Home
Posted By: Chrome H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/12/10
Just loaded up some 223 loaded with some blue 45 grain XLC with H-322, its all I had.

How is it for speed ? I figure it should be accurate...
Posted By: RWE Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/12/10
I use it in my 222 rem, and backing the MV in based on drops recorded at various ranges, I was sporting approximately 3350.

Accuracy? I can't complain out to 300 yards on 4 shot groups.

Posted By: Big Stick Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/12/10
I can like it better than alotta stuff currently in vogue.................
Posted By: coythtr Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/12/10
I only use 322 or 335 in 223 w great accuracy.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/12/10
You boys are gonna talk me into '335 yet...............
Posted By: keith Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/12/10
322 is some good stuff, make no mistake about it
Posted By: Seafire Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/12/10
I hate H 335.. only powder I have had in a 223, that screwed up TWICE for me..25 grains of it with a 55 grain bullet.. a real bread and butter load... it also is about the best powder if you want to produce a big fireball at night...

now back to H 322... I use a charge of 25 grains of it in any bullet weight from 45 to 63 grains.... and it is super accurate..

If I was down to only being able to have several choices for a 223, H 322 would be there... same with the 22.250.. works real well in that cartridge also..
Posted By: Big Stick Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/13/10
That was funny.

Thanks!

Baby Boy under full recoil,ala 21" 223AI,scooting the 75A-Max at 3100fps+,via 26grs '335 in formed R/P hulls.

[Linked Image]

What other "nuggets" might you care to share?!!?.................
Posted By: Seafire Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/13/10
Laugh at it all ya want..

but H 335 caused KaBoombs twice in a Ruger 77...

with all the other powders available on the market...
plenty of alternatives exist..

and if you don't believe what a fireball it has... try shooting off a round in the dark...
Posted By: djb Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/13/10
322 shot well in my CZ 223 with 50g V-maxs and 53g Barnes (great) with mid level loads. Velocity was only 2900 once I chronied it.

I tried some mid-level RL15 loads and velocity is now 3200 with same/same accuracy.

H355 shoots well with good velocity in my 700 VLS but I did notice a dramatic shift in impact in cold vs warm temps. I just keep it zero'd for warm weather chuck hunting now.
Posted By: muzzleblast Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/13/10
a guy gave me two pounds of h322 for free and its all i load now in my 223's. my load of 24.5 grains with any 55gr bullet duplictes velocity and accuracy of monarch brand ammo that academy sells. i like it
Originally Posted by Seafire
Laugh at it all ya want..

but H 335 caused KaBoombs twice in a Ruger 77...

with all the other powders available on the market...
plenty of alternatives exist..

and if you don't believe what a fireball it has... try shooting off a round in the dark...

YOU caused the issue. I've shot over 150 pounds of '335,with nothing but a grin.

You are dumber than I thought and I was weighing it heavy.................
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/13/10
I share Seafire's distaste for H335. It fireballs, leaves a very stubborn fouling behind and pressure spikes badly in hot weather. A normal charge of it froze the bolt of my rifle and swaged a belt onto the 223 case. I haven't used it since.

H322 is very good in the 223. It doesn't produce the highest speeds but is extremely accurate. My pet load with it is 24.0 grains under a 50-gr bullet. I have had good luck with the Vmax, BT, Blitz and TNT. It gives 3000 fps in a 14" barrel, more in a longer one and shoots collar-button groups. One-patch cleaning, too.
You gals are on a roll. I've a couple/few 223AI's setting now with over 2k rounds of '335 through them,since they've seen a patch.

Groovin' on the "normal" charge welding your schitt shut too!

Have a few 223AI tubes that'll hang an honest inch at the 500yd line,if the wind cooperates. Shoot it in (10) barrels so chambered and am awaiting the first sign of "weirdness".

Though admittedly,I know my way around a rifle,which is more than a few legs up on your ilk....................
General rule for any newcomer here: Whatever Big Stick says, you may confidently believe the polar opposite. Think of him as the Nancy Pelosi of shooting. Only his screen name is true; he bludgeons any and all with his claimed superiority while in truth he has the abilities of...well, a stick.
Tell yourself that which you gotta believe,to salve how little you savvy.

I bat an uncanny connect percentage and I see that you've now 28,753 tries to find me mistaken.

GOOD luck on that!.......................
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
General rule for any newcomer here: Whatever Big Stick says, you may confidently believe the polar opposite. Think of him as the Nancy Pelosi of shooting. Only his screen name is true; he bludgeons any and all with his claimed superiority while in truth he has the abilities of...well, a stick.

Here you go Sugartits.

'335 fueled 50's at 3750fps,fightin' some wind and gunning in haste at the 515yd line.

RINK

Admittedly,I'm a whole bunch good with a rifle,if only to keep your false hopes in check.

Laffin'...................
Click on the user name, then click on Profile. Then, click on "Ignore this user."

Problem solved.
Only move you had,as you was well in over your head..............
Posted By: ColdBore Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/13/10
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Have a few 223AI tubes that'll hang an honest inch at the 500yd line,if the wind cooperates.

So we can expect to see you shooting one of these supertubes in your upcoming challenge against Burns?
Another.................

RINK
Let's try this again....

Care to answer, or are you just going to dodge and deflect, again?

Originally Posted by ColdBore
Have a few 223AI tubes that'll hang an honest inch at the 500yd line,if the wind cooperates.

So we can expect to see you shooting one of these supertubes in your upcoming challenge against Burns?
Allow your imagination to really flow and regale me with your "Challenge"...................
Allow your imagination to really flow and regale me with your "Challenge"...................

You REALLY want to have your hiding drug up and brought to the top again??

You REALLY want to act like you don't "recall" being challenged flat out by John Burns??

In the words of somebody semi-famous in their own mind:

Nice dodge. Only move you've got.

Poking your head in the sand,given your "knowledge" and "experience" ias equally as funny.

Juke, jive, avoid, try to sucker and draw it away from the direct question at hand. Vintage. Admittedly, you have had LOTS of practice at that at least.

Laffin... (yes, AT you...)...............

Hint..............

Grins................

whistle
Posted By: WTM45 Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/13/10
Challenge?

Who gives a schitt.
Tough to keep track of the bullschitt falling from Burns' lips and your imagination both.

She was stumped with erector values,last I saw.................

Sounded like the "custom" ones that were made for him to match specific loads were his area of expertise. HA!

Might as well slap M3's on, and shoot for hits anywhere on a 60" plate...
Assuming M3's less an MOA scale and straight BDC.................(grin)
And when he runs out of elevation, just peer over the scope and line up the top of the erector cap. Easy to 1500y!
HA!
Tough to keep track of the bullschitt falling from Burns' lips and your imagination both.

Another nice dodge. whistle

So, let me ask direct, one more time...

Do you remember being challenged to a direct shoot-off by Burns?

Would you like him to chime in and remind you? (Oh, THAT would be embarrassing.....).

Are you going to accept?

No need to dance and shake, or any eloquent waxing, or answering about anything else.

Even in your mind, you must understand the simplicity of "yes" or "no", right?

Accept his challenge or not?
Fingers crossed that she wants to talk about anything,if only because it never ain't not funny.

Clap your hands and hopefully she'll come running,if only to step on her tongue.

Laffin'...............
Originally Posted by WTM45
And when he runs out of elevation, just peer over the scope and line up the top of the erector cap. Easy to 1500y!
HA!

Prolly "meticulously" files a V-notch at the stop's 12 O'clock,as the peer aligner....................(grin)
Programmed EDM only, for the "custom" touch!
"Proprietary" V-notch to boot..................
Now THAT explains the sticker price.
Where do I send the check?
To La-La Land................

Another nice dodge. whistle

So, let me ask direct, one more time...

Do you remember being challenged to a direct shoot-off by Burns?

Would you like him to chime in and remind you? (Oh, THAT would be embarrassing.....).

Are you going to accept?

No need to dance and shake, or any eloquent waxing, or answering about anything else.

Even in your mind, you must understand the simplicity of "yes" or "no", right?

Accept his challenge or not?

Do I need to piss on a rock,so she can smell it?................
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/13/10

Nibble Nibble says the Lil Fish.

Took you a few weeks to screw your courage up after the last time I sent you packin.

Your video is quite amusing. Missed with every shot.

Here�s how the big boys do it. At twice the range and on game.

Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/13/10
A G N T S A.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/14/10
Pissing on a rock,never don't whelp a bitches curiousity.

Gotta grub,but I enjoy her stupidity................
Posted By: Tonk Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/14/10
John that was quiet a shot on Mr. Song Dog! I am impressed you bet and you made it look easy enough for even a guy like Big Stick to take part in the fun. Enjoyed the shooting video and the snow you were laying on.
Posted By: Seafire Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/14/10
You gals are on a roll. I've a couple/few 223AI's setting now with over 2k rounds of '335 through them,since they've seen a patch.

Have a few 223AI tubes that'll hang an honest inch at the 500yd line,if the wind cooperates. Shoot it in (10) barrels so chambered and am awaiting the first sign of "weirdness".

Though admittedly,I know my way around a rifle,which is more than a few legs up on your ilk....................

Ya know, I am glad you have good luck with it..

but just because someone else doesn't experience the exact same results as you do, how do you figure it is productive all of a sudden slandering them?

I'm not knocking you for having good results with it.. so why do you have to knock me for having bad results, and picking something else?

I am not going to waste either of our time, getting into a pissing contest here..

I read your posts, and have enjoyed some of them.. I have never looked down negatively at you..

as "dumb" as you may think I suddenly am, because my experiences vary from yours.... well there are enough respected members here that know otherwise.. first hand. Not hypothesizing from Nowhere Alaska..

I know this may be a culture shock to you.. but folks OUTSIDE of Paradise Alaska city limits, are capable of being just as intelligent as folks INSIDE Paradise AK's city limits..
Posted By: ColdBore Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/14/10

If I buy a copy, will you autograph is for me?

Book
Posted By: p5200 Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/14/10
Anyone have much luck with the H322 and the .204 caliber? I've been using Benchmark and Varget. smile

If I buy a copy, will you autograph is for me?

Book

I've often entertained a Book and it'd likely be Titled "In YOUR Wildest Dreams".

Poignant,ain't it...............
204 and H 322..

Yup, great luck....

just tested some the other day, behind a 26 grain Barnes HP..
3 shots gave me about a 6mm hole at 100 yds..

figured that would work come varmint season..

I've often entertained a Book and it'd likely be Titled "In YOUR Wildest Dreams".

Poignant,ain't it............... [/quote]

We can see that YOU are YOUR biggest fan....

what's greater... your 'experience' or your Ego?

my money is on the EGO..
I'm rather modest,given the experience................
She'll do 1" at 500,in nice conditions................

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Shadow Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/14/10
Stick,

Is that a A-2 you got that truck axle bolted into?

Bob
A2. Barrel ain't nearly as heavy as it looks.

[Linked Image]

Though it's a CH bow heavy anyways..................(grin)
Posted By: ColdBore Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/14/10
She'll do 1" at 500,in nice conditions................

So THAT'S the one you're going to use in your upcoming shoot off???

Or a different one of your "inch at 500 yards" rigs??
You Day Dreamers crack me up................
To satiate more of ColdBore's Dreams.

'335 burners,all and a couple shoot fair to middlin'...............(grin)

[Linked Image]

Posted By: RockyRaab Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/14/10
Coldbore,

Your "Artful Dodger" book autograph request is brilliant. ROFLMAO here.
Posted By: boomtube Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/14/10
"what's greater... your 'experience' or your Ego?"

I wonder too.

Some guys have 20 years of experience.
Some guys have 6 months of experience they've repeated 40 times.

Some folks have something to say.
Some folks just have to say something.

Any guy getting 1" groups at 500 yards "in nice conditions" should be in BR competitions, he could easily blow the competition away at a measily 100 and 200 yards! (IF he could actually do that, even on a really GOOD day! wink )

I find that usually the BEST of the BEST are actually pretty Modest.

I love to hear folks share their experience and expertise, if they manage to do so in the spirit of the forum instead of it just being a vehicle to brag a lot..

The "Experienced" impress others by what they pass on to others.. not taunt everyone with " I'm WAY BETTER than any of you guys will ever be.."

And owning a bunch of spendy trendy rigs, doesn't make one an expert...

If Big STICK is as good as he claims.. then more power to him, and my hat's off to him in respect..

And I am interest in any words he'd have to say to the group..
but it boils down to how he says them...

showing pictures of a lot of guns or claiming to have burnt 150 or 1500 pounds of one type of powder, doesn't spell experience..

If someone can shoot 1 inch groups at 500 yds, well I have to see it... or hear it from a neutral party observing it..

heck with no credible witnesses, we all can shoot one inch groups at 500 yds... have a few more beers, and they can shoot 1/2 groups at a 1000...

kind of reminds me of watching three guys try to give advise on women to one of their young friends who was having problems with his girlfriend... I really had to laugh when one guy stood up and bragged the other guys knew nothing about women.. this guy knew it all about women.. he'd been married three times!

it passed threw my mind: You guys don't know a thing about driving cars... I have totaled THREE CARS..I can tell you all you want to know about driving cars!!!...

Kinda reminds me of Big Stick's Modesty here...
Posted By: JBLEDSOE Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/14/10

Do we have a new "Varmint Guy" on this forum, now?

Posted By: EddyBo Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/14/10

I love to hear folks share their experience and expertise, if they manage to do so in the spirit of the forum instead of it just being a vehicle to brag a lot..

The "Experienced" impress others by what they pass on to others.. not taunt everyone with " I'm WAY BETTER than any of you guys will ever be.."

If Big STICK is as good as he claims.. then more power to him, and my hat's off to him in respect..

showing pictures of a lot of guns or claiming to have burnt 150 or 1500 pounds of one type of powder, doesn't spell experience..

If someone can shoot 1 inch groups at 500 yds, well I have to see it... or hear it from a neutral party observing it..

heck with no credible witnesses, we all can shoot one inch groups at 500 yds... have a few more beers, and they can shoot 1/2 groups at a 1000...

kind of reminds me of watching three guys try to give advise on women to one of their young friends who was having problems with his girlfriend... I really had to laugh when one guy stood up and bragged the other guys knew nothing about women.. this guy knew it all about women.. he'd been married three times!

it passed threw my mind: You guys don't know a thing about driving cars... I have totaled THREE CARS..I can tell you all you want to know about driving cars!!!...

One inch 3 shot groups are very doable. I do not know how often stick can bunch em up that tight. I have shot and seen others shoot numerous 600 yard 5 shot groups in the .900 ish ctc groups shooting f class. Only problem is we are not shooting for groups, just score. You just put the pasters closer together and repair the spotter more often. I hate it when they bust the spindles that hold the spotters. Not only does it rip a huge hole in the target but it can get dangerous.....always wear you eye protection in the pits. The best 600 yard 3 shot group I ever saw was .470 ish ctc, but it was shot by a guy who is very accomplished. My best 3 shot 600 yard group measured very near to .78. Strangely my smallest 800 yard 3 shot group measure very close to my smallest 600 yard group, but it was just an anomaly.
Posted By: dodgefan Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/14/10
I was pulling targets at an F/Class team match I don't remember who the shooters were, but Mid Tompkins was the coach calling winds and his shooters were shooting the heck out of the spotting disk they hit the spindle a couple of times at 900 IIRC.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/15/10
Coldbore,

Your "Artful Dodger" book autograph request is brilliant. ROFLMAO here.

Not nearly as funny as you punting.................
Originally Posted by EddyBo

One inch 3 shot groups are very doable. I do not know how often stick can bunch em up that tight. I have shot and seen others shoot numerous 600 yard 5 shot groups in the .900 ish ctc groups shooting f class. Only problem is we are not shooting for groups, just score. You just put the pasters closer together and repair the spotter more often. I hate it when they bust the spindles that hold the spotters. Not only does it rip a huge hole in the target but it can get dangerous.....always wear you eye protection in the pits. The best 600 yard 3 shot group I ever saw was .470 ish ctc, but it was shot by a guy who is very accomplished. My best 3 shot 600 yard group measured very near to .78. Strangely my smallest 800 yard 3 shot group measure very close to my smallest 600 yard group, but it was just an anomaly.

It is a fair correlation,to denote that great wares,are reliably capable of great results. They only folks who think shooting is "hard",is folks that don't shoot.

Typical outing..................

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Seafire Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/15/10

One inch 3 shot groups are very doable. I do not know how often stick can bunch em up that tight. I have shot and seen others shoot numerous 600 yard 5 shot groups in the .900 ish ctc groups shooting f class. Only problem is we are not shooting for groups, just score. You just put the pasters closer together and repair the spotter more often. I hate it when they bust the spindles that hold the spotters. Not only does it rip a huge hole in the target but it can get dangerous.....always wear you eye protection in the pits. The best 600 yard 3 shot group I ever saw was .470 ish ctc, but it was shot by a guy who is very accomplished. My best 3 shot 600 yard group measured very near to .78. Strangely my smallest 800 yard 3 shot group measure very close to my smallest 600 yard group, but it was just an anomaly. [/quote]

It is a fair correlation,to denote that great wares,are reliably capable of great results. They only folks who think shooting is "hard",is folks that don't shoot.

Typical outing..................

[Linked Image] [/quote]

Ya forgot your favorite Ralphie:

[Linked Image]
There's Red Ryders and RWS's at the house,as well as a Chickmunks too.

Though in fairness,I don't suffer too many empty slots in the larder..................
Posted By: Seafire Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/15/10
*** You are ignoring this user ***

Modern technology is great, isn't it?
You are a victim of both your "intellect" and "experience" and only you,can prevent you...from saying something stupid.

I can only getcha to the water.................
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/16/10
Hey Seafire that really works.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/16/10
Dangwheresmypopcorn.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/16/10
Them that don't/can't,reliably punt.

Don't take much popcorn for that fruition to realize,though I getta kick outta the gals trying to imagine their first [bleep] clue...................
Posted By: Chrome Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/16/10
Don't mean to change the subject, I sighted in my .223 SPS Tactical today with the 45 grain blue XLT backed by H-322.

I'm getting 3,340 fps out of the 20" barrel and I only had time to shoot a couple of groups. It averaged .5" at 100 yds.

Went hunting this evening and shot a fat little doe in the upper brisket at 75 yards.

I've got her hanging tonight and will cut her up in the morning, hoping I can find the bullet.....
Posted By: Seafire Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/16/10
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Hey Seafire that really works.

Yeah real well..

on every one of his posts, all I see is:

You are ignoring this pompous selfcentered butthead user.

What a refreshing concept...

Besides, Big Stick doesn't need any of us... he is the biggest Rambo on the internet... he's the world's greatest.. and keeps reminding us all of that, in ALL of his posts...

I meet enough knowITalls locally, I don't need to know of another one from Alaska of all places...

I bet he constantly wonders how we all gone along in life without him...
Admittedly,I'm more than a whole bunch good...but you already knowed that.

You is in well over your head,not that it takes much to get you there..................
Posted By: Dew Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/16/10
Having access to a 500 yard range myself, I find some of these "one inch" groups at 500 yards shear folly.
You are stuck with your abilities,equipment and "experience"...none of which is a balmy forecast.

Hoping you are dumb enough to expound.................

You are ignoring this pompous selfcentered butthead user above.
grin
You are dreaming.

Again................

You are ignoring this pompous selfcentered butthead user above.
grin

Still....... grin
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/16/10
It's morning in Alaska; time for another 16 hours of continuous bombast, bullying and BS.

Of all the great things about this board, IGNORE is among the very finest.
Few things funnier,than those most in need,poking their heads in the sand.

Lovin' it!...............
Posted By: stillbeeman Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/16/10
I don't see how you can take offense at what BS (we know what that is)says. More than half of it is in some sort of home made jargon that I can't understand. Of course, this means I'm stupid rather than he can't speak english. smile
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/16/10
It isn't that I take offense, it's that Mr Woodie goes out of his way to deliberately be offensive. I learned on the playground that people like that are pathetic losers who cover up their failures with bravado and stridency. B and S just seem to fit, don't they?
Posted By: TexasTBag Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/16/10
For the OP.

I don't have my data book handy but H322 is my current fav in my AR-15 setup for the local CMP "style" shoots.

I can't remember the speeds or loads but I'm shooting the Hornaday 68gr match. The H322 works wonderfuly and the best part is my powder thrower loves it. Very accurate and repeatable, in fact once I have a good base line going, I don't even weigh my competition loads. Miles better than Varget or anything else I tried.

It isn't that I take offense, it's that Mr Woodie goes out of his way to deliberately be offensive. I learned on the playground that people like that are pathetic losers who cover up their failures with bravado and stridency. B and S just seem to fit, don't they?

a Big 10-4 on that one....

Belittling and degrading everyone around... so they can feel better about themselves..

and the more they do it, the less they think everyone can see thru it..

little do they know that the exact opposite is occurring..

sad they can't learn being a blowhard only impresses themselves and a few other losers who suffer from the same inferiority complex..

reminds me a lot of shortman complex... of course you don't have to be short, to have some version of it..

maybe someone will learn the difference between sharing what they know with others, and just being a braggard..
Originally Posted by TexasTBag
For the OP.

I don't have my data book handy but H322 is my current fav in my AR-15 setup for the local CMP "style" shoots.

I can't remember the speeds or loads but I'm shooting the Hornaday 68gr match. The H322 works wonderfuly and the best part is my powder thrower loves it. Very accurate and repeatable, in fact once I have a good base line going, I don't even weigh my competition loads. Miles better than Varget or anything else I tried.

I don't know if "better" than Varget, but it sure is a darn good powder for accuracy in the 22.250 and the 223, thats for darn sure.

Do you find that the accuracy in it increases with higher charge weights? I admit to going over book max with some of the bullet weights, but the groups get smaller.. in multiple bolt action 223s...
You are dreaming.

Again................

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: TexasTBag Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/16/10
[quote=TexasTBag]For the OP.

I don't know if "better" than Varget, but it sure is a darn good powder for accuracy in the 22.250 and the 223, thats for darn sure.

Do you find that the accuracy in it increases with higher charge weights? I admit to going over book max with some of the bullet weights, but the groups get smaller.. in multiple bolt action 223s...

Its at least better in my application than Varget. I don't have my data book on me and the last time I worked on different loads for my AR was eons ago. I also load TAC and I would say that is better than Varget as well.

Varget just shot OK but it didn't meter consitently for me and I'll admit, I'm lazy and I like to throw must of my charges these days.

I think it was under max load, I want to say 22gr of H322 produced the best accuracy.

Posted By: Big Stick Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/17/10
You'll do no better than '15 in the 22-250.

I throw everything................
Posted By: jimbobfunny Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/27/10
H322 was originally based on military IMR 8208 powder. Most of you know how good a reputation that powder had. The commercial version of H322 is still very close to the original 8208. I have not yet tested the new 8208 XBR to see how close it is to the original 8208 or H322 (but I here it is slightly different).

In any case, I don't think there are many powders that would beat it by much of a margin in any of the common 22 caliber cartridges.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/27/10
Seafire & RockyRaab: Seafire, Seafire, Seafire.... RockyRaab, RockyRaab, RockyRaab..... aaaagggghhhh!
My head is spinning around like the scene from the movie "Exorcist"!
You two recommend the use of inherently dangerous squib loads in Rifles using powders that the MANUFACTURERS do NOT recommend and NOW you state that a powder that the MANUFACTURER does recommend, is somehow unsafe!
What are you two thinking?
Where are your heads at?
I have quadruple checked and H 335 is a safe and recommended powder for 223's!
I know a small army of 223 shooters who use H 335 and have done so for decades.
In addition "I" have used it for decades in a LARGE number of 223's and I have as yet to notice any detrimental (let alone unsafe!) aspect of its use.
I currently own and am reloading for and shooting 11 (eleven) firearms in caliber 223 Remington. Of those 11 (eleven) firearms 6 (six) of them PREFER H 335 powder (for top accuracy).
I checked just some of my reloading manuals by Hodgdon, Nosler, Speer, Sierra, Hornady, Ken Waters and P.O. Ackley and they ALL publish/recommend using H 335 in the 223 Remington.
I am simply at a loss to explain/give creedence to your contentions.
Perhaps I am missing something - do you guys HOT LOAD your 223's with the H 335 powder to begin with, THEN on an extremely hot day after leaving your ammo cooking in the sun have you experienced your H 335 troubles?
I again have been using H 335 in the 223 Remington very successfully now for going on 47 years.
Maybe this quote from Hodgdon's Data Manual Number 26, First Printing 1992, page #11 regarding H 335 powder will sway your contentions?

Quote: "H 335 - This powder is what the military uses for loading the 223 or 5.56 NATO. Bruce and J. B. Hodgdon find it to be their powder of choice for their 222 and 223 prairie dog guns. One of these guns is J.B.'s custom XP100 in 223 that shoots one hole groups with this powder."

Hmmm.... the military, both the Hodgdons, Ken Waters, P.O. Ackley, Nosler, Hornady, Speer, Nosler and certainly countless others recommend H 335 powder for the 223 Remington and you two condemn it - yet condone and profess the use of "squib loads" in Rifles?
The Hodgdon folks recommend H 335 powder for bullets weighing FROM 35 grains TO 80 grains in the 223 Remington - so I would deduce that the H 335 powder is "well suited" for just about ANY bullet in the 223.
Again my head is spinning simply trying to figure where you two are coming from.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posted By: Ackman Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/28/10
A whole bunch of powders work fine in the 223. The H322 I used was called T-32, actually a little faster lot but essentially the same stuff. It shot really well with 50's in 3 different rifles but wasn't particularly fast. After several years I started using AA2015 which gives much better velocity with 40's and 50's, and even better accuracy in my rifles. But VV133 is even faster and more accurate.....again, that's in my rifles.
Posted By: Seafire Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/28/10
Well VG...

I've posted a zillion times, that I think it is hard to find a powder that DOESN"T work well in the 223, than one that is better.

All I know, is I have two rounds blow the gun up, and the charge was a real bread and butter 223 load... 25 grains of H335 with a 55 grain bullet...

First time, I was surprised... second time, I just said, I don't need to use it again, with all the alternatives out there...

my "squibb" loads, as you call them, have never ever blown up any one of my rifles...and have worked just fine for thousands upon thousands of rounds..

H 335 does work well for many folks.. but after the same load,( from different lot numbers) screwed up an action twice... I can easily look at a couple zillion alternatives and never have to look back.

Not knocking anyone who is using it...just my experiences made me decide to use anything but H 335 anymore..
Posted By: ingwe Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/28/10
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

My head is spinning around like the scene from the movie "Exorcist"!

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Of this...I have no doubt....
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/28/10
That's great for a sig line..
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/28/10
Seafire: You are avoiding my central point and that is OK in a way, BUT, let me ask YOU directly - how can you recommend loads that even the powder manufacturers won't recommend and then turn around and denounce loads that the manufacturer, the military and virtually every reloading manual does recommend?
Are you saying everyone should throw away their loading manuals and strike off into the unknown and make up loads on our own?
I think that direction is/would be dangerous and irresponsible.
It is my prayer for the New Year that you quit the foolish and dangerous practice of handloading unrecommended squib loads in your Rifles - and I pray that if you continue this foolish and senseless practice that you do not hurt yourself or someone shooting alongside you!
Its simply dangerous and senseless.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: ingwe Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/28/10

It is my prayer for the New Year that you quit the foolish and dangerous practice of handloading ....
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

This is some good schitt......

You can't make this stuff up! laugh

Prayers sent Seafire.... grin
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/28/10
VG:
You're wrong about any of the loads in question being "squib" loads. They have plenty of poop and move right smartly out of the end of the barrel, with good effect at the target -- actually, accuracy of the first order.
And I will further back the decision not to use 335. Yes, it meters fine, yes it shoots fine, but I have had my own "mysteries" with it and trust it less than, say, H4895. But that's a personal opinion.
Other than that, lots of good information here. I have to laugh at how underrated 322 happens to be. It's a fine, smooth-metering powder that should be in every 22 shooters powder stash.
Posted By: Ackman Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/28/10
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
VG:
You're wrong about any of the loads in question being "squib" loads. They have plenty of poop and move right smartly out of the end of the barrel, with good effect at the target -- actually, accuracy of the first order.
And I will further back the decision not to use 335. Yes, it meters fine, yes it shoots fine, but I have had my own "mysteries" with it and trust it less than, say, H4895. But that's a personal opinion.
Other than that, lots of good information here. I have to laugh at how underrated 322 happens to be. It's a fine, smooth-metering powder that should be in every 22 shooters powder stash.

I've also had some strange pressure things happen with 335. Lot to lot variation and temp. sensitivity made me stop using it in a 17MachIV a long time ago. I've used it a little in a .223 and it worked ok, but still I don't trust it. Doesn't matter, there's other stuff that works just as well or better.

One friend on here spent a lot of time with blue dot in the 223. Although VG would call them "squib" loads, they're anything but.....VG is much too enamored with the sound of his own keyboard.
Posted By: Calif. Hunter Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/28/10
I have shot way more H-335 than anything else in my .223s. I have recently been playing with H-322, which has worked well, X-Terminator, whixch has also worked well and TAC. So far, though, while coming close, nothing has worked better than H-335 for speed and accuracy. W-748 can be as accurate, but velocities lower with most bullet weights that I use.
Posted By: Seafire Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/29/10
Seafire: You are avoiding my central point and that is OK in a way, BUT, let me ask YOU directly - how can you recommend loads that even the powder manufacturers won't recommend and then turn around and denounce loads that the manufacturer, the military and virtually every reloading manual does recommend?Because I have found loads that work quite well for me, and others have found the same thing, and as far as not wanting to use loads or a powder that Uncle Sam, and load manuals, etc have used...we'll have two kabooms that cased an action to need repair and a stock to be extensively repaired... I'd say that was reason enough to steer clear on it...

Are you saying everyone should throw away their loading manuals and strike off into the unknown and make up loads on our own? Not saying that at all.. Its everyone's personal choice and the results are their personal responsibility. if the individual needs someone to blame when he screws up, then strict adherence to ONLY what is in a load manual is probably a safer route. Not that I am in their league, but guys like Elmer Keith, Jack O'Connor nor Townsend Whelen didn't gain fame by adhering to what was in the latest Nosler, Hornady, Hodgdon, Sierra, etc manual. They branched out, reported what they thought other shooters might be interested in.. we share ideas together on this forum.. some may work for each of us personally and some may not. I personally use what works for me after developing and working up a load, for a particular use.

I think that direction is/would be dangerous and irresponsible.
It is my prayer for the New Year that you quit the foolish and dangerous practice of handloading unrecommended squib loads in your Rifles - and I pray that if you continue this foolish and senseless practice that you do not hurt yourself or someone shooting alongside you!
Its simply dangerous and senseless. I can appreciate your sentiments about being safe...all reloading is dangerous, as far as experimenting and finding out what works is not irresponsible, in my opinion. IN my experimenting, I have frequently gone to where a load starts to have pressure issues.. I note the point that they started, and to the point just before, where there were no pressure issues. That is why when I share info, I include a point I advise folks not to go past. Heck, I have spoken with Sierra's tech line.. and they still judge a load as being safe, not by any pressure testing equipment but by measuring the diameter of the case at the web, and comparing it to new specs. So would you trust their data, knowing that is how they devise it as being safe or not??
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: ingwe Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/29/10
Seafire..you are too nice to this troll wannabe...

More prayers sent.... grin
Posted By: Seafire Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/31/10

Was just going thru this thread again this morning...
Heard an old Mac Davis song on the radio in the garage while doing some loading this morning..

Could it be that Big Stick here is really Mac Davis? Or is it that he just got highly motivated by one of Mac Davis's old hits?

"Oh Lord its hard to be humble..when you're perfect in every way... C'ain't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better looking each day... To know me is to love me, I must be a Hellova Man... Oh Lord its hard to be humble...when your perfect in EVERY Way!"

[Linked Image]

The pic of Beavis's partner fits also....

Posted By: Ackman Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 12/31/10
Originally Posted by Calif. Hunter
So far, though, while coming close, nothing has worked better than H-335 for speed and accuracy.

I never chrono'd those 335 loads and don't know what they were doing. With 40's and 50's try some AA2015 and compare it to 335. Then if you want a real eye opener shoot some VV133/135 with 50's and 55's.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 01/01/11

Was just going thru this thread again this morning...
Heard an old Mac Davis song on the radio in the garage while doing some loading this morning..

Could it be that Big Stick here is really Mac Davis? Or is it that he just got highly motivated by one of Mac Davis's old hits?

"Oh Lord its hard to be humble..when you're perfect in every way... C'ain't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better looking each day... To know me is to love me, I must be a Hellova Man... Oh Lord its hard to be humble...when your perfect in EVERY Way!"

[Linked Image]

The pic of Beavis's partner fits also....

Never ain't funny,how your imagination will take you places,noone else can go..................
Originally Posted by Ackman
So far, though, while coming close, nothing has worked better than H-335 for speed and accuracy.

I never chrono'd those 335 loads and don't know what they were doing. With 40's and 50's try some AA2015 and compare it to 335. Then if you want a real eye opener shoot some VV133/135 with 50's and 55's.

Did one "sound" better than the others?!!?..............
Posted By: Ackman Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 01/01/11
Originally Posted by Ackman

Did one "sound" better than the others?!!?..............

They were chrono'd.
Speeds? There dickbrain...............
Posted By: Ackman Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 01/01/11
Speeds? There dickbrain...............

Little Big Mouth. Don't start this crap.

26" Shilen
AA2015 - 50TNT/3630 - 40BT/4010
VV133 - 50TNT/3670 - 55BK/3650
VV135 - 55BK/3630

20" Rem
VV133 - 40VMax/3895

Facts ain't never not interesting.

Them standards,is a bane.

Hint.........
Posted By: Seafire Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 01/01/11
[.

[/quote]

Never ain't funny,how your imagination will take you places,noone else can go.................. [/quote]

Seafire's imagination has nothing on your imagination about yourself and your Ego.....the pride of Nowhere Alaska...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Big Stick Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 01/02/11
You've now 29,840 chances to find me mistaken.

Give 'er a whirl.............
Posted By: Seafire Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 01/02/11
You fantasize that I care about even ONE of those chances... much less the other 29,860....

You may or may not be a wealth of information, but the pompous attitude it comes with, makes it worthless, as far as I am concerned..

you might think you are the ONLY member on this forum with any experiences.... however I have learned a lot from others on here, without the "Superiority Complex" you dillusionally exist in...

I got along fine before being aware of your existence... and am getting along fine, laughing at it...

you're just another bozo whose
"a legend in his own mind"...there a dime a dozen...and like most folks, I don't have the time of day for them...

but even heroes such as yourself always need an audience... or you don't know how to function..don't count me as part of your audience...

If I need to deal with A Holes... I'll just go down to the local DMV....or any other local state or Federal Office...
I speak matter of factly,because facts interest me.

You guess,because you must................
I speak matter of factly,because facts interest me.

You guess,because you must................

Kind of one of those : "I am therefore I are" Theories...

Interesting, very interesting Sgt Shultz...

[Linked Image]
You've now 29,895 chances to find me mistaken.

Rather humorous that you cain't...which is more than a leetle poignant and upon several levels..............(grin)
You've now 29,895 chances to find me mistaken.

Rather humorous that you cain't...which is more than a leetle poignant and upon several levels..............(grin)

You are back with that simple delusion that I am looking for them or really care...

But hey, you love yourself more than all the rest of the people in the world could combined.. so you don't need our approval..

I have it on good Authority, that even God is in AWE over you...

but Just Remember Mr Whipple: "Please don't squeeze the Charmin!!!"
I return to facts,because only facts are interesting.

The sole delusion,is YOU fancying yourself as having a "clue".

Bandwidth only confirms that obvious and it's inherent humor.

Congratulations?...............
Posted By: Seafire Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 01/03/11
The legendary character Forrest Gump had your pegged just right with those immortal words... Mama always said " Stupid is as Stupid Does"....

Keep telling yourself what a hero you are...some day you might actually believe it... you are the only guy I can think of that can pull the Jedi Mind Trick on himself...

you really are a talented dude....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GeorgeS3 Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 01/04/11
SF-----Is it possible that the 2 bad loads you fired were from loader error?????

George
Posted By: Seafire Re: H-322 in .223 Rem ? - 01/05/11
Naw George.. I'd consider that.. but it is pretty clear cut..

my load techniques are Lee Powder dippers, a hand trickler and a 505 beam scale.. and 25 grains is not under loading or over loading in a 223 case, but close enough if overloaded it would over flow..

the first was a Black Hills load..that is what they told me they loaded.. 25 grains of H 335... its a pretty bread and butter load..

with some many other things working so well in a 223, too many alternatives exist to futz with H 335...
© 24hourcampfire