Home
I've just purchased my first .223 rifle. 1-8" twist, heavy barrel. I'd like to use it for targets, ground squirrels, and coyote shooting. I need to buy some bullets for it.

I shoot three .222 rifles and a .22 hornet but assume the little 40 grain Nosler BT & Hornady VMax bullets that I have on hand for those rifles are likely not a good match for the new .223's fast twist and higher velocity. What bullet do you recommend as a good all around choice for my new rifle?
EXACTLY what rifle is it? The 75 ELD is THE pick of the litter,in a 8" RPM 223,that has the COAL to accept same. Hint.

I'm in the process of loading a few hunnert of same,for a 20" S/S NIB CTR,ala Lapooey Virgins,400's,Lever' and magfed Smooches. Such things tend to arrange 2950fps MV,which don't suck and they do a rather nice job of greedily holding onto same,while fending atmospherics. Hint.............
Sako M85 Varmint HB/fluted. I should also mention I'd like to minimize wind drift, wind is constant challenge around here.
Was looking at the S/S version of same the other day,popped the mag out,measured it and you are schit out of fhuqking luck. They are Krunchenticker trite(shorter even than ASC's) and a Goat Fhuqk,so an easy pass,with no way to get out of it...despite the receiver length. The 75 ELD is no joy there. Hint.

They REALLY dropped the ball,on what could have been a sound platform. It takes RPM,COAL and Throat Geometry to connect dots by default. Shame. Hint................
A couple/few quick words on Mechanics and why they(RPM/COAL/Throat Geometry) control all. Hint.

Teeker S/S 20" 8" RPM 223 CTR here,if only fhuqking obviously. 75 ELD magfed Smooches(square) and there's room to chase lands,in issued OEM guise at 2.520"(this throat being longer than most). A beloved ASC,for comparison. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The Sucko 85's 8" 223 magbox I measured,was well shy of ASC COAL,as cited prior and pictured here. Though they are my FAVORITE Krunchenticker mag going,due their greater COAL than all others. Hint.

Flipside,being a ASC max COAL,in the 8" CTR's OEM magbox. Hint.

Mechanics ain't subjective and it never don't not pay dividends,to look before you leap. Hint.

Just sayin' and food for thunking.................
I never had the desired accuracy results shooting the 75 grain tipped bullets, but the Hornady 75gr BTHP shoot well at about 3000 fps. In both 1:8 and 1:9 twists for me. The Hornady 68's at 3100 are same. Both buck the wind very well, but the edge goes to the 75's. I don't have semi-custom rigs with aftermarket barrels, and frankly, I don't need them for my purposes. Certainly, if mag confines are an issue, the 75 BTHP is a fine choice.
KchuntShoot,

The AMAZINGLY long list of simplistic things you can't do,never ceases to AMAZE. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Don't dog pile me, but the 77 TMK is pretty good if you're stuck with AR mag confines. It kills like crazy but isn't the slickest out there. It is good enough for me to blast steel, deer, coyotes and whatever else I happen to wanna shoot. I stick with it since it all gets loaded on a Dillon and the only think I need to change is the charge weight from the AR to the CTR.
My Dillon would jump off the fhuqking bench,were I to treat it i sucha manner! Hint.(grin)

I cain't start pole vaulting .200"+ to the lands and shop in accordance,because NOTHING matters more than mechanics. Hint...............
Your 40's should work in a pinch. Worse case they may spin apart before hitting the target with the thinner vmax's having the most potential but I think they will be just fine. You aren't running them out of a 22-250 or creedmoor. They aren't the most ideal but I bet you get a little more action on living targets with them than before.

Your mag length isn't ideal as Stick pointed out but it isn't the end of the world. You might be able to tweak the magazine like some have done with Tikkas either filing out the front for more lateral room or if there is a spacer in the rear you can remove you might be in luck there. Otherwise you are stuck single loading or going with AR mag friendly rounds which there are a decent amount to choose from.

I would consider the Hornday 75 BHTP, or the 73 ELD or as mentioned the 77 TMK from Sierra. If you can get the RMR 69 grain or their new 75 grain which is similar to Horn's BTHP that would be a great economical option. I think Nosler has a 77 grain bullet to fit the AR mag confines as well.
Originally Posted by Big Stick
My Dillon would jump off the fhuqking bench,were I to treat it i sucha manner! Hint.(grin)

I cain't start pole vaulting .200"+ to the lands and shop in accordance,because NOTHING matters more than mechanics. Hint...............

Man, don't hate! grin
KchuntShoot,

The AMAZINGLY long list of simplistic things you can't do,never ceases to AMAZE. Hint.

I AM amazing. My wife and kids think so too. Hint. It's called "priorities." Hint hint. And I can do all the killing and such with the shiit guns I shoot. Wearing shiit optics. Shooting shiit bullets. [bleep] amazing. Hint hint hint.
Big Stick, perhaps I should ask you to type slower because I don't read very fast. I can't make sense of your posts. Perhaps my feeble comprehension skills and lack of worldly experience way out here in the "land of the little sticks" is a handicap. I can't make sense of your use of abbreviations, colloquialisms, and references to firearms I have no experience with or interest in. I'd like some clear advice, not "hints", profanity, and obscure references thanks.

Huntnshoot, Beretzs, and Partagas, thanks that was helpful. I'm not sure what "AR mag confines" means, but I expect my Sako doesn't accept bullets seated much longer than SAAMI spec max. length of 2.26" since the magazine has an internal dimension of 2.290"
castnblast,

"AR mag confines" usually means you cannot load longer than 2.260" unless you use something like ASC stainless magazines which allow a bit longer COL's. It makes a difference when loading the longer, sleeker bullets several guys have recommended. All of that doesn't apply to your rifle.

Don't assume the 40's you have on hand won't work in the 1-8 .223, the ones you've mentioned are plenty tough enough for vermin and normal target shooting. Don't believe the old caution about "overstabilization", it may have been real in the days of poor bullets, but these days it just ain't so.

If you want to shoot larger game and/or long range targets, the heavier bullets others have mentioned are certainly better.
The Baby CTR seems to do OK,with 75 ELD's,at their 2.520" square Smooch...if only minutes ago. Hint.

Just sayin'..................
Yeah, that don't suck a bit.

One of the best deals going on a 223 these days in my book. A pile of capability in that rig.
Bumped windage two tenth's,capped it,then set zero stop for it's 225yd zero. Shot come-ups to 1110yds,all jived nicely and I'll hand it and a few hunnert rounds of same to a visiting pard. Hint.

Then I'll show him the GOOD stuff. Hint.(grin)

Building Drop Chart now,as Whining Canucks Google madly! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
Bumped windage two tenth's,capped it,then set zero stop for it's 225yd zero. Shot come-ups to 1110yds,all jived nicely and I'll hand it and a few hunnert rounds of same to a visiting pard. Hint.

Then I'll show him the GOOD stuff. Hint.(grin)

Building Drop Chart now,as Whining Canucks Google madly! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

It is a blast. I would dare say it is one of my best fun guns. Next to a 22, grabbing handfuls of 5.56 and jamming mags has to make you smile or you're dead below the eyebrows.
It's everything the Sucko ain't. Hint................(grin)
The Baby CTR seems to do OK,with 75 ELD's,at their 2.520" square Smooch...if only minutes ago. Hint.

Just sayin'..................
I'm curious as to exactly what yellow marker you use on those ammo boxes there.
OP, it would be hard to beat a 69 gr Sierra Match King for that 1:8 twist rifle as an all-around bullet.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
OP, it would be hard to beat a 69 gr Sierra Match King for that 1:8 twist rifle as an all-around bullet.

I used the Sierra 69gr MK and the Sierra 77gr MK, the 77gr gets my vote
It's everything the Sucko ain't. Hint................(grin)

Anyway to open the Sako up? Not familiar with them.
The Sucko wears proprietary Dog Schit DBM,that crosses to nothing,leaving no "moves". One of many reasons,why it's prudent to look before one leaps,for folks who actually shoot. Hint...............
Got it. Never messed with the newer ones.

I’ve got a couple family pass downs in 222 and 222 Rem Mag.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Those are the only ones I’ve ever messed with.
That sucks because I like some of the rifles I’ve seen. I was looking at a nice feeling 243 the other day. It had the rail milled into the top pretty loaded up with features. I looked it up and it is a 1-10”. I like and have used many many 95gr nbts like them as much as anyone but I’m not buying or building high dollar rifles to shoot that bullet.
Very cool beretzs
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Very cool beretzs

Thanks buddy.

I wished I’d got more of the 6 CMs when Brownells was blowing them out for Christmas gifts. Even with the McM on it I was way under a 1000 bucks for a shooting Mofo done up real right.

I keep dragging my feet on the 22 CM build in hopes someone will make one. I had the bright idea of getting one of the Howa carbons in 308 or 7-08 and putting my Hawk 1-7 barrel onto it which hasn’t quite died in my head yet either.
I know the lineage well and prefer the Baby A1's over the magfed earlier version(s). Hint.

Never was a Deuce Guy,mainly because I've had lotsa them. Hint.(grin)

Sucko has struggled from inception,with RPM and COAL. I keep contemplating an A1 PPC,to yield yet another 22PPC AFI for 88's. Hint...............
Originally Posted by beretzs
Very cool beretzs

Thanks buddy.

I wished I’d got more of the 6 CMs when Brownells was blowing them out for Christmas gifts. Even with the McM on it I was way under a 1000 bucks for a shooting Mofo done up real right.

I keep dragging my feet on the 22 CM build in hopes someone will make one. I had the bright idea of getting one of the Howa carbons in 308 or 7-08 and putting my Hawk 1-7 barrel onto it which hasn’t quite died in my head yet either.

Me too. We should have got a fist full of them. My wife and I like the rifle a lot and our daughter can shoot it with no problems suppressed.

You have a good idea on the 22 rebarrel. I need to order a barrel to have waiting but my old 22-250AI just isn’t dead yet.
That 22 PPC on the Howa looks like a good one you did up. I swung that around a bit as well.

The Sakos are just fun guns for me. Once my lil man and my bigger lil guy want them and have a place for them, they can have em.
THE Carbon Queen,is a fhuqking PEACH. Hint.

I've had lotsa Sucko's and built more than a few Customs on them. Tough to not swoon a 1913 rail,if only for starters. Hint.................(grin)
Very cool beretzs

Thanks buddy.

Me too. We should have got a fist full of them. My wife and I like the rifle a lot and our daughter can shoot it with no problems suppressed.

You have a good idea on the 22 rebarrel. I need to order a barrel to have waiting but my old 22-250AI just isn’t dead yet.

I had the 22-250 1-8 Tikka. Just never totally loved it. The magazine catches on them we’re always getting sprung and there wasn’t a way to stiffen them up. I ended up rigger taping them since I had one fall out when it was on my back.

This was just before the first trip of searching for the mag. It got the tape after that.

I swear I didn’t hurt the old sled either whistle
THE Carbon Queen,is a fhuqking PEACH. Hint.

I've had lotsa Sucko's and built more than a few Customs on them. Tough to not swoon a 1913 rail,if only for starters. Hint.................(grin)

I see they’ve been getting some field time.
ALL Teeker mags excepting the CTR,are Dog Schit. Going AICS is an easy fix and vastly superior. I tend to trim mag latches and often re-spring same,because I like my mags where I left them,in the bottom of the receiver. Hint.(grin)

Multiple pards have mutherfhuqked my AICS Teeker,because they can't trip the latch...which likely ain't an "accident". Hint.

I'm an AICS Slut. Hint.............
Castandblast,

Son of gael answered your question on the ar mag confines. I just meant the short msg length of 2.26 or less which sounds like yours is when a little shorter. Not to big of a deal. The RMR bullets I referred to are Rocky mountain reloading which makes their own brand of the 69 and 75 bthp.

I would think most of those bullets made for the ar magazines would work as well as most of the weights falling in the 60s. I think the 53 grain vmax would also be a good one
ALL Teeker mags excepting the CTR,are Dog Schit. Going AICS is an easy fix and vastly superior. I tend to trim mag latches and often re-spring same,because I like my mags where I left them,in the bottom of the receiver. Hint.(grin)

Multiple pards have mutherfhuqked my AICS Teeker,because they can't trip the latch...which likely ain't an "accident". Hint.

I'm an AICS Slut. Hint.............

I didn’t learn AICS mags for them till after I sold em. Should’ve asked. Hell, knowing that now I could’ve had McM inlet for the damn things from the get go.
That is a Mountain Tac' unit,made to drop in a CTR inlet,which means it's a breeze to open up on a T3 Sporter. No thang. Hint.

Now as boolits go,the RMR 75's are junk,as per a halfa dozen of my Custom spouts. PN 3-groover was the "best" on the initial outing. Hint.

The RMR 69 is MUCH better. My Custom Krieger 22BR here and I tend to disfavor Krieger on the average. Hint.

As compared to the 69 SMK here. Hint.

The Canuckians be Re-Googlin' tonight. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........
Wonder how they did the 69 good and nosedived the 75’s?

Thanks for the heads up. I sold all of the Tikkas except the CTR but it’s good to have options.
I keep track of Lot numbers,in order to extrapolate,in the event that someone has wayyyyyyyyyy better "luck" than I did with halfa fhuqking dozen High Zoot Customs. Have yet to see it happen. Hint.(grin)

I'm certainly not a Tikka Guy,but in fairness,the CTR magazines are sound...even if th platform surrounding same,is plastic milk jug bullschit. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............
Originally Posted by castnblast
Sako M85 Varmint HB/fluted. I should also mention I'd like to minimize wind drift, wind is constant challenge around here.
Then you want to be shooting 75 ELDs or similar.
Wonder how they did the 69 good and nosedived the 75’s?

Thanks for the heads up. I sold all of the Tikkas except the CTR but it’s good to have options.
According to the owner of RMR, they are using their forming dies for the 69's to make the 75's. A test run. I didn't like the looks of them. Doesn't surprise me they aren't well-balanced.
Have a couple pards here on a R&D visit and my predictions are ringing true. Many months ago,I stated 223 excellence,via the 75 ELD,88 ELD and 90 Beer Can in particular. The boys whistled through 100rds of Lapooey Virgins,with 75 ELD's,400's,.003" constriction and a square CTR magfed Smooch. Hint.

I let them shoot their schit first(S/S Howie 257 Wby with 110 ELD Factory Fodder and CA 264 Kreed with 143 ELD X Factory). Neither had DOPE,so that was the first order of bidness. Graciously granting the prescribed velocity for same,schit soon got real. After initial zero,the Transonic Slip(s) were much closer than forecast by Factory values and aligned my prediction(s). At least they could connect a little something,to something,after THE Tutorial. Then I handed them my FC 243 Kreed with 110 Sugars and said "DOPE on stock is money" and turned them loose. Then all wanted same,for "some" reason?!? Hint. LAUGHING!

Last move was to unleash the Baby CTR and 75 ELD magfed square Smooches,with like "guidance",by stating "DOPE on stock is money". Minds were blown and checks were cut and awaiting EuroOptic resupply. I kept reiterating how same was yielded with wayyyyyyyyy less than 30grs of powder and heads kept shaking Hint.(grin)

Passed (9) Bucks yeasterday. It's on. Hint...................(grin)
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Then you want to be shooting 75 ELDs or similar.

I've got a Pac Nor barrel with a one in 7 twist, and also one in 22.250 with the same barrel... 24 inch, heavy mag contour...

when I've used them for a season, they scored using the old 80 grain A Maxes....that and the 75 BTHP Hornady were the most accurate and reached out there the furthest and the flattest ....and when the bullet connected, both would drop the deer on the spot...

Preferred those 80 grainer A Maxes....
Unfortunately,the Hornie 75 HPBT only has a .395 BC. The 80 'Max only a .473 and obviously G1's both. Hint.

The 75 ELD has a .467 BC and will obviously outpace both and easily,thus the impetus. Hint.

Perhaps dangle a picture,of any/all "Deer" "you" have "shot",with any of your cited Delusions. Hint.

7" RPM Mike Rock 223AI and 75 'Max here,if only for starters. Hint.

Said rifle "only" stabilizes/Smooches every projectile pictured here. Hint.

The Hornie 75gr HPBT,being "only" 9th,from far right of frame. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................
What is 7th from left ?
Hornie 70 GMX. Hint...............
So Stumpy.....

I know you are probably drunk as per usual, at least according to Hutch...

however, do you keep pics of every deer you shoot, every fish you catch, every string of bullets you make when stoned, every beer you drink, every joint you smoke, every crap you take to include the toilet paper after shots? Do you have a bigger fan than yourself? No one seems to think you are as great as you think as yourself.... HINT...

Asking for a friend.... smile
Shefire,

There's no need to correlate that you are a Lying Piece Of Clueless Schit,but it's FUNNY...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING,that you can't produce a single Buck. Hint................
castnblast - to get back to the point, try your 40's - I'll bet they shoot MUCH better than you expect.
Don't dog pile me, but the 77 TMK is pretty good if you're stuck with AR mag confines. It kills like crazy but isn't the slickest out there. It is good enough for me to blast steel, deer, coyotes and whatever else I happen to wanna shoot. I stick with it since it all gets loaded on a Dillon and the only think I need to change is the charge weight from the AR to the CTR.

The 77TMK is an excellent bullet. I just wish they were as available as the SMK. I can find those very easy at a decent deal, so that is what I keep buying. My new Tikka 22-250 likes them:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Shefire,

There's no need to correlate that you are a Lying Piece Of Clueless Schit,but it's FUNNY...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING,that you can't produce a single Buck. Hint................

Ya wanna see a BUCK Stumpy....

Look in your wallet, find a dollar bill.... take it out... lay down on the floor, face up this time...)not face down in DogSchitt when you're passed out),

Lay it over your cross eyed beady eye balls so you can focus on it...

there's a single buck... you want one of mine? drop your mailing address here and I'll send you 4 quarters..

they ought fo Fudk up your 2 brain cell mind...

hope your morning hang over isn't too rough on ya Stumpy.. Hutch emailed me the other day and said you were really screwed up until a couple hours after noon time... so he fed himself...took a nice T Bone Steak out of the freezer and broiled it.... then pissed in your cereal bowl and then put it back where you could find it.
Ok, so defying wind is one of the op's main requirements? No mention of him on how far he will be shooting these yotes and ground squirrels or targets.. Here goes: I shoot a schidt ton of the 69SMK's in my AR's and most of them have the 1 in 8 twist barrel, one has a 1 in 7. Lately I've been shooting them up in my 1 in 9 as well. I'll have to agree with trigernosis on this one, with that bullet choice. It's one competitors have been using for a long time, when shooting out to 600 yards. While I highly doubt the op is going to be shooting 1,100 yards, like some azz hats have suggested here, it may be a possibility. Probably pretty damn slim chances though. That's why I suggested the 77SMK pictured above, or the 77TMK that is like a unicorn right now. As for the 75 BTHP Hornady match. There are a whole lot better bullets out there boys. They fu cking suck donkey balls.. I've had way better luck with the 53 v-max and 73 ELD match, but to each their own. The 69's will punch sub 1" groups at 400 yards, are available (which is a huge bonus!!!!), as will the other bullets I am suggesting here. BTDT, so take that for what it's worth. Good luck to the OP. He may need a weed whacker to cut through all the bs in this thread..
The 75 Hornie HPBT is simply fhuqking sensational in consistency,accuracy,terminal effects and relative robustitude,as trips up feedramps go. Not to slight '17kchunt's Imagination and Pretend running rampant,as such things go. She's still trying to get 108's and "the like",going in her 6x45. Hint.

Pardon reality. Hint.

Thanks to all who wrote helpful replies. I am loading up some 69 gr. Sierra HP Match King bullets with Benchmark and CFE223 and we'll see how they do. Bullet selection is quite slim in our stores around here, so as an alternative I'll also try some Hornady 60 gr. V-Max. with the same powders. I never shoot past 400 yards, so from what I could glean from this thread I think I'll be happy with one of those loads.
Thanks to all who wrote helpful replies. I am loading up some 69 gr. Sierra HP Match King bullets with Benchmark and CFE223 and we'll see how they do. Bullet selection is quite slim in our stores around here, so as an alternative I'll also try some Hornady 60 gr. V-Max. with the same powders. I never shoot past 400 yards, so from what I could glean from this thread I think I'll be happy with one of those loads.

You will be very happy with that 69SMK at 400 yards. It's an excellent projectile that you never hear anything bad about. If that powder doesn't work out well, try RL15 or AR Comp (If you can find it).

According to Sierra:

".22 CALIBER 69 GR. HPBT MATCHKING

Designed for Service Rifle competition in the M16A2/AR-15A2, our 22 caliber bullets have set an incredible number of new national records."
The 69gr Sierras have a crap BC. I've certainly noticed the difference between those and the Hornady 68 and 75 BTHP. But I shoot a lot in heavy crosswinds at small vermin, and accounting for wind drift is a standard thing. Yeah, the Sierras shoot well, but not as well in the wind. I'd rather shoot the 53 gr V-Max, for about the same BC, and 300 fps faster.
The 69SMK is simply a steaming pile of fhuqking schit. It's 6th from far left,wearing a fhuqking HILARIOUS .301 BC. Hint.

Wind starts at the muzzle. So does velocity retention. BC is the SOLE factor,which skews same. Hint.

The 75 Hornie HPBT's BC is vastly fhuqking superior,less a great trade in velocity,due it being but a 6grs of gross mass shift. Fact is,the 75 Hornie flies well enough,to jive 308 trajectories to 1K. Hint.

Pardon facts. Hint.

As an aside,did '17kchunt's "abilities" allow her to get that 6x45 going with 108's and "the like"?!? HINT.

Fortunately for her,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even she can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
75 ELDM and TAC.

My Tikka Varmint shoots them very, very well.
© 24hourcampfire