Home
Posted By: lanenebraska SOooo, Didja Know.... - 05/14/23
That CCI Magnum Small Pistol Primers weigh about 3.4 grains each? And that CCI Magnum Small RIFLE Primers weigh about 3.7
Yep, that's so.

Didja know that those darn primer boxes are both Blue, with Red letters sayin Magnum And they both have the number 50 on the boxes. One says 550 and the other says 450....Yep True that grin

Please don't ask me me how I know these things crazy whistle
Posted By: ingwe Re: SOooo, Didja Know.... - 05/14/23
Learned that the hard way,didja?
Sounds like you have the start of some Blue Dot loads.
Posted By: lanenebraska Re: SOooo, Didja Know.... - 05/14/23
Yep about 400 .223 all with SP primers.
crazy
Been reloading for 14 years. First time using Cci , recently purchased to shore up my primer stock.
Lesson learned smile
Posted By: Seafire Re: SOooo, Didja Know.... - 05/14/23
Originally Posted by lanenebraska
Yep about 400 .223 all with SP primers.
crazy
Been reloading for 14 years. First time using Cci , recently purchased to shore up my primer stock.
Lesson learned smile

depends on what your loads are and the pressures it will generate...

Under Obama's Debacle, I mean Administration, frequent all we could get around here were small pistol primers..

I shot a lot of them during those 7 plus years under Obummer... just kept my pressures low and they worked out fine.

Even under O'Biden, I was running loads all winter with the 223, 9 grains of Unique and 50, 52, 53 and 55 grain bullets, ringing steel at 300 and 400 yds with them...wear a pair of safety glasses just in case, but in a couple thousand rounds, didn't notice any problems, pierced primers etc. YMMV...
Posted By: J71248 Re: SOooo, Didja Know.... - 05/14/23
I would like to see the 19 dollar Wolf, Tula, or S&B again.
Posted By: lanenebraska Re: SOooo, Didja Know.... - 05/14/23
Thanks for the good suggestion Seafire.
I got plenty of Steel and 34g Dogtown bullets to fill those special cases. 👍
Posted By: mag410 Re: SOooo, Didja Know.... - 05/14/23
There is a Primer faq on the CMP forum that:

NOTE 1:** According to Speer/CCI Technical Services - Both the CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum and CCI 400 Small Rifle primers are identical in size.** Both primers use the same cup metal and share the same cup thickness.** Both primers use the same primer compound formula and same amount of primer compound.** They can be used interchangeably.

Primer FAQ
Posted By: Gaschekt Re: SOooo, Didja Know.... - 05/15/23
I wasn't immediately aware of the CCI 550 and CCI 400 compatibility. This is good to know. Had to run and check my primer stash on account of this. Sure enough have lots of CCI 550's
Posted By: lanenebraska Re: SOooo, Didja Know.... - 05/15/23
Thanks Mag410
This worked out great with some testing I did yesterday!
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: SOooo, Didja Know.... - 05/15/23
tag this
© 24hourcampfire