Home
Wanting to work up some good coyote loads for my Savage Model 12 FCV 22-250, 26" Barrel 1 in 12. Just curious what some favorites are or what your recommendations would be. This gun shoots Hornady 55gr VMAX factory ammo very well.

J. Rose
55gr V-Max and TAC.

Travis
52gr Amax and H4895 worked well before I rebarreled and punched mine AI
Coyotes - 55 grain Hornady SP and H4895. I use them in a 1-12" and 1-14" ROT.
35.5 benchmark 50 balistic tip
Varget. 36.5 for 55s; 39.5 for 40s.
Try this site for some great loads listed by shooters:

www.centerfirecentral.com

Always refer to a reloading manual.
Nosler 50 or 55 gr BT with Varget or Win 760
Thanks everybody. Just getting into reloading, I do have some very knowledgable friends to keep me out of trouble. Just trying to get a general consensus of what others like and get a starting point.
It is hard to not find a good shooting load for the 22-250
38.0 H380, Nosler 55 gr ballistic tip seated to .005" off the lands, Federal GM210 primer. Shoots tiny groups out of my savage 12BVSS.
Yep, my load also with H380, worked in many 22-250s.
35.5 gr of 4895 with a Sierra 53 gr. flat based hp works good for me. Great load for chucks....Not super hot, but gets the job done and groups great in my M700 Varmint Special.
Yup 35.5 gr H4895 with a 52gr Amax do work in the .22-250
...[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
My 22-250 needs a new barrel but i used win 748 and 40gr vmax.
I like H380 because it meters so well. If you're loading up for a Pdog shoot, you can't be weighing charges. Unless, of course, you have a great deal of time on your hands.
Also, using the bulk 55gr Hornady or Core lokt bullets killed everything I could hit.
Contrary to the main stream per usual...

for prairie dogs or ground hogs...

30 grains of RL 7, 52 HP Speer...

MVs in the 3650 fps range....( I could push faster, but this more than does the job..) the 52 HP Speer is both accurate and explosive...

using 30 grains of powder, it heats up less quickly and if you don't get out their and make the barrel hot enough to brand cattle... it will increase the barrel life, using a lot of other powders...

plus RL 7 is always accurate in about anything I use it in...
Per Seafire:

I also endorse the 52 gr. Speer HP, I use 34-35 gr. of IMR 4064 with that bullet.

IMR 4895 works well also.

Some other great bullets in the 22/250 (at least in my 1x12 twist) are the Sierra 40 gr.HP and 60gr.HP.
Jrose49111: If you are interested in saving the hides of the Coyotes then I recommend the Speer 52 grain hollowpoint flat base bullets for this.
Do not use the Speer 52 grain hollowpoint boat tail bullets as these are a completely different bullet and perform very differently.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
38.7 gr. H380 and 52 gr. JLK LD. I am chrono'ing 3550 fps and consistent half MOA groups.
Originally Posted by hunter01
35.5 gr of 4895 with a Sierra 53 gr. flat based hp works good for me. Great load for chucks....Not super hot, but gets the job done and groups great in my M700 Varmint Special.

I tried a BUNCH of different powders and bullets in my 1:12 twist 22-250 and finally tried the above load today. Prior to that, group sizes for 5 shot groups went around 1 to 1.5 inches at 100 yards. I finally dug out the IMR 4895 I bought way back when a pound of it went for $12 and got a 0.5 inch 5 shot group. Here is the load:

Case: Winchester
Primer: WLR
Bullet: Sierra 55 gr. Varminter (this is a soft nosed and not a hollow point bullet)
Powder: 35.5 gr. IMR 4895
COAL: About 2.475 in.

I'll take an accurate load over a hot load any day.
One group?
Yes; one group with that particular powder charge. Obviously not a definitive evaluation for me but it looks much more promising than the other stuff I tried including the highly touted Superformance.

I also tried 1 grain under that and 0.5 grains over that with 3 shot groups being a bit over one inch and a bit under once inch respectively.
Shoot some more and let us know. Hopefully you have found your load.
60gr Hornady SP @ 2.38"
Remington case
CCI BR2 primer
39.7gr of Norma URP
3,506 fps

I borrowed the load from a friend who shoots the same gun I do and shot 3, 3 shot groups averaging 1,85"@245 yds on a perfectly calm 60�F morning.
I could give you loads but my rifle is not yours, if you used my loads you would only be loading for my rifle.
My rifle likes 39.0 gr of H-414 with a 50 gr V-Max or Ballistic Tip or 38.0 gr of Big Game with the same bullets or a 50 gr Speer TNT.
try 55gr hpbt gk
39gr h380,it works great for anything
55 Berger and Varget is perking well in my 22/250

Dober
i was out trying some new loads yesterday and lo and behold..........i found a load for barnes 50gr tsx in a 1-14 twist that works!37.5 h380 oal 2.350.shot 3/4 inch,the 50gr ttsx not so much.but i still prefer sierra gmk hpbt
jrose:

If you are still reading these posts, I have had good results with several powders e.g. IMR 4064, AA 2230, H4895 in my 1x12 twist 22/250.

For bullets, my favorites are the 52 gr. Speer HP and Sierra 40 gr HP.

I have shot the V Maxes and Sierra Blitz Kings, but the first two listed kill very well.
It's hard to find a BAD load for just about any 22-250. About 20 years ago I was on a 22-250 loading kick and had so many good loads that I finally settled on just one so that I could be more familiar with my trajectory, wind drift, etc. and therefore hit where I'm aiming more often. I also load 16 other cartridges now so there's no time for the 22-250 experiments. So now the 22-250 only gets 55 gr. Ballistic Tips driven by 35.5 gr. of IMR-4320 in carefully prepped brass with CCI B.R. primers. Runs about 3530 fps out of my Mod. 700 Varmint Spl. and devastates woodchucks even when they are way out there.
I load 50gr molyed V-maxs over 38.5gr of RE-15 for 3900FPS. Some cool launchs on small critters and deadly on yotes. Like most varmint bullets a fast v-max will make a mess out of a head shot yote but if you keep shots in the boiler room, small hole in and normaly no exit but a dead yote
[Linked Image]
The 22-250 has the home camo painted stock.
Im running 34.0 grs of benchmark winchester brass seated at book max. My brass is all annealed and prepped. Pushing a 50gr nosler combined technology bullet with WLR primers. My kimber 22-250 shoots in the .2s and .3s with this load. The remmy BDL also shot this load very well. Puts coyotes down on the spot have not had a runner yet. If ya hit a bone be ready to do some sewing.
Here is my best 22-250 Varmint load for my standard weight barrel Ruger No.1.

[Linked Image]

Not only accurate but quite effective.
Rock Chucks shot at short range are literately caped out.
I've taken chucks out to 500 yards with it.

[Linked Image]
300 yard chuck kill.

Appreciate all the imput you guys have given.
There are several loads here that I'll be trying in my heavy barrel 22-250.

Steve
Originally Posted by ShootDogs
Varget. 36.5 for 55s; 39.5 for 40s.

I tried several different loads in my Ruger Predator, and the most accurate by far was 39.5 grains of Varget and the 40 grain VMax bullet.
My favorite loads are with 50 Vmax or Blitzking and either 3031 or H4895..
Originally Posted by supercrewd
It is hard to not find a good shooting load for the 22-250

That's been my experience. I load for my buddies new savage trophy hunter XP and it isn't finicky at all. His other 22-250 is a Thompson center venture and it shoots sub moa as well. Here are some loads I tried in his savage:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
50 CT Ballistic Silvertip or Noz BT over 37.2 grains of RL-15 right now, coyotes do not care for this bullet. Fed GM primers.

Really liked 55 Ballistic Tips over a max load of IMR-4064 at one time, WLR primed.

Wanting to try some CFE-223 with 40 and 50 Ballistic Silvertips as well.
34.5 grs of Varget
CCI 200
63 gr Sierra SMP
Winchester case
2.4 OAL

Or

34 grs of Varget
CCI 200
64 gr Nosler Bonded Performance
Winchester case
2.35 OAL

Either is a deer slayer.
36.5 of 4064
52gr hornady HPBT
why do people open 6 years old threads?

how deep did they have to dig to find them even?
John, it was probably hanco again... Out of curiosity though, have your loads changed any since then?? Old threads like these aren't bad if they surface again and again though. However, I would never use a load shown on the interweb without first consulting a load manual..... wink
Lawrence...

for the 22.250, I currently use loads depending on rifle and bullet weight, utilizing the following powders:

1. RL 7
2. 3031
3. IMR 4895
4. 4064
5. RL 15
6 AR Comp...

and yeah, I know I'm old school... but they have been working for decades, and don't see the appeal to update to whatever the latest greatest d'jour happens to be this week...
Originally Posted by Seafire
Lawrence...

for the 22.250, I currently use loads depending on rifle and bullet weight, utilizing the following powders:

1. RL 7
2. 3031
3. IMR 4895
4. 4064
5. RL 15
6 AR Comp...

and yeah, I know I'm old school... but they have been working for decades, and don't see the appeal to update to whatever the latest greatest d'jour happens to be this week...

Thanks buddy. I load for a buddies 22-250, but wish I still had my old C prefix model 700 BDL. That was one hell of a good 22-250. I do miss that rifle sometimes... Eventually I'll end up buying another rifle chambered for this round, so threads like this intrigue me...
55 grain Sierra with 36 grains of IMR 4064. I haven't changed this load in 40 plus years. It just flat works in all my rifles.
Don't be afraid to play with XBR 8208
Varget and 40gr BT is a good combo.
40.5 H380 under a 40 grn B tip.

40.6 WW760 under a 50 grn vmax.
Originally Posted by Dustylongshot
55 grain Sierra with 36 grains of IMR 4064. I haven't changed this load in 40 plus years. It just flat works in all my rifles.

Pretty solid combo there.
That is a good combo, I shot it for years, but with a HPBT...

But I like the way H4895 flows though my powder measure, and it shoots a bit faster!!
You might want to try AA4064. It is a short kernel and meters well. As far as I can tell, it loads like the IMR stuff.
Berger 55gr VV135
I shoot 35.8 grns of 4064 with a 50 grn V-max.
My favorite for over 30 years: 55 gr Sierra Blitz, 39.5 H380, W-W brass, CCI 200 primer. Velocity in my old Ithaca LSA 55 is 3600 fps, and half-inch accuracy. Blitzes fragment on impact and usually no exit wounds on groundhogs.
35.5 gr. of 4895 with 53 gr. sierra hp works good for me.
36.2 Grains of IMR4064 behind a Sierra 52 Grain Match bullet.

A load given to me years ago by a friend of 33 Grains of IMR3031 behind a Sierra 53 grain bullet was also stellar. I read somewhere years after being given the load that Remington used it as their accuracy load. I sure wish I remember where I read that, though.

Now days my .22/250 has a new Shilen .22/250 AI barrel and acts like it wants to shoot Big Game powder behind a Nosler 55 grain Ballistic Tip
Mine shot factory Winchester CXP1 50 gr silver ballistic times (.5's) so well the few times I shot it, that I'd start with it.
33.3gr R15
75gr Hornady Amax
Lapua Brass
Tula LRM Primer

5 shots at 710 yards

John

[Linked Image]
In my Ruger M77 MkII I haven't found anything to top 35-H4895 and a simple 55 gr Hornady sp. Either with or without cannelure. Does a number on coyotes!
I don't know why this thread was dug up but I won't complain. I saw Seafire's load using RL-7 and will have to try it as I have a pound or two to use up. I am currently using IMR 4320 and 52 gr moly coated Berger match bullets and Hornady 52 gr HPs in a Savage Axis with good results.

The Remington 700 I recently picked up doesn't like those but maybe the RL-7 will calm it down. Might have to try the 3031 load as I have some of that and the Sierras someplace.
3031 is an accuracy powder secret often overlooked in the world of where everyone wants
the latest and greatest that wasn't available or in existence last year.

its also a good powder for downloading a cartridge...as its still real accurate.

and if you want to rocket a 40 grain Ballistic Tip or Varmaggeddon or V Max out of a 22.250..
work up to 33.5 grains of R L 7... MV will be 4150 to 4200 fps in my Ruger 77 and my Model 70.
I just bought a Remington Model 7 Predator 22-250, and am messing around with it. I've tried several loads, and want to use the 52 grain Speer HP, as I have a bunch of them. I load them using W760, and have gotten some decent groups. Like my Ruger 22-250, it also loves the 40 VMax with Varget. I am out of the VMax's, so I tried some 40 grain Nosler BT's, and they don't seem to shoot as well as the VMax does. The reason for going with a 22-250 over a 223 is velocity, and I am not going to load any "mild" 22-250 loads. I want to push that bullet as fast as possible. I am never going to shoot enough to shoot a barrel out, so no worry there.
IMR 3031 has been an accuracy powder in the 22-250 for years, as noted above. However, my handload for my first 22-250 was a maximum load of IMR 4895 under a Sierra 63 grain semi-spitzer.

Back in the 1980s, my first 22-250, a Remington 700 BDL heavy barrel, had a long throat, and that load shot great. Velocity was 3,500 fps. It was nearly as rough on woodchucks as my 25-06, and that's saying something.

When I got my third (and current) 22-250, a Cooper Varmint Extreme, I switched to the then-new powder Varget, as it is relatively temperature insensitive. My favorite loads in that rifle use 50 grain plastic-tipped bullets with Varget, RL-15, or N 540. I have used the H 380 load with 55 grain bullets, but I prefer 50 grain bullets in a rifle with 1 in 14" twist.

In my experience, the most explosive varmint bullets are Sierra Blitz King, Hornady VMAX, and Nosler Ballistic Tip. I haven't shot any varmints with the new flat-based tipped bullets from Nosler, so I can't rate them. All of the above shoot great in my rifle.

In my Cooper I worked up to 3,900 fps using Varget and moly-coated 50 grain bullets. I forget the load, but it was hot. I have backed down since. With today's new powders I think something like IMR 4166 would be a good choice. It burns cleanly and has that de-coppering agent built in. That's what I would recommend. Good luck with your rifle.
Good to see a fast twist 75 grain load Hondo.

More fast twist loads might be in order with the current interest in fast twist rifles.....

BTW, 33 grains of R15 with 75 grain projectiles has shot well in two 8 twist .22-250's I have owned.
I recently had a new barrel put on my Cooper, an 8 twist intended for the 75 Hornady ELD-M. After load development, fine tuning scope adjustments, and fine tuning data inputs in the G7BR2 rangefinder I got it out last week for some prairie dog shooting. Long shot of the day was 1127 yards. I had hoped to make it a thousand yard PD gun... mission accomplished.
Originally Posted by cobrad
I recently had a new barrel put on my Cooper, an 8 twist intended for the 75 Hornady ELD-M. After load development, fine tuning scope adjustments, and fine tuning data inputs in the G7BR2 rangefinder I got it out last week for some prairie dog shooting. Long shot of the day was 1127 yards. I had hoped to make it a thousand yard PD gun... mission accomplished.

That is sweet, Brad!!
I got some MidwayUSA "80 gr." surplus, unnamed bullets that took a while to ID. They actually weigh 75.5 gr., so maybe that's why they were at Midway. Anyway, I loaded some in my 8 twist Shilen .22-250 and they shot surprisingly well. I don't know how they'll do on critters, but I hope to find out.

Here's the link to Horn TAP/SBR ammo. You can see the similarity with that bullet and this one. SBR stands for short barreled rifle. So, I'm pushing them a lot faster than Hornady, in their 5.56 SBR ammo. http://www.hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/556-nato/75-gr-tap-sbr I didn't get the chrono set up, but they should be running around 3,200 fps.

DF

[Linked Image]
Mohawk 600/Shilen 8 twist .22-250. Barrel slightly longer than original. Balances better. Timney, aluminum bottom metal, glassed and free floated.

DF

[Linked Image]
Does anyone know what twist Howa uses on their 22/250s ? Its an older one and has a 22" barrel.
Don’t know. Older gun, I’d guess 14.

DF
Originally Posted by dh84
Does anyone know what twist Howa uses on their 22/250s ? Its an older one and has a 22" barrel.

1 in 14... the one I had and gave to a friend, for his son in Montana...
Used to have. Rem 700 VS 22-250 with factory 1-14” twist barrel. My most used load was 35.5 grains IMR 4064 and a 50 grain Sierra Blitzking. It would shoot 5/8-3/4”. (.6-.75”) moa.

No chrono, estimate ~3500-3550 FPS. Took my longest first shot kill of a chuck at 410 yards with it.

Your 1-12” twist may prefer 55 grain bullets.
30 grains of H 322, with 53 V Max... 3500 fps out of Model 70 with a 28 inch barrel...

1 in 12 twist.. Pac Nor barrel.. heavy magnum contour.

one of my favorite individual rifles.
Originally Posted by roninflag
35.5 benchmark 50 balistic tip

That's a winner in my book too. Benchmark, 50gr NBTs and 22-250 where made for each other IMHO.
My first .22-250, a Winchester M70 push feed Sporter Varmint loved 41.4 gr. of 760 pushing a winchester 55 gr soft point at around 3850 fps. This load is straight from the Hornady manual, 3rd edition.

My current rifle, a Savage 12FV adores IMR4064, enough to drive a 40 gr. Ballistic Tip to 4,000 fps. I reload on a progressive press and tried literally every single ball powder suitable for this cartridge and none was as good IMR4064, so I have a manual powder measure set up on the side and use that to meter charges.

My round count is approaching 5,000 and accuracy is falling off a bit. This barrel won't stabilize most 55 gr. projectiles, so I am thinking about rebarreling with a faster twist.
this in a model 12,***** well it was a savage hog hunter in .308 until I bought the model 12 barrel and re-barreled it myself.***

26" barrel

Hornady 55 grain soft point with cannular and 36 grains of CFE223 powder.

Winchester or Remington brass made absolutely no difference in accuracy or velocity. 3,600 to 3,620 fps on my chrono.

less than 1/2" at 200 yards when I do my part

leupold 4-12 rifleman scope

I intend to use this .22-250 rifle / load combo for white tail this year. Should work just fine.
I use 39 gr. of h380 with 55 gr. nosler varmageddon tipped bullets and work great on coyotes. I have the same barrel as you
60 gr. sierra 1375 bullets work great for deer and antolope with 36.5 gr. of h380
I actually have a 22-250 AI, but in my fire-form loads it shoots real well with IMR 4895 and Sierra boat-tail spitzer #1365
I have an FV in .22-250. Bought it for the 12-twist barrel to stabilize the high-BC 53 grain V-Max. Got a tip on using RL 17 for use with those bullets in that chambering. Works great.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
John, it was probably hanco again... Out of curiosity though, have your loads changed any since then?? Old threads like these aren't bad if they surface again and again though. However, I would never use a load shown on the interweb without first consulting a load manual..... wink

😇 it wasn’t me
I’m 63 years old and have been a mild minored moron and rifle looney for-as long as I can remember. One of my favorite rifles is the Remington 700. One of the rifles on my “Bucket List” is the Remington 700 BDL 22-250. When Remington closed its doors I panicked and bought every Remington I could get. I’m old enough to remember the demise of the Winchester 70 in 1964. Value went up. Capitalism is great!!. Said all that to say this… I found a Remington 700 BDL in 22-250 standard weight NITB. The primary purpose of this rifle will be as a varmint rifle, such as hogs, pigs, hogs, pigs and coyotes. I was a little concerned with it being 1-14” because I wanted to shoot 55 grain bullets. I loaded 45 grain, 50grain, and 55 grain per Nosler’s latest edition per the most accurate. I was pleasantly surprised when my best load was 37.5 grains of Big Game with a 55 grain Sierra SP flat base, .433” five shots. I can’t wait to shoot a hog in the ribs and see what happens.
Lately since I have a lot of Benchmark, bought when it was dirt cheap locally...

33.5 grains with a 50 grain VMax or Ballistic Tip....more accurate than the higher powder charges with that powder...
a while back there was a gentleman looking for a i believe 60gr bullit in a 1in 14 twist. i have an old savage 110 with the slow twist and my most accurate load is a 60 gr partition and 36.5 grains of h380, just one ragged hole. i havent tried the hornadys yet
Lately since I have a lot of Benchmark, bought when it was dirt cheap locally...

33.5 grains with a 50 grain VMax or Ballistic Tip....more accurate than the higher powder charges with that powder...

I'd like to find some benchmark. I heard it also works great in the 204 Ruger. I had to dip into my AR Comp stash the other day for my new 22-250:

Jumbled target, but everything is written on it if you follow. I shot 1 bullet from a RL15 load as an aiming point. That was not part of the 5 shot group. Was not shot at the same poa, nor is it of the same load, plus I had shot one of my new 7mm rem mags on the same target at the orange dot...:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I'm going to be rechecking this load. It did pretty good that day...
Originally Posted by RowdyYates
I have an FV in .22-250. Bought it for the 12-twist barrel to stabilize the high-BC 53 grain V-Max. Got a tip on using RL 17 for use with those bullets in that chambering. Works great.

Nice, show some targets. My 1 in 14" twist Tikka shoots that bullet unbelievably well. As does my Stevens 200 in a 1 in 12" twist and 1 in 14" twist Winchester XTR featherweight. Hornady and others say that bullet won't work/stabilize in a 14 twist rifle, but don't tell that to mine!!!!

Less than 1" group at 400, but not on the orange dot:

At 600 yards and a fairly calm day:

I was fn around with that rifle back in February to get it prepared for a long range varmint silhouette match and it was definitely up to the task. Rifle and load did everything I could ask of it.
Good shooting BSA.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Good shooting BSA.

Thanks buddy. The 22-250 is one of my favorites. I just sold one of my favorite rifles that Ive had for a while. One of my buddies was at the range and testing his new Christensen arms rifles and he was talking about wanting a 22-250. I told him I had one in the car. Telling myself I needed to get rid of a 22-250 since I had just bought the 1 in 8 twist Tikka and really like that rifle. I told him if he wants a good 22-250 that one is it and I'd make him a good deal on it. I told him to shoot it, but don't feel bad if it outshoots his new Christensen. It did and he bought it...

The reason I had it at the range is because I pulled the Zeiss conquest off and sent it in so they could fix the factory blemish. Now that scope is at Zeiss and they say the scope they were going to replace it with is on "backorder", so I put an old Burris ffII 3-9x40 on it for now and set it up for hunting yotes. I'm sure they will make it right eventually. The Steven's 200 above is just one rifle I have fine tuned. Has a Timney trigger in it and a new Savage trophy hunter stock that I glass bedded. Like I told my friend, that rifle will outshoot 99% of rifles that guys will bring to this range in town...

Here's a good load I found that works well in 4 different 22-250 rifles. 3 of mine and 1 of my friends:

Sorry, theres 5 shots in there from one of my 6.5 creedmoors, but you get the idea... Even though this is a 22-250 thread. I later sold that Sako A7 to a guy in Alaska. Don't know if he is retarted or what, but when I sold it, I posted targets and said the rifle shot extremely well. He later sent me a picture of a single 3 shot group and says, "Lawrence, I don't know why you sold this rifle?, it shoots great." Well fu cking DUH!!! I don't sell schidt!! Some guys man...

The bullet shot in this target was a 50gr Vmax.
This was when the rifle wore a Weaver 4-16 when I first got the rifle. ^^^ Same load of 35.5 gr of H4895 with a 50gr Vmax. That is a very consistent shooting load.

That has been one of my favorite bullets in my 22-250 rifles. Also like I said, one of my buddies rifles I load for as well. My Tikka Varmint likes 1/2 grain more powder and a slightly longer OAL that puts the bullet .020" off the lands on that rifle:
I know this, if I'm loading that 50gr Vmax, I'm going to load it .020" off and find OCW. Good thing I just bought 540 50gr Vmax from a buddy that owns a shop outside of Reno for $50. They were loose and he didn't know the exact amount in the box. I took them home and counted and weighed every one of them. 540 bullets!!! Not a bad deal. ha ha.. Less than $10/100..
Wow lot of great info here even if it was dug up from the dead.
I bought a cheap savage axis on impulse and trying to work up load using 55vmax (have 500 nbt on the way ) but can’t find a load it likes with cfe 223. It’s what I have along with imr4166 (haven’t opened it yet).
Two powders keep coming up are h380 and h4895. I might have to try and find some.
22-250, Remington 700 Classic, 55 grain Hornady V-max, 9 ½, 38.6 grain Big Game, 0.57 MOA
Originally Posted by Bugger
22-250, Remington 700 Classic, 55 grain Hornady V-max, 9 ½, 38.6 grain Big Game, 0.57 MOA
".57 MOA" is a pretty arbitrary number. How do you come up with such an exacting figure? One of the rifles ive posted groups of in this thread will shoot . In the .2's at 400 yards with 3 shot groups, when checking POI. The same rifle shoots an average of .5-.6 moa for 2 10 shot groups, shot on the same target (as in the moa all day long shoot here). I'm just wondering how a person arrives at such an exacting number ("0.57")? Let me know and I'll start calculating my group averages in the same manner. Where's mathman? Maybe he knows the definitive secret.
".57 MOA" is a pretty arbitrary number. How do you come up with such an exacting figure? One of the rifles ive posted groups of in this thread will shoot . In the .2's at 400 yards with 3 shot groups, when checking POI. The same rifle shoots an average of .5-.6 moa for 2 10 shot groups, shot on the same target (as in the moa all day long shoot here). I'm just wondering how a person arrives at such an exacting number ("0.57")? Let me know and I'll start calculating my group averages in the same manner. Where's mathman? Maybe he knows the definitive secret.

My range is 100 meters. I measure my groups with a caliper. Then I change to MOA. The targets measure .65" for five shots and three groups, at 100 meters it comes out to .57 MOA. There is nothing arbitrary about it!

My range is 100 meters. I measure my groups with a caliper. Then I change to MOA. The targets measure .65" for five shots and three groups, at 100 meters it comes out to .57 MOA. There is nothing arbitrary about it!
Interesting. Ill give that a try. All of mine will be .247moa..give or take
The actual distance by laser is 108 yards. 108 x 36 = 3,888 inches. Arctan(.65/3,888) = angle. I use a spreadsheet that answers this in Radians. Convert radians to degrees. (360 degrees = 2 PI radians). Multiply degrees by 60 to get MOA.

(PI is very close to 355/113)

The nice thing about having this formula on a spreadsheet is I can substitute the yardage by actual measured yards. For instance I have a stand up bench at 54 yards from the target, so I put 54 in the column that has yards and the answer is automatically in MOA. So if the measured group is .325 the MOA the spreadsheet will give the same answer as .65 at 108 yards.

My eyesight isn’t as good as it once was, therefore I shoot my iron-sighted rifles and revolvers at the stand up bench. I built this bench for heavy kicking rifles. But I don’t shoot them as much as I used too. Comes in handy for the irons.

I use an AP on my phone that calculates drop, windage, and velocity for whatever distance I want and it will give every 50 yards as default. Alternatively it will show the answer in a graph.
Quick and easy:

1.047" is very close to what one minute of angle produces at 100 yards.

For .65" group at 108 yards: .65/(1.08x1.047) represents .575 moa.

Similarly a .325" group at 54 yards : .325/(.54x1.047) represents .575 moa.

This can be handled by a little solar powered pocket calculator with basic arithmetic functions.
Originally Posted by mathman
Quick and easy:

This can be handled by a little solar powered pocket calculator with basic arithmetic functions.
Yes, its simple basic math. Saying a rifle is a .57 moa rifle is exactly what I said in my previous post. Look at some of the targets I post. Most are labeled with the moa. It doesn't matter if I'm shooting 100 or 1,000 yards. The group size is labeled. I guarantee if bugger shoots 3 5 shot groups side by side on the same piece of paper, the average is not going to be exactly .57 moa every time. Also most guys use an average of 5 5 shot groups, or if either of you have balls enough, you can shoot the moa all day long challenge here. That will show that it is likely not a ".57 moa" rifle. The number stated is arbitrary, like I said.
I wasn't addressing the strength of the claim either way.
Quick and easy:

Yes, its simple basic math. Saying a rifle is a .57 moa rifle is exactly what I said in my previous post. Look at some of the targets I post. Most are labeled with the moa. It doesn't matter if I'm shooting 100 or 1,000 yards. The group size is labeled. I guarantee if bugger shoots 3 5 shot groups side by side on the same piece of paper, the average is not going to be exactly .57 moa every time. Also most guys use an average of 5 5 shot groups, or if either of you have balls enough, you can shoot the moa all day long challenge here. That will show that it is likely not a ".57 moa" rifle. The number stated is arbitrary, like I said.

This is funny. In a match you can have a single group for small of the day. The only reason for 5 5 shot groups is Agg. You can also have the overall agg of 15 5 shot groups of 100, 200 and 300 yards. And again MOA is actually a poor way to score groups ie .25 inch group will bear a .25 MOA group all day long. (.25” = .25” alas .25 MOA = .26175”). Also read your comment in optics and it seems your head is getting just as large and full of visions of supreme grandeur as Twigglet.
33.5 grains of RL 7... 40 grain V Max or Ballistic Tip....

4250 to 4300 fps depending on which of my 22.250s is shooting it...

Got them in 24, 26 and 28 inch barrels....
Nothing new, he’s always tried to convince everyone he’s really something.

Originally Posted by Swifty52
Quick and easy:

This is funny. In a match you can have a single group for small of the day. The only reason for 5 5 shot groups is Agg. You can also have the overall agg of 15 5 shot groups of 100, 200 and 300 yards. And again MOA is actually a poor way to score groups ie .25 inch group will bear a .25 MOA group all day long. (.25” = .25” alas .25 MOA = .26175”). Also read your comment in optics and it seems your head is getting just as large and full of visions of supreme grandeur as Twigglet.
I’ll often just use 3ea. 5 shot groups and average them.
I shot a rifle a couple days ago that the first group was 1/2 MOA; the next group was 1 1/2 MOA. I didn’t bother to shoot a third group. The rifle was a 35 Whelen. I brought it back to the gun room and put a different scope on it. I have not taken it out again, yet.

Sure 5 ea 5 shot groups are better than 3 ea 5 shot groups but I feel that 3 groups is good enough for me.

A while back I took a Krag out and the first three shots at 54 yards were touching, the next two brought the group to much larger.

If you feel 5 groups is right for you go for it. If you think a 3 shot group is good go for it. Everyone has their standard.

I set up my spreadsheet to calculate MOA as I have several movable target stands I laser the distance and plug in the numbers. This is easy for me. If you have a way you like better good for you.

If the groups vary quite a bit I figure something is wrong.
one inch group at 100 yards is approximately 0.9549296 MOA
[quote=Seafire]3031 is an accuracy powder secret often overlooked in the world of where everyone wants

its also a good powder for downloading a cartridge...as its still real accurate.

3031 is a incredible performer. You won't believe it until you try it. I just made a post in the single shot section about using 3031 in the 243. I'm sure most guys are going to think I'm a blowhard.
Originally Posted by J71248
[quote=Seafire]3031 is an accuracy powder secret often overlooked in the world of where everyone wants

3031 is a incredible performer. You won't believe it until you try it. I just made a post in the single shot section about using 3031 in the 243. I'm sure most guys are going to think I'm a blowhard.

not really "Most guys".... there is a subculture here that can apply to... as they think someone who does something different than they do, is a dumbass... there numbers are few... they are just real vocal...

there is a reason powders like 3031 are still being sold really well, even in a world that only the latest and greatest stuff is preferred stuff...

Some of us have to have the latest.. and some of us are mature enough, to know what was working 60 years ago, is still working just as well today..

4198 and 3031 are two powders I'd never be without.... they just plain work...

may not be the fastest, but they sure need no excuse in the world of accuracy.
may not be the fastest, but they sure need no excuse in the world of accuracy.

I’m with you. I don’t understand getting the last 100 fps. I do understand getting the last 1/4 MOA though.

Go faster, get bigger cartridge is my way of thinking.

BTW: 1.04719765" at 100 yards according to my math approximately = 1 MOA
Anyone here shooting the 22-250 in a factory Savage Striker?
© 24hourcampfire