Home
I guess you could download a .22-250 Rem, but wouldn't it be nice if someone made a .22 cartridge with long barrel life, specifically for short .308 length bolt actions?

A long narrow case would allow for more magazine capacity. Every bolt action maker could chamber for it without modifying their actions to suit the .223 Rem.

Would it sell?
Think you just described the .223
Originally Posted by Higginez

Yeah but the .223 isn't chambered in Winchester Model 70 CRF rifles for a reason.

Better a cartridge designed to cycle and feed in a short action big game rifle than kludging a tiny case into the role.

No?
? The .223 does not function in a CRF action?
Not sure what you're talking about?....

Ruger Hawkeye in .223 rem. It's a CRF action....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A .223 Rem is a short action... Plus, why does it need to be a CRF? You do realize any M-16/AR-15 action that has been in service since Vietnam to fight wars is a pushfeed, right?

To answer your question. Yes it would sell. Just like bolt action .223's sell. They are fairly popular.

Todd
Originally Posted by Higginez

That’s what I thought. It’s just about perfect. Need bigger, get a 22-250.
I can't figure out what the OP is looking for... I have several Winchester model 70s that are push feed, in 223... guess a barrel could be made for that chambered in a 222 Remington Mag, or a host of other cartridges..

If he is looking for a cartridge that will fit into a short action with a Model 70 CRF, or a Ruger 77 with CRF, with a .473 bolt face...
the world has a 22 BR chambering available ( even if one has to go the custom barrel route), or necking down to a 22 PPC, or the Grendel necked down to 22 caliber... I think that is commercially on the market, but I have no need for one, so I'm not all up on it...

Then Nosler has that little Valkyrie case its been pushing, on what ever other cartridge that is based off of... Federal chambers it besides Nosler...

I ended up with a couple hundred pieces of brass that are brand new, not used... that are made by Lapua, that are the Russian 7.62 x 39 necked down to 22 caliber, but they aren't head stamped 22 PPC...Ruger use to chamber that round in a Model 77 Varmint set up.. in both 22 cal and 6mm.

These are all smaller than a 22.250 if that is too big for what he is looking for....myself, I'd just tend to load a 22.250 down if I wanted less HP...
OP needs to track down a Kimber Montana.

Good luck!
Before the commercially produced 22-250, there was the Weatherby 224 magnum. It is a nice fit...

CRF short action for .223?

Find a CZ527 before the supply dries up.
Philthegyezer: I think the Remington Arms Corporation started making the Rifle you described in 1964 (58 years ago!)!
At least thats about when I bought one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Did I misunderstand your posting?
If I was going to do a 22 along these lines, the answer is something in the Soviet cases. 22 Grendel, 22 PPC? And if you want CRF, a 527. Or you could go with a Ruger American if they have Americans in whateverX39.
By the way, I also have a 22BR and like it, it would be fun to shorten a 98 action because it almost needs CRF with ejection Mauser style, not Rem style.
But a by 39 in a standard, OR a wildcat, is probably the most rational way to go.
Kimber Montana .223, Controlled round feed for charging coyotes...mine is very accurate too.
I shoot every chambering thus far cited and the 224Wby is easily the Biggest Piece Of Fhuqking Schit. That due both case design and the schit Weatherby action to boot. I shoot a "few" .224" chamberings. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

As CRF goes,I hear good thangs about a 8" RPM Montucky in 6BR. A 22BR could be arranged in like fashion,but all of mine are on 700's sipping outta AICS DBM's. Hint.

'Course a Montucky STEALS the fhuqking show in 223,223AI and 270 too. Hint.

I'm not a CRF Guy or begin to give a Flying Fhuqk about it,mainly because less IS more. Vudoos being THE exception. The 224 and 243 Grendels are fhuqking SENSATIONAL,whether in Turnbolt or Krunchenticker. A Carbon Mini 22 PPC Alaska Fhuqking Improved in 7" RPM,is a Giant Killer with 88's. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint...............
A quick 1000 words,if only because I shoot it all and then some. Hint.

If only as per always,bullets matter MOST. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
He's talking about a cartridge that fits a .473 bolt face yet gives .223 ballistics for those of you geniuses with comprehension shortcomings. Sheesh.
Joan,

I see you yet again "forgot" about your "heralded" Imaginary Pretend Ignore...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Not that your Brokedick Dumbfhuqktitude ain't fhuqking HILARIOUS. Hint.

Pardon a 22 and 243 BR being .473",as you feverishly GoogleFu your next Day Dreaming Delusion. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

This makes it a BIG Day for you,as now you can say you've "seen" one. Pardon the bore size stumping you and your Minimum Wage "means". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some,as you set astride your Couchbound Kchunt and rattle Pom-Pom's. Hint

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Stick,
The reason I would want CRF is extraction, not feeding. I've had issues with both the BR and Fireball extracting, basically the spring ejector parks the case sideways in the action ring unless you YANK the bolt back fast enough. I sort of like, in my leisurely way when I'm not defending a charge, being able to just grab the fired case off the bolt face without ejecting it.
I love that Blackheart can decipher that schidt sandwich like a pro!!!!
In fairness,don't slight Joan's Bumbling Brokedicktitude,as her net "worth" is farrrrrr less than a day's pay. Hint.

I reckon I've more than a dozen Grendel/BR's on Push Feeds and have yet to "note" and extraction "issue". That despite bolt velocity and I'm hard on schit. Hint.

My CRF's have NO "advantage" there and I prefer Push Feed simplicity,mainly because I fhuqking shoot it all and then some. Hint.

Just sayin'....................
The idea is to make a mild .223 cartridge that is ideally suited for a standard .308 length action, and isn't overbore either. It would be nice to have a milder .22 cartridge tailor-made to cycle and feed in a .308 length bolt action rifle. Something that wouldn't burn a barrel in 1500 rounds but still common as dirt in a Model 70 Featherweight.

Maybe given length requirements and case capacity, it isn't even possible. I might be asking a question with no valid point, but that's why it's a question. If there were a popular mild .223 case for .308 length actions, Winchester would already chamber it in the M70. And maybe that cartridge really is already, and has to be practically, the 22-250 Rem, especially if handloading is factored in?

I have owned Model 700 and Ruger Mark II in .223 Rem in the past. Also a CZ 527 which was truly a great rifle but the scope mounts, backward safety, and bolt handle compelled me to sell it on. Currently have a Kimber Pro Varmint in .223 Rem which seems like it might be the right answer for me. I like the CRF and the three position safety, as they matches my Model 70. And I put Warne bases on it so I can swap scopes easier.
Glad it works for you, Stick, not all of us are as talented as you, and we sure don't all have the same priorities.

Back to Phil,

223 almost by definition is a "mild" cartridge. If Joe Biden allowed me only one "hunting rifle," it would probably be a 223. Just an amazing, versatile platform, so easy to work with.
Honestly, 22-250 is on the snorty side already for me, my 22BR is probably as hot as I'd ever load for, it scoots and shoots. In its special, stubby way, it's been a good choice for me, so good that I'm interested in what lies "in between," meaning a .441 based along either PPC or Grendel lines.
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Back to Phil,

223 almost by definition is a "mild" cartridge. If Joe Biden allowed me only one "hunting rifle," it would probably be a 223. Just an amazing, versatile platform, so easy to work with.
Honestly, 22-250 is on the snorty side already for me, my 22BR is probably as hot as I'd ever load for, it scoots and shoots. In its special, stubby way, it's been a good choice for me, so good that I'm interested in what lies "in between," meaning a .441 based along either PPC or Grendel lines.

Agree. I've settled on the .223 Rem in that bracket as I can practice a lot with good barrel life. I just wish it would be chambered in the Model 70. I understand that they used to do a CRPF ultra short action for it, and FN even made a TSR bolt action in .223.

I had a Model 70 Varmint Laminate in .223 but it wouldn't feed or cycle worth a damn. Probably New Haven fit and finish though. When they have to make a whole new action type for it, you know it's going to either not work or be discontinued. Hence the wish for a .223 Rem equivalent tailor made for any 308 length action. The 700 and the Mark II seemed to work OK though.

I wonder how the old push feed M70 Featherweight XTRs fed and cycled...
IMO, prioritizing it being chambered in a M70 would be the least of my concerns. And that is from someone that has more Mod 70's than any other action.

If you want a CRF 223 M70, find a pre-64 that was rechambered to .222 and rechamber/rebarrel. They are out there. However, that it isn't going to be a 308 length action. Otherwise, Kimber is the next closest thing.

I went down the M70/223 rabbit hole a few years back. After owning a Stealth, Coyote, the above mentioned pre-64, and a couple others I slowly traded off everything but the Coyote and kicked myself for never getting a Kimber. I did punch the coyote out to 223ai.

Good luck
I read an article in the June issue of Handloader on the .224 Clark. Fits in short actions.
The 224 Clark is a 7x57 Mouser necked down,which mean 6mm Rem, 6mm Rem AI and 224 TTH case length,which is a short action Goat Fhuqk. Hint.

Pardon reality,being a priority. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
My copy of PO Ackleys book on wildcated rifle cartridges is at my sons place, but wouldn`t doubt what your after has already been done. Nothing much really new..if it`s a brass cartridge case, someone has modified it.
Look him up.
Originally Posted by Kurt52
Kimber Montana .223, Controlled round feed for charging coyotes...mine is very accurate too.

Agree. You absolutely need the rifle to feed and function when the gophers coordinate and start a flanking maneuver, or that porcupine skids into the dirt with those lethal spikes a few feet away from you.

I also like the CRF because I can control how hard/far the brass gets flung. Mostly I just want the same safeties and other ergonomics so handling gets to be second nature. Then my cheaper shooting translates to my .308 and .375H&H. So Kimber has me as long as they make an 84M in .223 Rem.

Though I did choose an Anschutz 1710 for rimfire and sold the 77/22, go figure. smile The accuracy and the trigger were the main reasons for that. Hard to shoot anything else after you make little one hole groups at 50 yards.
Vudoo CRF is all about ZERO bullet deformation and is simply a fhuqking marvel,due that and other reason(s). Hint.

I've a few 77 Rimfires/Horns/KHorns and a few Annie 54's too. Hint.

Just sayin'................
218 Mashburn Bee.

If you think push feeds don't have the ability to reliably extract a fired cartridge I have to wonder!
Whatever your think of, unless it is adopted by the military it will never become as popular as the 223. Just about everything that can be done to the .224 has been done, you want a short action .473 head diameter there is the 22 Benchrest and 22-250 and all its variations. Any cartridge with a .473 that will feed will need to be downloaded to match the 223 Rem, even the 22 BR is getting too short to feed reliably without some serious work.

CFR's are highly over rated. I've owned a gunshop and would test fire every rifle I took in trade and saw no advantage. All of my target an hunting rifles are push feeds an they work just fine. We've come a long way in 100+ yrs when the CFR was developed for bolt action rifles. We are no longer using powders that were notoriously unstable in heat(cordite and early smokeless), burn cleaner, more control in loading and the list goes on, on how reliable and consistent modern ammo is.
The 22 BR is hardly fhuqking "daunting",in regards to feed/function. Simply feed it ala AICS DBM's and you are there. Hint.

Even if it is a Fhuqking Krieger. Hint. LAUGHING!

Pardon wares that exist and my simply shooting it all and then some. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Originally Posted by philthygeezer
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Back to Phil,

Agree. I've settled on the .223 Rem in that bracket as I can practice a lot with good barrel life. I just wish it would be chambered in the Model 70. I understand that they used to do a CRPF ultra short action for it, and FN even made a TSR bolt action in .223.

I had a Model 70 Varmint Laminate in .223 but it wouldn't feed or cycle worth a damn. Probably New Haven fit and finish though. When they have to make a whole new action type for it, you know it's going to either not work or be discontinued. Hence the wish for a .223 Rem equivalent tailor made for any 308 length action. The 700 and the Mark II seemed to work OK though.

I wonder how the old push feed M70 Featherweight XTRs fed and cycled...
I had a push feed model 70 Featherweight .223 and it fed and cycled perfectly.
Joan,

My Model 70 XTR Featherweight 223 was THE biggest piece of fhuqking schit Factory Rifle I've ever owned(outta 100's and 100's),but mine actually existed...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

In fairness however,the 70 Heavy Varmints wearing S/S tubes in 223,were/are fairly Skookum,despite 9" RPM being too slow and a Push Feed. Hint.

Originally Posted by Blackheart
I had a push feed model 70 Featherweight .223 and it fed and cycled perfectly.

Good to know. One of those is still on the bucket list.

Originally Posted by Big Stick
Vudoo CRF is all about ZERO bullet deformation and is simply a fhuqking marvel,due that and other reason(s). Hint.

I've a few 77 Rimfires/Horns/KHorns and a few Annie 54's too. Hint.

Just sayin'................

I see the Vudoo doesn't fail to eject when it's not harming bullets. Looks like well made actions too. Annie 54's can be temperamental about ejection.

I like the GAP stock, but would forego the thumbhole as they don't generally fit me well.

Q: What scopes are those? Looking for a go-to offhand scope from 4-16 or 20 x 40ish with focus down to 15 or 20 yards, with decent adjustment range. Haven't found what I want other than a Sightron Big Sky that I like. Of course if I like something, then they stop making it.
Stock ergo's are subjective and MacaMillion crashing the Annie T-Hole Mould remains amongst THE Darkest Of Days. Annie "feed and function",remains the most HILARIOUS in the Industry. Hint.

You wouldn't like those scopes. 10yd parallax 42 Mil's of erector travel and they track/repeat/hold zero like no other. Hint.

Good to know. One of those is still on the bucket list.

one of those is NOT on my bucket list at all!

I've had one for 20 plus years.....and it shoots great...

paid $300 for it at a gun show, because the original owner was old and getting out of going out to shoot...

Said it only had about 300 rounds down the tube and it looked like it..

I've put a couple thousand down the barrel myself.. mainly Blue Dot, Unique or Alliant Steel loads...

actually more, because its averaged a couple thousand in several varmint seasons alone...mainly 40 grain V Max and/or Varmaggeddons..
Originally Posted by philthygeezer
Originally Posted by Kurt52

Agree. You absolutely need the rifle to feed and function when the gophers coordinate and start a flanking maneuver, or that porcupine skids into the dirt with those lethal spikes a few feet away from you.

I also like the CRF because I can control how hard/far the brass gets flung. Mostly I just want the same safeties and other ergonomics so handling gets to be second nature. Then my cheaper shooting translates to my .308 and .375H&H. So Kimber has me as long as they make an 84M in .223 Rem.

Though I did choose an Anschutz 1710 for rimfire and sold the 77/22, go figure. smile The accuracy and the trigger were the main reasons for that. Hard to shoot anything else after you make little one hole groups at 50 yards.

Another plus is if you need to put the round back in the magazine you don't have to fully eject it, just pull the bolt back far enough to push it back into the magazine.
Rickety,

You and Shefire should combine "forces" and align your Imaginations and Pretend,if only in "fairness"...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

It'll only come as a "surprise" to a "Hard Charging" Texan,that even via 700,you can simply wrap portside digits belly stock belly,wthdraw said chambered round and simply "snick" it back in the mag,less a Texas Juggling Act. Hint.

This makes it a VERY Big Day for you,because now even you "know". Your Velcro Sneakers making more sense than ever,given your "abilities". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................
Rickety,

You and Shefire should combine "forces" and align your Imaginations and Pretend,if only in "fairness"...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

It'll only come as a "surprise" to a "Hard Charging" Texan,that even via 700,you can simply wrap portside digits belly stock belly,wthdraw said chambered round and simply "snick" it back in the mag,less a Texas Juggling Act. Hint.

This makes it a VERY Big Day for you,because now even you "know". Your Velcro Sneakers making more sense than ever,given your "abilities". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

I see you've been hitting the Jim Beam again Stumpy. Its only 7 Pm on PoW Island and you're hitting the bottle.. which evidently you are out of Cocaine and Weed....I'll still give it to ya tho Stumpy... no one makes the most out of their last two working Brain Cells than you do....

for a lazy guy, NO ONE gives their jaws as much of a daily work out than you do....but I guess living alone.... its either on line on he campfire, or being out in the outhouse Choking your Chicken.. with thoughts of Fat Broads on your mind...

it ain't easy being Schtick is it?

when you wake up from sleeping it off... have yourself a good day Stumpy....even at no cost, you're still the best entertainment value on the entire www....
Shefire,

Did you Woke Brokedick Melting Snowflakes combine "powers" yet...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I'm VERY "surprised" that you picture me nekked,yet again,as your Man Crush is to your shaky core. Pardon wares that exist,as you conjure Delusional Fantasies. Hint.

Do not "forget",that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........
Stick: I saw that photo in the other thread. I was going to make a comment about preferring more thigh gap, but walked away and laughed privately. TFF!

Anyhow I came up zeros on what those scopes are. Please compensate for my poor googling with a gender reveal. Are they SWFA or something?

I ran a 64 MSR in offhand shoots for about a year. Love that silhouette configuration but I see MCM are not inletting it. Flat top only. :|
I don't picture you nekked Stumpy.....

I picture in your dirty, cum stained BVDs.. but not nekked..

I am sure you don't strut around that way, around the house trailer or the front yard...

even U could figure out having a thumb sized pekker is sort of an embarrassment, as those pair of marble sized nuts you have also...

I doubt even you are not dumb enough to be bragging about that...

it ain't being Schtick, is it?

but you keep batting there Stumpy... ya can't strike out, just sittin on the bench....
The 22 BR is hardly fhuqking "daunting",in regards to feed/function. Simply feed it ala AICS DBM's and you are there. Hint.

Even if it is a Fhuqking Krieger. Hint. LAUGHING!

Pardon wares that exist and my simply shooting it all and then some. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

I did a 9T 20 BR years ago in a Pac Nor barrel..

Ran 55 Bergers on p/dogs a short time

Just didn't trip my trigger

Barrel now is a 20-222....awesome cartridge on p/dogs

I put this together using my normal platform...s/shot Savage target action
© 24hourcampfire