Home
Posted By: Fotis 17 Hornet? - 11/16/12
Anyone running one? What is your impression?

Any loads?
Posted By: ingwe Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/16/12
huntsman22 is running the new Ruger, and obviously liking it!

I want one.
Posted By: VonGruff Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/16/12
Two friends of mine have just built one each and they do a LOT of shooting with them. One was juat away for a week and fired 925 shots with just 21 misses on rabbit control work. He has been a high volume shooter on this type of work for many years and thinks the 17 Hornet is the best cartridge he has ever used. he has even grassed a deer or two with ear hole shots because it is so accurate. A very experienced shooter and a man I have a great deal of confidence in as far as shooting knowledge goes.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/16/12
Originally Posted by ingwe
huntsman22 is running the new Ruger, and obviously liking it!

I want one.

Understatement, my friend..... This baby has quickly jumped into first place, as my funnestmost rifle. Still running the factory rounds, but have 20 gr vmaxs and lilgun for when they're gone.

todays fun...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fotis Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/16/12
I ordered one.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/16/12
which one?
Posted By: Fotis Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/17/12
Savage 25 walking varminter.

Also
brass
Hornady 20 Grain Flat Base Box of 500

dies etc

Care to share some of your loads?

What scope are you using?
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/17/12
Originally Posted by Fotis

Sorry, but you really screwed up! Should have got the Ruger ... much better platform. I guess you can always sell the Savage. grin
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/17/12
Must be quite a round if it de-scented that skunk! Last one I killed was with #4 buck out of a 12 ga. at 20 yards broadside, about 50 yards from the house. Momma wasn't happy. Killed the grass out in a 3 ft circle for most of the summer.
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Originally Posted by Fotis

Sorry, but you really screwed up! Should have got the Ruger ... much better platform. I guess you can always sell the Savage. grin

That is ok. I love my savages. Never ever regretted getting one and accuracy is beyond reproach.

Also I do not thing the ruger was worth 300 dollars more.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/17/12
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Must be quite a round if it de-scented that skunk! Last one I killed was with #4 buck out of a 12 ga. at 20 yards broadside, about 50 yards from the house. Momma wasn't happy. Killed the grass out in a 3 ft circle for most of the summer.

IME, it takes a CNS shot to keep a skunk from expelling any scent.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/17/12
Fotis: I got to see/inspect a box of factory ammunition this past week!
I REALLY liked the looks of the cartridge with its sharp shoulder and "normal" length neck!
I actually offered the "owner" of the ammo a DOLLAR for one round (and three friends with me all chimed in with the same offer!) but he would not sell.
I want one and am intent upon the Ruger 77/17H V/T model myself.
Anyway I was impressed with the cartridge and hope to have one by Christmas or by Super-Bowl Sunday.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/17/12
Fotis, Bodei has a savage, but he hasn't chimed in about it yet. Where did you find the savage for $400?

forgot to add, I've got a bushnell 3200 5-15x on 'er.
Here you go sir

Savage

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=317186467

Ruger
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=316745461

Report on savage

http://gunblast.com/Savage-25WV.htm

Any loads you want to share?

Posted By: RickyBobby Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/17/12
That Savage looked like $430 + $35 shipping + a transfer fee(unless you're a dealer).

So you are now pretty darn close to $500 mark.

... I'd say the Rugers are more like $200 higher, & well worth it in my opinion. grin
Not in mine.

I never ever had a savage that did not shoot well. Can not say the same about rugers.

Either way the ruger would have similar expenses by the time it got to me.

749 +3% CC fee + shipping + dealer fees......

I prefer the savage
Posted By: DeerTracker Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/18/12
I'm getting ready to. Have everything but the rifle. Gettin one built on a 77/22hornet action. Can't wait!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gerry35 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/18/12
Wow, I guess your motto is go big or go home smile Nice stash you have there.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/18/12
RickyBobby: Into my local smallish pawn/sport shop yesterday came TWO savage heavy barrel bolt action laminated stock Rifles (Model 25's ?) in 17 Hornet!
One sold the moment it came out of the carton as I was there to see that happen.
If I heard correctly it sold for $595.00 - I will verify that next week.
GunsAmerica has this same model configuration for $609.99 plus $20.00 shipping and the usual F.F.L. fees ($25.00 to $50.00?).
I also am holding out for a Ruger 77/17H V/T as the savage does not please me in several regards - although they (the savages) are noted for shooting well!
I better get busy prepping the stuff needed (dies, brass, powder etc) to have on hand when I do get the rotary magazine Ruger 77/17H V/T.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/18/12
Fotis: You need to get out more!
I have two recent accounts of savages not shooting "good" for your consideration!
The first was the $1,000.00+ savage bolt action extra heavy barrel "Target model" in 223 Remington.
My close friend and Hunting buddy (who is a retired gunsmith!) bought one last year in anticipation of an upcoming Prairie Dog Hunt. The Rifle shot well for the first 8 shots or so then the accuracy fell of immensely!
My friend owns a Hawkeye Borescope and put it to use on this Rifle - the resulting inspection was especially startling!
The lands and grooves BOTH contained tool marks and chattering!
His calls to savage went sour and he replaced the savage barrel with a Krieger - it now shoots fine and for extended strings!
The next example came from a similar savage that my 1,000 Bench Rest shooting buddy bought for long range Elk Hunting here in SW Montana this summer.
This Rifle was in caliber 338 LaPua Magnum and the inspection was the same, the problem was same and the solution was the same - cut losses and cut time constraints by replacing the savage barrel.
Don't infer that there is no such thing as a savage that does not shoot well - I know better!
And my opinion is not just based on these two examples - I have others but these are the most recent examples.
Indeed many savage Rifles are capable of good accuracy and that is probably the norm - but "savage" does not mean universal happiness with accuracy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/18/12
VarmintGuy,

Rough barrels obviously aren't uncommon in today's Savage rifles, but $5 worth of Dyna Bore Coat usually solves the fouling problem--or at least it has in every Savage barrel I've tried it on. DBC is a lot less expensive solution than a new barrel, but then despite the stuff being around for several years now (and a lot of good feedback from shooters) apparently many remain ignorant of its virtues.
Posted By: Fotis Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/18/12
I need to get out more huh? Been shooting them for decades. Never seen a bad one. Like I said when they stop pleasing me I will stop buying them.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/19/12
Mule Deer: Thanks for the tip on that product - I will try and permanently store it in my memory bank.
What are your thoughts on that products use and the "normal barrel life" of a factory barrel?
Does it shorten a barrels life noticeably?
Obviously most folks would rather have a Rifle that does not foul, and does maintain its accuracy for a normal length string of shots, even if the barrel life is shortened somewhat.
I am going to look that product up and read up on it.
Indeed I was one of the "ignorants" you referred to and now I know.
Thanks.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/19/12
DBC doesn't shorten barrel life, and may in fact extend it, though the jury's still out on that one. It lasts as long as the barrel; you only have to install it once.

It's basically tiny glass particles in a quick-drying liquid glue. You clean the bore to bare metal, degrease, then smear the DBC inside the bore with a patch or bore-brush. Wait half an hour for the glue to set, then shoot half a dozen rounds. The pressure and heat of the firing presses the glass into imperfections in the bore, and fouling is reduced considerably. The DBC folks claim at least 80% reduction, and in my experience they're right.

I put it in all my rodent rifle bores anymore, and can fire any of them several hundred rounds without cleaning--and when I do clean, it takes far less effort, solvent and time.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/19/12
John,

Curious if you've been around a 17 Hornet yet? I'm thinking a Ruger may be in my future. Should be up and running by p-dog season.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/19/12
the future is now....
I've been watching your exploits with the whorenat - looks like a good 'un! Mine isn't happening quite yet due to other krap I've recently bought needing payed off shocked.
Ruger did a pretty good job of cataloguing the rifle, and having them available shortly. I figured it would be a good while before rifles were out with the public.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/19/12
Billy,

No, I haven't shot the .17 Hornet yet. Was invited on the original Hornady/Savage PD shoot in Wyoming to introduce the cartridge but had a prior commitment.

Will probably end up with one since I have every other commercial .17, so why not another? May get a Ruger, or a Bullberry carbine barrel for the T/C Contender. Am kinda waiting to see what CZ does as well.
Posted By: Stoveman Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/19/12
By the way, are we thinking of this as a coyote round? Anyone shot anything bigger than a skunk w/it yet??? Just curious...
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/20/12
Whomped a big badger. Neck shot. I've been 2 mornings trying to call in a coyote, but it just hasn't happened. Yet....
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/20/12
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Billy,

No, I haven't shot the .17 Hornet yet. Was invited on the original Hornady/Savage PD shoot in Wyoming to introduce the cartridge but had a prior commitment.

Will probably end up with one since I have every other commercial .17, so why not another? May get a Ruger, or a Bullberry carbine barrel for the T/C Contender. Am kinda waiting to see what CZ does as well.

Neat. I'm thinking a Ruger 17 Hornet might be my Xmas present to myself.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/20/12
I had a custom built about 20 years ago on an Anschutz action. Lothar Walther (sp?) barrel. It was an excellent rifle that shot squirrels really really well. Zero recoil. Lots of interesting stories about the crack of the rifle and how it did not seem to affect game in the surrounding area like the 22 centerfires. Keep an eye on that as you play with yours. I had a tough time killing coyotes cleanly every time, but sometimes it was perfect, very dramatic. Shot placement really is critical on coyotes. Mine had a hair trigger which really helped accuracy. The clip on mine went from holding 5 to 4 when it got customized from 22 hornet to 17 hornet. I think you guys will enjoy them. To be honest, I always wished for more power, so the 17 Fireball would be my first choice now. I currently don't get to shoot varmints much, but keep a .221 Fireball for the task.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/20/12
One of my gopher shooting pards has been using the .17 Hornet on a custom for years. He also maintains the less noise keeps the gophs up, especially outside a certain radius( don't know what his calculations are...) I'm thinking there may be some merit to the concept....
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/20/12
One of my gopher shooting pards has been using the .17 Hornet on a custom for years. He also maintains the less noise keeps the gophs up, especially outside a certain radius( don't know what his calculations are...) I'm thinking there may be some merit to the concept....

Quick story on that-
Calling coyotes from an elevated rockpile in brushy terrain. Using a fawn bleat. 3 does were concerned and were working their way to me at about 75 yards. Out of the corner of my eye I see a coyote move. About 100 yards away he's spotted the does instead of me, so I swing slowly around and put one in his throat. Hunched up and toppled over. Looking back to the deer, I expect to see tails running, but they didn't miss a lick, just still slowly meandering my way. Only thing I can figure is I was hunting farm country and they were used to the various assorted bang clank noises of trucks, gates, and farm equipment, and this rifle shot fit inside their parameters of those noises. Saw the same thing with coyotes.
I hunted the same area with a 22-250 and finally had this rifle built due to increased settlements surrounding here. I promise you the 22-250 cleared the critters out in an area.
Another day, I called 4 coyotes and 1 bobcat from 5 stands in just a couple hours sweeping through this same area. The shots from the 17 Hornet did not break up the critters.
Interesting.....and duly noted.

One more bit of rationale for buying a 17 Hornet.... whistle
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/20/12
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Shot placement really is critical on coyotes

as per everything.......
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/20/12

Yep. A day on the dog town with a rifle burning 40 plus grains of powder, versus one burning 20 or less will make this readily apparent.

Doesn't take many shots with a Swift before you have to take advantage of it's flat trajectory, simply because everything close got sick of the noise and went underground. I find this really shows on a dog town that's been shot over a few times. A guy with a good 22 L.R. can often get quite a bit of shooting in on a town that's been picked over by the high power legions.
Glad to hear others have noticed it too....I havent used the hornet yet but in the last couple years Ive been shooting a .222 and thought I noticed more critters than when I was shooting the .223 or .204...
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/21/12
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Shot placement really is critical on coyotes

as per everything.......

Well, that's not exactly true with coyotes is it? A 22-250 to the azz kills them, but a 17 hornet to the azz don't real well. The 17 Hornet killed a bunch of coyotes for me, but I'm telling you shot placement is critical, and I think you all know what I mean. There's a difference between a 243 and a 17 Hornet. One is more forgiving than another.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/21/12
[Linked Image]
Posted By: roundoak Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/21/12
H22, a little story, please. How many yards, bullet placement, etc.?

Thanks

Wayne
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/21/12
[Linked Image]

There's what's known as a good coyote.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/21/12
125-130 yds off sticks. lunged, he ran a little ways before piling up.
Posted By: Stoveman Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/22/12
So, yes it IS a coyote round! Is brass available? Anyone tried necking down 22 hornet cases?
Posted By: Fotis Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/22/12
125-130 yds off sticks. lunged, he ran a little ways before piling up.

Your loads?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/22/12
factory loads still. maybe another week until I roll my own
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/22/12
hornady brass is available. some work 22 hornet brass, but I have already bought.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/22/12
Originally Posted by Stoveman
So, yes it IS a coyote round! Is brass available? Anyone tried necking down 22 hornet cases?

Mine was necessary since it was built 20 years ago! I fireformed them w/o bullets and a few grains of pistol powder, filler, cotton on top. A little touchy since the brass is thin, but it is manageable. Heck, I'd buy brass if it was available!!!
Posted By: Seafire Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/22/12
I've been looking around in a lot of stores for the Ruger 17 Hornet, but so far all I have seen is the Savage 25 so chambered, and I have to admit, it is not very impressive...

seems like it was made by the same people in China that made Moisant Nagants.... it has a Norinco feel to it ( translate that as JUNK )
Posted By: Stoveman Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/22/12
I had a Savage 25 in 223 some years ago, and I didn't like the plastic magazine among other things, did have a less than solid feel. It was one of the most accurate guns I've ever owned though, and I wish I'd kept it!
Posted By: Fotis Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/23/12
Cool!
I got the bullets brass scope and rings. Tomorrow I get the 17 Hornet Rifle,

Lots of primers and LILgun !
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/23/12
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Yep. A day on the dog town with a rifle burning 40 plus grains of powder, versus one burning 20 or less will make this readily apparent.

Think 10.8 gr 4198, IIRC
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/23/12

Think 10.8 gr 4198, IIRC

Lots of 17AH shooters are using 1680 (myself included).
Don't see why It wouldn't work in Hornady's version too.

Agree with you about the 17H not being a viable Coyote round.
Yea, it'll kill one but so will a 22LR under "perfect" cercumstances.
I know some hard core Fox hunters that swear by it, but there's a BIG difference between a Fox and a Coyote.
If people want to shoot Coyotes with it, it's really none of my buisness. I just hope for the Coyotes benefit they use a good bullet and choose their shots carefully.

One things certain though.
It's a real over achiever where small game is concerned and everyone that enjoys a mild mannered, accurate cartrige should own one reguardless of their choice in manufacturers.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/24/12

Think 10.8 gr 4198, IIRC

Not what I was referring to, but thanks.

Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/24/12
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fotis Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/26/12
Ran quick load. 10.2 grains of LIL gun will get you 3655 fps with the 20 gr Hornady.
Posted By: Weatherby10 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/28/12
Looking good with that ruger friend! Nice shooting
Posted By: Claybirds Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/29/12
Well hopefully my dealer has a Ruger on it's way to me for my Christmas present to myself. cool

Was looking at buying some brass for reloading and realized that they are running around .60 each for just the brass, so that would be $15 for a box of 25.

I found that Midsouth is selling the loaded ammo for $16.29 + shipping for a box of the Hornady 20 grainers, it would seem that it's a better deal to get the loaded stuff, seems like it would cost more if you buy the components and roll your own, am I right in thinking this way?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/29/12
[Linked Image]
Posted By: FyrepowrX Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/29/12
never tried the Hornady variation, but have had rather a lot of fun exploding crows with a 17Ackley hornet over the years.

like Fieldgrade said, it is an overachiever on small game...1680 smoked along nicely in my guns too.

last couple of years i have been hooked on the 17Fireball, but the i really need to get back into the 17AH again.

saw CZ says theirs will be out soon...

http://cz-usa.blogspot.com/2012/09/cz-527-in-17-hornet-available-jan-2013.html

Posted By: ratsmacker Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/30/12
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX
never tried the Hornady variation, but have had rather a lot of fun exploding crows with a 17Ackley hornet over the years.

like Fieldgrade said, it is an overachiever on small game...1680 smoked along nicely in my guns too.

last couple of years i have been hooked on the 17Fireball, but the i really need to get back into the 17AH again.

saw CZ says theirs will be out soon...

http://cz-usa.blogspot.com/2012/09/cz-527-in-17-hornet-available-jan-2013.html

Yep, that's the one I'm waiting on. I've got three 527s, and love 'em.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 11/30/12
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Weatherby10 Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/01/12
Ruger was and is my vote, I put a Volquartsen sear and extended magazine release in and the trigger went from about 6-7 pounds to 1.75 and it made a world of difference! As soon as I get a scope on it I will give a follow report
Posted By: bracer Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/01/12
The Jan 2013 No 266 Rifle magazine starting on page 28 is an artical about the Ruger 77/22 Hornet, CZ Model 527, and Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter rifles 22 Hornet rifles. I hear the same models will or have come out in the 17 Hornady Hornet. I have 17 HM2, 17 HMR, 17 Fireball,and 17 Remington rifles but I wont to try the 17 Hornet. Most all of my shooting is at prairie dogs . Looking at the trajectory data for the 20 GR bullet with the scope set at a 1.5 inch point blank range it should be a ideal prairie dog pup shooting rifle for shots out to about 275 yards. That is if I can get what ever rifle get to shoot 1/2 inch five shot 100 yards 100 yard groups. I live in prairie dog country so I go home when it gets windy.
Posted By: Dasher Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/01/12
Here is a 17 Hornady Hornet we just did for a customer. Says he loves it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dasher Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/01/12
Heres a 17 Ackley Hornet I did for me. Got to use it once before someone had to have it. laugh
Super fun little rifles!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/03/12
Weatherby10: Looking forward to your "range report" I hope your Rifle shoots well for you!
I had better get a Volquartsen sear/spring kit ordered up for when I find a Ruger 77/17 Hornet heavy barrel.
That is an impressive improvement in trigger pull you achieved there.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/03/12
Bracer: I am a "17 caliber believer" myself - as you obviously are.
I am getting the hots real bad for a 17 Hornet of my own.
I just got done with a shopping tour of Helena, Montanas gunshops, sporting goods stores, pawn shops and I had no luck with a Ruger 17 Hornet at all.
I am heading for Butte, Montana shops tomorrow or the next day - wish me luck!
I also own Varmint guns in 17 Mach2, 17 HMR, 17 MachIV, 17 Fireball and 17 Remington - the 17 Hornet is just going to be the frosting on my 17 caliber cake!
I am sure.
I will look forward to seeing that January issue of Rifle magazine.
Thanks for the heads up on that - I let my subscription to that one run out some time ago, but the local grocery store here in Dillon, Montana carries it and when I see an interesting/pertinent article I buy it from them.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/03/12
Gotta have me a CZ 527 in .17 Hornet. Got 2 other 527's in Hornet and Fireball, and see a .17 in my future soon.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/03/12
the whoregnat scored again.x2.....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/05/12
Cool!
Anyone have a lead on a Ruger 17 Hornet?
Posted By: Weatherby10 Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/06/12
If you live near a sportsmans warehouse, they had some in Albuquerque NM they could could transfer in to you for a shipping fee
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/06/12
Hurry up, wby10, ya got some catchin' up to do......

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DELGUE Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/07/12
huntsman, you're flat tearin' it up with that thing, ain'tcha!!!
Posted By: DELGUE Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/07/12
Cool!

Were it me, I'd try calling Scheel's or Big Bear in Great Falls.

Plus a couple on Gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=320621695

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=320443104
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/07/12
Originally Posted by DELGUE
huntsman, you're flat tearin' it up with that thing, ain'tcha!!!

Ain't nobody else around here to stretch her legs......
Posted By: Weatherby10 Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/08/12
Well took my ruger equipped with a leupold vx II 6-18 sigted it in and was getting 1" groups at 100 consistently today, not to bas as it was 35 degrees today and I was trying not to skate like a leaf, I have 950 pieces of brass and getting the rest of my equipment in on Monday, I believe with a little help with reloads this thing is gonna be a shooter!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/08/12
good deal.....
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/08/12
Originally Posted by DELGUE
Cool!

Were it me, I'd try calling Scheel's or Big Bear in Great Falls.

Plus a couple on Gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=320621695

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=320443104

Thanks for the help fellas.
I found one....but I might have to drive to Casper for it. I'm not in too big of a hurry, as I'm in coyote/cat hunting mode for the winter, and won't get to the serious killing fields until spring.
This puppy was made for cats.....hit the road to casper, pard. A few good cat's will pay for it.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 222Sako Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/08/12
We need to restrict you from posting your kills on more than one forum.....you make the rest of us feel inadequate..show off grin
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/08/12
This puppy was made for cats.....hit the road to casper, pard. A few good cat's will pay for it.

You are absolutely correct. This peer pressure and your pics are helping to sway my decision to wait! smile
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/10/12
Good record on the critters going here. Lotsa fun huh?!
Posted By: KSQUACKER Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/10/12
Got the Ruger 77 a couple weeks age. I have only shot the V-maxs to this point. Shot 1/2" groups at 100. Called Lee Reloading to see if they would make a case length trimmer. The throat is too small and they will not be making one. I may have to switch methods on trimming!

Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/10/12
I'm using the Forster with the 17 cutter shaft....
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/10/12
It's getting harder to wait for the CZ...

Nice work Huntsman.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/11/12
I'm using the Forster with the 17 cutter shaft....

That's what I used also.
Posted By: Fotis Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/11/12
Lee will make one down to 22 cal. I begged for a 20 for my 204 ruger.... no dice!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/17/12
C,mon Fotis. You got some catching up, to do......

[Linked Image]
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/17/12
KSQUACKER: Is your Rifle the 77/17 Hornet heavy barrel?
I am excited that your Rifle is shooting so well for you already!
Are your "V-max's" factory ammunition by the way?
I use the Wilson case trimmer for my 17 and 20 caliber case trimming (as well as all other calibers!) - it works wonderfully well on the tiny cases.
The fine folks at Wilson will make you a "case holder" for the 17 Hornet case rather quickly, based on my past dealings with them on "wildcat" cartridges that have gone factory.
I just got home from a lengthy trip to the west coast and I could not find a Ruger 77/17 Hornet Varmint model anywhere!
I guess I am going to have to get on a list somewhere?
Wishing you continued happiness with your 17 Hornet.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
check these out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2F1rad7OUo

Whats the last thing ya hear a Redneck say..."Hey, Watch This!!" crazy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G86tzpmYokU
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/21/12
VG, PG, Davidsons has the ruger in stock. $690, best hurry...
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/23/12
Not familiar with Davidsons ... can you purchase directly from them or are they wholesale only? Do they have a website?

I might have to treat myself for X-Mas! grin

Thanks.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/23/12
They have an arrangement whereby you can buy from them and have it shipped to your local dealer, who gets a cut, but it is still a tad less than if he had it in stock....
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/23/12
How does a person get in contact with this Davidsons?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 12/30/12
couple more

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 01/11/13
Cool!

There is a ruger like mine at a local shop. Priced at 719

the Firing Line in Aurora CO. They'll ship......
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 01/11/13
forgot my latest.....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: seven_miller Re: 17 Hornet? - 01/12/13
Can you please give us some more insight on your coyote kills with that whoregnat? Placement, expansion, penetration, etc...
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 01/12/13
all were lunged. all penetrated enuff to get said lungs, and not come out the other side. didn't autopsy to look at expansion.....
Posted By: seven_miller Re: 17 Hornet? - 01/12/13
Thanks. Have you given thought to what you might consider the limits of this cartridge on coyotes in regards to range or angle?
Yeah. My 'limits' are just that. Mine. They'll most likely be different than others. I reckon most would say under 200 on a broadside. And would probably not be wrong.
Posted By: DoubleUp Re: 17 Hornet? - 01/12/13
Huntsman22 are you loading your own yet, or shooting factory? You've probably already said, but didn't want to read all the back pages. In any event what load(s) are you liking best for the coyotes you have shot? Thanks
Yup, I'm loading for it now. 10 gr lilgun under a 20 v-max. There may be a better coyote load, but the vmax and hornet are a match made in heaven. And I'll not screw with success......
Posted By: DoubleUp Re: 17 Hornet? - 01/13/13
Gotcha huntsman, good to know. That's a lot of loads at 10gr.
Posted By: Bodei Re: 17 Hornet? - 01/13/13
What primer you using? Do you have chrono data? I have a can of LilGun and A1680. Will load some hornets this week.
Posted By: laker Re: 17 Hornet? - 01/14/13
Huntsman22 how many coyotes have you tipped over with your 17 hornet? Do they run alittle distance or do they basically drop on the spot.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 01/14/13
5 so far. 2 ran a ways, the others never quivered. bodei, cc1 400's
Posted By: birddog65 Re: 17 Hornet? - 01/15/13
Could you compare that to a 22 Hornet loaded with a 35 or 40 grain V-Max at 2900-3000 FPS? I just don't get it. Thanks, Mark.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 01/15/13
Smaller dia. bullet(.172) that weighs 15-20 gr less than yours, at 3600+ fps. That's the comparison. Faster, flatter and funner. Only cool kids are allowed to have them. Sorry you was left out.......Get it now? Your welcome. Don
Posted By: birddog65 Re: 17 Hornet? - 01/16/13
Don, I meant killing power, range, how do they compare? I'm not your wife that you got to BS to buy one!!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 01/16/13
I reckon I'm partial to the 17 version, altho for what they are, they both kill outta perportion to their size/capacities....
Posted By: Pslyke Re: 17 Hornet? - 01/27/13
While I have not quite had the success huntsman22 has had with his- I am very partial to the .17 Hornet- I had mine built on a ruger action about a year ago (I have a thread here about it). I love the upgrade in power over the HMR and yet I still have no recoil and thus can easily see my shots through the scope...which is, in my opinion, the most fun part about varmint hunting. For how small those bullets are, they are extremely destructive as they violently expand on contact which does seem to allow it to kill out of proportion to their size!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 02/04/13
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: 17 Hornet? - 02/05/13
Veddy Veddy cool Don!
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 17 Hornet? - 02/05/13
Swift fox! So cool. There are supposed to be some around here; I've never seen one.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 02/05/13
after living in swift habitat for 25 years or so, that is only the second one I've ever got.....you think bobcats are secretive......
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 17 Hornet? - 02/05/13
I would mount it! Or at least tan the hide.
I have my first one on the wall. in the middle of the hatrack bull. The boss is doing a full mount with this'un....for display in the main house.

[Linked Image]
Alla this talk about swifties reminds me, that 2 falls ago, during deer season I found a swift that a pair of coyotes played tug-o-war with. The front half was about 50 yds from the back half. they didn't even chow down.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: atvalaska Re: 17 Hornet? - 02/08/13
there u gone and done it ...i need a .17 hornet.....
Posted By: Partagas Re: 17 Hornet? - 02/09/13
perfect for artic fox
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: 17 Hornet? - 02/10/13
I would mount it!

Well, we heard that about you, but didn't want to say anything. Some folks are sensitive about such matters, which are best not spoken of, in good company. laugh laugh
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 Hornet? - 03/13/13
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire