Home
Posted By: Varmint2 .223 Savage Axis - 11/13/22
After having good luck with several Savage Trophy Hunter rifles in different calibers I brought home a preowned .223 Savage Axis from the pawn shop to put together for a varmint gun. The trigger had a heavier pull than I care for so I installed a trigger kit and put together some hand loads and headed to the back yard range. Knowing my lack of ability at the bench I am happy with the results.
I have taken a couple of coyotes with this combo so far.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: .223 Savage Axis - 11/13/22
Nice video and some good shooting. Thank you for sharing it.
Posted By: mag410 Re: .223 Savage Axis - 11/15/22
I bought a Axis .223 on a lark, Academy Sports had them for just a little over $200 after a rebate. Trigger was not good, but an hour or so of careful stoning ans spring clipping got the pull weight down to a solid and safe 3#. Chamber has a very long throat, me-thinks Savage chambers these guns with 5.56 reamers, since they know folks are going to shoot 5.56 in them anyway. First 10 3-shot groups with all the different factory 5.56/.223 loads I had on hand averaged .75". Federal 50 grain VT shoot amazingly well, wish I had bought more when PSA had them for $6/box. Shoots H335 & Hornady 50 gr SP very well also. Carry it most days when the dogs and I walk around my lake in case something needs shooting.
Posted By: Varmint2 Re: .223 Savage Axis - 11/16/22
I’ve been happy with how the Savages perform.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: .223 Savage Axis - 11/16/22
Each of my kids has one, and all three shoot better than my Ruger American. Half-inch groups for three shots are common.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: .223 Savage Axis - 11/16/22
Yup
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: .223 Savage Axis - 11/17/22
I'm glad that it works for you.

The Savage Axis are capable of shooting good groups, but I heartily dislike the stock ergs so much that I've been happy to trade some accuracy potential for a better fit and feel.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: .223 Savage Axis - 11/17/22
Varmint2: That is great shooting with a 4 power scope.
Keep up the good work.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: .223 Savage Axis - 11/17/22
Good video, thanks for posting.

60 gr V-Max with a max book load of Tac is another good load in mine. Not crazy about the Axis stock and was considering a Boyd's Classic but I'll probably leave it as is, hate to mess with something that shoots this good. The only thing I've changed on it was installing an M Carbo trigger spring. I've had a lot of 223s and never had one that shoots any better.
Posted By: ldholton Re: .223 Savage Axis - 11/18/22
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Each of my kids has one, and all three shoot better than my Ruger American. Half-inch groups for three shots are common.
you should probably go buy a lottery ticket...
Posted By: Quartermaster Re: .223 Savage Axis - 01/27/23
Nice job on the video. I enjoyed watching it. Those Savage axis rifles my be the best bang for your buck, as far as accuracy goes. I have worked up loads for a few people that had them and they always amaze me how well the do for an inexpensive rifle.
Good shooting! QM
Posted By: jamesh76 Re: .223 Savage Axis - 02/25/23
Great guns. I enjoy shooting mine. Just not a fan of the safety.
© 24hourcampfire