Home
Posted By: WV_Airedale .220 Swift - 07/21/11
What bullet for coyote hunting when you want to keep the pelt? It is partial to 55 gr Sierra's which open up a groundhog pretty good. Looking for something to keep pelt damage to a minimum.

thanks
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: .220 Swift - 07/21/11
WVBlue: I use the wonderful Speer 52 grain hollow-point flat base bullets in several of my 220 Swifts and 22-250's for saving pelts on Coyotes.
This bullet was recommended to me by two different Federal predator controllers for saving pelts when using the high performance (flat trajectory) 220 Swift.
Do not confuse the recommended Speer 52 grain hollow-point flat base with the Speer 52 grain hollow-point boat tail which is a much more explosive bullet.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Seafire Re: .220 Swift - 07/21/11
VG,

ever tried the 55 grain TNT?

Like you I used the 52 grain HP ALOT in my 22.250s for a long time...but tried the 55 TNT, and I am switching over to it vs the 52 HP...

that is unless this 53 VMax starts working out real well...
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: .220 Swift - 07/23/11
Hornady 52 gr. HPBT Match bullets tend not to expand much. They prove to be UNREAL accurate in my tang safety 77V Swift.
Posted By: Seafire Re: .220 Swift - 07/24/11
Yoder,

just to clarify,

VG and I were speaking of Speer's 52 grain HP varmint bullet, not their 52 grain Match bullets...

two totally different animals..
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: .220 Swift - 07/29/11
Seafire........

Yep. I was aware you were discussing a different bullet. I was just adding that the match bullet was another good choice for pelt preservation. wink
Posted By: greggohrc Re: .220 Swift - 07/29/11
Yoder,
What powder and charge are you using on the 52 bthp's? I just bought some and want to try them out. I shoot 36 varmint grenades now, awesome accurate and fast!!!
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: .220 Swift - 07/29/11
Gregg-O............

I am loading 38.0 gr. of IMR-3031.

PLEASE NOTE: The 38.0 gr. has been waaaay too hot in another Swift it was tried in. Reduce 10% and, as always, take due precaution in working up.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: .220 Swift - 07/31/11
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Gregg-O............

I am loading 38.0 gr. of IMR-3031.

PLEASE NOTE: The 38.0 gr. has been waaaay too hot in another Swift it was tried in. Reduce 10% and, as always, take due precaution in working up.

crazy No schitt. Loading 2grs less of Benchmark, Under 60 degrees all is good, about 3650. Excellent accuracy (.21 for 5 shots @ 100). After that started getting erratic velocitys, and pressure spikes. At 75 degrees was getting 4026 average, stiff bolt, and flattening primers. Had ES of 162 fps.

So yep, I thinks yours is a bit HOT.

BYE BYE barrell. Been there done that.

Swifty
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: .220 Swift - 07/31/11
Originally Posted by Swifty52
crazy No schitt. Loading 2grs less of Benchmark, Under 60 degrees all is good, about 3650. Excellent accuracy (.21 for 5 shots @ 100). After that started getting erratic velocitys, and pressure spikes. At 75 degrees was getting 4026 average, stiff bolt, and flattening primers. Had ES of 162 fps.

Swifty

Dunno. confused This load is a book max charge from the Lyman manual. Barrel life may be compromised. I, obviously, can't say how much. I will tell you that velocity dwarfs your Benchmark number, primers are slightly flattened but not cratered and pockets stay nice and tight. Velocity spreads are well within acceptable parameters (ES in the 40's) and accuracy is superb to freakish for a box-stock factory gun.

I guess if I wanted to run .22-.250 numbers I'd have bought a .22-.250

Don't know what else to say. frown
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: .220 Swift - 07/31/11

Swifty

Dunno. confused This load is a book max charge from the Lyman manual. Barrel life may be compromised. I, obviously, can't say how much. I will tell you that velocity dwarfs your Benchmark number, primers are slightly flattened but not cratered and pockets stay nice and tight. Velocity spreads are well within acceptable parameters (ES in the 40's) and accuracy is superb to freakish for a box-stock factory gun.

Better buy a new book, 50 to 52 gr IMR 3031 35 to 36 grs By Sierras Newest book, Speer # 14 52 gr, 36 grs IMR 3031, IMR Manual 2010 50 to 52gr 36.5 grs. IMR 2007 Manual Max 36.5 IMR 3031 velocity with a 50 is between 3800 and 3900. Had to go back to a 20 year old hodgdon manual to find 37.5 grains IMR 3031, but the max velocity was only 3750, Wonder if they are making better powders these days?
43.5 grs H380 Which is max, and adding a magnum primer gave me 4075 average with a 52 gr, which did burn out a barrell. Took 800 rds at this velocity to toast 2 inches of barrell total number down the tube was 1450. Mines a box stock Cooper Model 22 MV.
If I want freakish velocity, I can load up 46.5 grs AA 2700 CCI BR primer and 40 gr SBK for 4450 fps and awesome accuracy, If I wanna go higher I can max out that load by adding 1gr and probably break 4500 fps. But all of these loads are within published book in the last 5 years.
An aside to this, Benchmark is #80 on the burn rate chart, IMR 3031 is 78 they are so close it really doesnt matter.
Going back 20 years and still not coming up with 38 grs, its an overload by todays standard, and as I said before BYE BYE barrell, I have been there and done that.

Swifty
Posted By: minnmarcus Re: .220 Swift - 08/01/11
60 gr Nosler Solid Base boat tail. Penetrates well stays together and doesn't blow big holes on the way out if it passes through. Works good on larger critters also. One year in Montana had to use it for Mule Deer and Antelope as my other rifle went down.
Posted By: WV_Airedale Re: .220 Swift - 08/01/11
Thank you all for the information. I will (hopefully) show some pictures after our trip.
Posted By: greggohrc Re: .220 Swift - 08/02/11
so, does anyone have an opinion on barrel wear with my load of 36gr VG's and 41.5gr of varget? Chrono at 4300 avg. Should I tone them down? They shoot so accurate I would hate to mess with them.
Posted By: JerryEden Re: .220 Swift - 08/04/11
I shot 36.5 Grains of IMR4064/55 Ballistic tip for over 21 years, before I replaced the barrel. Now with a differnt barrel, I use 38RL15/55 Balistic tip. The bullet does not leave a coyote under 300 yds. Turns insides into jelly, should be just perfect for you. I don't worry about burning a barrel, I don't get them hot, and when their done, I replace them. Love the Swift!!

Jerry
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: .220 Swift - 08/06/11

Swifty

Better buy a new book, 50 to 52 gr IMR 3031 35 to 36 grs By Sierras Newest book, Speer # 14 52 gr, 36 grs IMR 3031, IMR Manual 2010 50 to 52gr 36.5 grs. IMR 2007 Manual Max 36.5 IMR 3031 velocity with a 50 is between 3800 and 3900. Had to go back to a 20 year old hodgdon manual to find 37.5 grains IMR 3031, but the max velocity was only 3750, Wonder if they are making better powders these days?
43.5 grs H380 Which is max, and adding a magnum primer gave me 4075 average with a 52 gr, which did burn out a barrell. Took 800 rds at this velocity to toast 2 inches of barrell total number down the tube was 1450. Mines a box stock Cooper Model 22 MV.
If I want freakish velocity, I can load up 46.5 grs AA 2700 CCI BR primer and 40 gr SBK for 4450 fps and awesome accuracy, If I wanna go higher I can max out that load by adding 1gr and probably break 4500 fps. But all of these loads are within published book in the last 5 years.
An aside to this, Benchmark is #80 on the burn rate chart, IMR 3031 is 78 they are so close it really doesnt matter.
Going back 20 years and still not coming up with 38 grs, its an overload by todays standard, and as I said before BYE BYE barrell, I have been there and done that.

Swifty

Ya know............I've noticed that the newer the load manual, the smaller the charge for the same bullet.

So........ is the powder getting better ?? Or are the lawyers getting worse ??

Case in point: The 7-STW. Data compiled buy the guy who invented it is nowhere NEAR as anemic as the data found in modern load manuals. Look at a modern load manual and they'd have you believe that the STW out-performs the 7 Rem Mag by a mere 50 or 100 fps. Not so. Not at all. Has SAAMI backed off all its operating pressures and I missed it ??

Sorry for the semi-hijack. But this puzzles the poop outta me.
Posted By: southtexas Re: .220 Swift - 08/06/11
IIRC MD said the data for the STW was reduced a lot when it became a factory round and the factories got reliable pressure data.
Posted By: JerryEden Re: .220 Swift - 08/06/11
Yoder makes a good point on loads. Since I have been loading for quite a while, I still have all the older data manuals and hand outs. Here's an example that comes right to mind. 35 Whelen 250 grain bullet/56 grains of IMR4064. My favortie load with either a 225 or a 250. Back in the day, this was the MID load, and now it may be 2 or 3 grains over the current max. In the Swift there is more room for speed in my rifle, but the load is so accurate, another 100-200fps is insignificant.

Jerry
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: .220 Swift - 08/14/11
Yoder, I do not believe that SAMMI has backed off or that the lawyers have made such a big inroad as to cause powder manufacturers to back off the charge.

What I do believe you are seeing is the advancement and increased accuracy of such batching equipment, also accuracy of the amount of deterents added to the powder.

Just as 25yrs ago this discussion would have not been possible in this form, snail mail or club discussion maybe. I mean 1995 a 14.4 or 28.8 modem was FAST. If you could afford the 2 to 3 grand a computer cost.

The powder industry I am sure has also taken the technology and used it to improve the powder making process to where a computer controls the whole thing. I would even venture to guess that thier pressure and speed measurements have also vastly improved.

I have seen the growth in use of, and physical size declination of PLCs, computers and the effect(vastly improved) they have had on manufacturing processes.

There has to be a reason why when a new manual comes out, they put a statement in there that says all previous data is obsolete. I have also noticed that in some cases the diffrence between old and new data isnt as great as some of the examples here, but diffrent they are.

Unfortunately things do change, and also rifle powder does too.

Swifty
Posted By: lawdog44 Re: .220 Swift - 08/15/11
try the 35 gr NTX by hornday I used 41 gr varget in my 22-250 and got 4448fps acrost the chronegraph but heard they now make a 45 gr dont know how true that is but shot many groundhogs got a pinhole going in and lots of internal damage never an exit the good thing I liked about bullet. The size of it it was [being leadfree] as long as a 50gr nosler so just think if it awas 45gr how long wood it be and how well it would cut the wind and lend to stability in a.220 Swift
Posted By: PaleRider Re: .220 Swift - 08/15/11
Originally Posted by southtexas
IIRC MD said the data for the STW was reduced a lot when it became a factory round and the factories got reliable pressure data.

When they made it a factory round and tested Layne Simpsons load data for the 7 STW with lab pressure equipment alot of his loads were running over 70,000 psi eek, so they backed them down to safe levels.
Same thing with the 7mm Remington magnum. When it first came out it was running close to 7mm Weatherby speeds until it developed it's reputation for pressure spikes and they backed it down to accomodate the peak spike pressures.

Ted

Posted By: greggohrc Re: .220 Swift - 08/15/11
Well 41.5 grains of varget and 36 grain Barnes VG's is deadly! Got them dialed in and just held on at almost any distance. I also did 52 grain HPBT's with a healthy load of H380, awesome load as well.
Posted By: LASSIE Re: .220 Swift - 08/24/11
I have always loaded my 220 swift with IMR4064 and AA2015
with 40 gr noslers moly coated but now am using AA2520 and getting 4463 fps
and it is accurate.

info for nitrate process for your barrels
hard surface in barrel will not ware out.
can't scratch it with a new file.
MMI Trutec
attn: Rodney Lanier
2609 N 12th ave.
Paragould Arkansas
price is $60.00 each $50.00 if more than one
plus $20.00 for shipping
average turn around time 1 week.
make check or money order to
R & T Custom Gun Coatings
http://www.trutecind.com/
email
[email protected] <[email protected]>
phone
(870) 236-6920
5 locations in usa
http://www.trutecind.com/locations.aspx
Posted By: BandGHunter Re: .220 Swift - 09/03/11
Swifty, I still have my Hornady book from 1973 and my new er book I think 7th.edt. has alot of changes up and down. We talk about it alot. My swift loads are H-380 41.5 55 gr. Gameking. and v max. My .270 loads are above max. in new book. Freaks me out sometimes. I only hunt chucks with the swift yotes get 50gr. Speer 222
Posted By: Boxer Re: .220 Swift - 09/04/11
Originally Posted by LASSIE
I have always loaded my 220 swift with IMR4064 and AA2015
with 40 gr noslers moly coated but now am using AA2520 and getting 4463 fps
and it is accurate.

info for nitrate process for your barrels
hard surface in barrel will not ware out.
can't scratch it with a new file.
MMI Trutec
attn: Rodney Lanier
2609 N 12th ave.
Paragould Arkansas
price is $60.00 each $50.00 if more than one
plus $20.00 for shipping
average turn around time 1 week.
make check or money order to
R & T Custom Gun Coatings
http://www.trutecind.com/
email
[email protected] <[email protected]>
phone
(870) 236-6920
5 locations in usa
http://www.trutecind.com/locations.aspx

Holy smokes those must shoot flat! How much ware have you seen? How far does it shoot? Thank you.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: .220 Swift - 09/08/11
Originally Posted by BandGHunter
Swifty, I still have my Hornady book from 1973 and my new er book I think 7th.edt. has alot of changes up and down. We talk about it alot. My swift loads are H-380 41.5 55 gr. Gameking. and v max. My .270 loads are above max. in new book. Freaks me out sometimes. I only hunt chucks with the swift yotes get 50gr. Speer 222

Seen alot of whats called safe from back in that era, also noticed alot of what was safe then isnt now. Wild velocity swings and pressure signs on loads that were OK. I have also noticed the overloads with certain weights in my 25.06 as you have in your 270. Its a very good point.

I have shot your Swift load, and it wasnt bad at all.

I always wanted a tri deuce, still do. Just couldnt find one in a Cooper MV, so got one in 223 instead. Trying to get my wife and grand daughter into shooting Center fire rifle. They love the thing. The wife already has a couple of .3 groups on her 3rd try at shooting it. Going to download the Swift to about 3450 with a proven load thats accurate, mild on recoil and barrell friendly, get them to shoot that too.

I am addicted to the Swift as you can tell. Damn Good cartridge, just misunderstood.

Swifty

© 24hourcampfire