Home
Posted By: shelton573 What primer for 6br? - 08/01/22
I am going to do some test loads with my 6br with 75 gr and 87 gr vmax for shooting prairie dogs. The two primers I have in hand are CCI 450 and BR4. What primer do you all prefer in your BR between the two? Thanks in advance!
Posted By: colodog Re: What primer for 6br? - 08/02/22
I usually shot the BR4 primers but as long as they were all the same I didn't have any problem and still don't.

I'm not shooting matches any more and I'm just using mine for varmints so I'm using the one I have the most of..
Posted By: shelton573 Re: What primer for 6br? - 08/02/22
Thanks for the reply. I have 1000 br4s on hand that I don’t use in anything. I will likely dedicate then to the br if it likes them and save the 450s for my 17 Rem.
Posted By: HawkI Re: What primer for 6br? - 08/02/22
Either one.

I generally use 450's or Rem. 7.5s. The "old school" Lapua cases and 30grs. ARComp and the 87 V-MAX.

Gradous built Stiller, 1-8 Brux. One-holer all day long; you can mix n match the BR4, 450 and Remington, it doesn't care, they'll still go in the same hole.

I'm not much of a 243 guy but that BR flat out shoots that load and wasn't even built for it.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: What primer for 6br? - 08/04/22
BR4 = CCI 450 with more QC = CCI 41. He 41 has a bit more clearance between cup and anvil and is a fully qualified primer for DOD. All three have the same primer mixture with the same charge weight.
Posted By: ERK Re: What primer for 6br? - 08/04/22
Just yesterday at a Scheels store the 450 was 90 dollars a thousand while the br4 were 140 per thousand. I’ve used both with good results. Edk
Posted By: tikkanut Re: What primer for 6br? - 08/04/22
In my 6BR days

Used Rem 7.5's.......Benchmark or H4895
I use the BR4 in all rifle cartridges using small primers except .223 for the AR and .30 Carbine for my M1. Both will work just fine.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: What primer for 6br? - 08/05/22
I used Federal 205Ms back in the day.
Posted By: pete53 Re: What primer for 6br? - 08/05/22
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I used Federal 205Ms back in the day.

THIS & i still do
Posted By: FC363 Re: What primer for 6br? - 08/05/22
Only 1 way to know for sure. Shoot both and see!
Posted By: ERK Re: What primer for 6br? - 08/05/22
I also use the Remington primers with the same results as the Br4. Edk
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: What primer for 6br? - 08/07/22
Shelton573: If you can find any please try the wonderful Federal 205M Match primers.
My full custom 6m/m Remington Benchrest is shooting extremely well with these, when shooting Nosler 55 grain Ballistic Tips and Euber 68 grainers.
Best of luck with your "6 BR"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: drop_point Re: What primer for 6br? - 08/24/22
Let your rifle tell you which to use. But BR-4 is always a good starting point.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: What primer for 6br? - 08/24/22
Originally Posted by shelton573
Thanks for the reply. I have 1000 br4s on hand that I don’t use in anything. I will likely dedicate then to the br if it likes them and save the 450s for my 17 Rem.

Why don't you shoot both and see which one works best????? I like to save my BR4's. There is also a price difference between the 2. For an example: In the same store, they had both: One was $85/1000 and the other $135/1,000. That right there would make the difference for me. I'm sure your rifle will like both, so it may be a "no brainer", especially if it is just for prarie dog hunting. If it was going to be for shooting a match, I'd run the BR4's. For the quarry being shot at and the price tag it really shouldn't even be a question. What's the BR stand for again? Hmmm, that's what I thought. If this rifle/cartridge can do this with CCI450's
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

410 yards:

392 yards:

320 yards:

.........your benchrest (BR) should be doing quite a bit better with them... You surely don't need the more expensive BR4's, but if you don't shoot competition with your rifle, it really doesn't matter which primer you use.
Posted By: MikeS Re: What primer for 6br? - 08/24/22
I have often wondered if BR4s and 450s were the same other than the QC procedures. I have noticed some average velocity difference between the two in side by side comparisons with 22 shot strings. Of course primers do vary lot to lot, so that could be the reason.

Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
BR4 = CCI 450 with more QC = CCI 41. He 41 has a bit more clearance between cup and anvil and is a fully qualified primer for DOD. All three have the same primer mixture with the same charge weight.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: What primer for 6br? - 08/24/22
With the primer shortage I tried small pistol primers in my 7BR and had excellent results
Posted By: Seafire Re: What primer for 6br? - 08/24/22
if you are like most folks nowadays... any working primers you can get your hands on...

and be prepared to bend over, when you make the purchase.
Posted By: shelton573 Re: What primer for 6br? - 08/24/22
Thanks for all the info folks. I think I’ll work with the br4 first. I have a brand new brick that I have never used in anything. I’ll only run about 200 rounds a year with this particular rifle so they will last me a while. I like to save the 450s for my 17 rem. I run a lot more rounds through it per trip. I’ll keep everyone posted.
Posted By: pdog06 Re: What primer for 6br? - 08/28/22
Pretty sure you will find out it shoots both of them well.
© 24hourcampfire