Home
Posted By: 300_savage VMax vs. ZMax - 12/11/12
Is there a true difference between these bullets, or is it just marketing and a different color tip? My .223 consistently shoots 50 grain VMaxes with about 1/4" smaller groups than the 50 grain ZMax, all other load parameters being the same. I'm wondering if I've just not shot enough groups for statistical significance, or if there is really some difference in the bullets. Other's experiences wanted!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: VMax vs. ZMax - 12/11/12
I've not been able to tell any difference, other than color.
Posted By: wyohunter99 Re: VMax vs. ZMax - 12/12/12
They are the same.... Just a big marketing ploy with all this zombie crap.
Posted By: bearstalker Re: VMax vs. ZMax - 12/12/12
The Zmax bullets are cheaper from what I've seen. I wonder why? I'd be curious if they were blems. Not that there is anything wrong with blems!
Posted By: Seafire Re: VMax vs. ZMax - 12/12/12
ya know, if they are blems, and then someone at Hornady wised up and figured we could sell a ton of rejects, just by putting a Lime Green Plastic Tip on it and sell them to all those "Zombie Nuts"... that guy ought to be named "Marketing Guy of the Decade"...
Posted By: deflave Re: VMax vs. ZMax - 12/12/12
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Is there a true difference between these bullets, or is it just marketing and a different color tip? My .223 consistently shoots 50 grain VMaxes with about 1/4" smaller groups than the 50 grain ZMax, all other load parameters being the same. I'm wondering if I've just not shot enough groups for statistical significance, or if there is really some difference in the bullets. Other's experiences wanted!

In my experience there are no differences in performance on critters or in the accuracy department.

They are simply the V-Max relabeled. The only exception was the 30 cal bullet they offered was an A-Max, but they seem to have dropped that one. This info is per Hornady.

Travis
Posted By: Prwlr Re: VMax vs. ZMax - 12/13/12
The green tips only work on the already "dead". laugh
Posted By: mav007 Re: VMax vs. ZMax - 12/13/12
Have done quite a bit of testing with the 32g Vmax and Zmax in my cooper 20vt. They weight the same, look the same, BUT for me the Vmax consistently had much better groups, haven't got a clue why. Same cases, loads. primers even had a friend load them so I didn't know what i was shooting. The difference was significant enough that I returned a 1000 zmax and spent the extra for the vmax.
My 2cents
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: VMax vs. ZMax - 12/13/12
Just today shot a Krico 223 for the first time using Hornady factory ammo and the two different bullets mentioned. The Zombie ammo shot 3/4" vs. Superformance ammo went 2 1/2"! BIG difference in the factory loadings in my rifle. No handloading of the bullets themselves to this point.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: VMax vs. ZMax - 12/14/12
mav007, sounds like your experience is similar to mine. Thanks to everyone sharing their experience and information.
© 24hourcampfire