying to get settled on a load for coyotes in the thick timber .This rifle is everything everyone said it would be a CHALLENGE but I love it .
Posted By: ingwe Re: Hornady Varmint -Vmax - 05/25/22
Originally Posted by verns
Thanks,I bought a box of the 75 Gr for the Mini ,was surprised they did not keyhole at least at 100 yds.Trying to get settled on a load for coyotes in the thick timber .This rifle is everything everyone said it would be a CHALLENGE but I love it .

If you eventually have any trouble with the 75s, you do know you can kill coyotes with 55s, right? Even in thick timber....
Posted By: verns Re: Hornady Varmint -Vmax - 05/26/22
I thought I could miss em better and have a excuse . Always the chance that Lobo will show up . Though they do seem to have thinned out quite a bit .I did not see Lobo for the last 2 years .In the past I would see one a year on the average .
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Hornady Varmint -Vmax - 05/29/22
53 V max is where its at in the .224"

BC much higher than the 50 or 55's
Posted By: Potsy Re: Hornady Varmint -Vmax - 05/29/22
Keep quiet on the 53 V-Maxes. You can actually find them around here! Wicked little bullets.

That said, if I never thought I’d shoot past 200-250 yards again, Hornady 55 soft points are plenty accurate and hard on what they hit…..
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Hornady Varmint -Vmax - 05/29/22
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Pure sh*t, a 224 53 grain bullet that won’t stabilize in a 14 twist Swift or 22.250 5 shots each target.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

But a 53 Varmageddon puts 10 shots with no keyholes from the same rifles.

Posted By: Potsy Re: Hornady Varmint -Vmax - 05/29/22
Hornady does specify a 1:12 twist for the 53 V-Max, I’m running them in a 1:8” AR, not sure what a Mini is twisted at.
14” twists will have to stay in at recess. More for me!
Originally Posted by Potsy
Keep quiet on the 53 V-Maxes. You can actually find them around here! Wicked little bullets.

That said, if I never thought I’d shoot past 200-250 yards again, Hornady 55 soft points are plenty accurate and hard on what they hit…..

In my heavy 9T 223 AI the 53 V max is just getting warmed up at 300 yds..p/dogs downrange hate 'em

Another good 53 gr varmint bullet is the 53 g Varmegeddon...but flat base
In fact.here ya go.....free shipping over $49

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
Posted By: Seafire Re: Hornady Varmint -Vmax - 05/30/22
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Pure sh*t, a 224 53 grain bullet that won’t stabilize in a 14 twist Swift or 22.250 5 shots each target.

But a 53 Varmageddon puts 10 shots with no keyholes from the same rifles.

Swifty,

Can't state what is the difference in altitude, or atmospheric conditions....

but here in Southern Oregon, with 22.250s with 1 in 14 twists, with the 53 V Max or the 53 grain HP Match Hornady bullet, I am not experiencing the same results that you are.. I don't own a Swift....but I do have four 22.250s with one in 14 twists.. and one with a 1 in 7. Each of them are tight shooting groups, with the two Hornady bullets I mentioned.. right along with Sierras in 52 and 53 grain HP Match bullets.
© 24hourcampfire