Home
Posted By: mygirlhunts Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/16/12
What is the ultimate 6mm cartridge? Going to build a 6mm varmint rifle and just wanted some opinions. So is it the 240wby, 6mmAI, 6mm-284 what do you guys think and why?
Posted By: RickF Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/17/12
Ultimate what? Do you want accuracy? Speed? Barrel life?
Posted By: mygirlhunts Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/17/12
I want ultimate, not the fastest or the longest barrel life or any one thing, that can all be researched, as stated before I want some opinions, future responders please read the op before commenting
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/17/12
Originally Posted by mygirlhunts
I want ultimate, not the fastest or the longest barrel life or any one thing, that can all be researched, as stated before I want some opinions, future responders please read the op before commenting

Then reasearch it and decide what trips your trigger as the ultimate. What a maroon!!!!!

Swifty
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/17/12

6BR or 6XC....
Posted By: mygirlhunts Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/17/12
Swiftly after your mom and her brother conceived you and decided that you did not need a education did you never learn what an opinion was? I asked for peoples opinion...read the first post, it clearly says what do you guys think and why? What is your opinion, like I said I can research the facts I wanted a opinion dip s**t thank you for not providing one it would of clearly been a mistake to value yours.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/17/12
Originally Posted by tikkanut

6BR or 6XC....
I vote the 6 BR but for shear acuracy a 6ppc and to the OP you need to un twist your tail a bit or are going to find the place a very unfreindly place wink
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/17/12
Swiftly after your mom and her brother conceived you and decided that you did not need a education did you never learn what an opinion was? I asked for peoples opinion...read the first post, it clearly says what do you guys think and why? What is your opinion, like I said I can research the facts I wanted a opinion dip s**t thank you for not providing one it would of clearly been a mistake to value yours.

Wow, at least I am not a [bleep] idiot who has to come on a web site to determine what my ultimate 6mm is. Only a totalally ignorant dip chit would do that. I suppose you still say Mommy may I.

Ignorant [bleep] head
Posted By: JAP Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/17/12
Varmint rifle, my choice is 6mmBR. I'd like to have two one with a 1-14" twist barrel, and the other a 1-8"
Posted By: bea175 Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/17/12
The Ultimate is the 6mm Remington, it gives good barrel life,and great accuacy with almost the speed you get from the bigger 6mm cases. I'm now in the process of building a 6mm-06 , since i already have a 6mm Rem, 243 Win, and 240 Wby. I like the 24's.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/17/12
even tho I have more than several 243s... my favorite 6mm cartridge after playing with a host of them is the good old 6mm Rem... when chambered in a long action.. so that you can take advantage of the extra magazine length...

sure an Ai version is supposed to be a little faster... but in a long action, mine with a 1 in 7 twist barrel will pretty much take care of about anything I need it to do..

from 55 grain Ballistic Tips to 115 grain Bergers....
Posted By: Ackman Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/17/12
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Then reasearch it and decide what trips your trigger as the ultimate. What a maroon!!!!!

Swifty

+1
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/17/12
The 6mm rem would fit your needs.
Posted By: Dasher Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/17/12
Just do a 6mm-300WSM with a 14 or 16 twist laugh
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/17/12
Mygirlhunts: I enjoy all of the 6mm's myself and own a bunch of them.
Including a custom 240 Weatherby built on a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 action by Jim Cloward and a 6mm Remington Ackley Improved built on a Remington 700 action by Darrell Holland.
I have personally passed on the 6mm/284 due to the extremely short barrel life several of my close friends have suffered with when using this cartridge.
Hmmm... "the ultimate 6mm cartridge"?
I also have been extremely happy with my Varmint Rifles in calibers 6mm PPC, 6x47, 6mm Remington Bench Rest, 243 Winchester and 6mm Remington.
I would be hard pressed to name just one of these as the "ultimate" 6mm.
If a combination of accuracy, Colony Varminting and predator Hunting was the objective then I would most likely opt for the 6mm Remington Bench Rest or the 243 Winchester.
If Antelope and Deer Hunting were ever to be considered then the 240 Weatherby is number one on my list virtually tied there with the 6mm Remington Ackley Improved and closely followed by the 6mm Remington.
If all of the above criterion (from Prairie Dogs to Deer) are to be considered then a 243 Winchester that shoots small and large bullets well will fill the bill.
If you are choosing one of the 6mm's to be the "ultimate" then my opinion is somewhat undecided, I guess, and I wish you the best of luck with whichever you choose.
With todays variety of wonderful bullets in a multitude of weights the 6mm's are indeed a very versatile batch of calibers.
Again best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: lanenebraska Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/17/12
.243 works for me smile
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/17/12
Originally Posted by Dasher

then what....... confused
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/17/12
244 AI works for me.And I've had some others.
Posted By: drover Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/18/12
The buying public has already spoken on this subject it is the 243 Winchester, the most popular 6mm cartridge. It is the only 6mm cartridge to make the top 10 in sales of reloading dies. Given that status it is the ultimate.

ultimate - definition (dictionary.com)
maximum; decisive; conclusive: the ultimate authority; the ultimate weapon.

drover
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/18/12
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by Dasher

then what....... confused

Then this 6mm-50BMG. pic is a 22 laugh

[Linked Image]

Make it a 12-13 twist for 55-75 grainers.

Swifty
Posted By: RickF Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/18/12

In your arrogant haste to be dismissive, what you missed is that I was trying to help. NO cartridge is the ultimate, they are all a compromise of the things in my first post.

If you had provided details of exactly what you wanted to accomplish with that cartridge, we could have helped. Instead guys are reduced to telling what works for them, as they have no idea of what you want to do.
Posted By: johnfox Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/18/12
'nother one joins my 'ignore' list..
Posted By: GTN Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/19/12
I lost nights of sleep on this same subject recently for a current build I am doing. I was trying to decide between the .243AI, 6mmAI and 6mm Rem. I finally decided that it just was not worth the trouble or small gain for me to fire form and anneal brass for the AI's over the 6mm Rem. So I decided to go with the 6mm Rem. I may regret it but for now I have made my descion. I can always have it reamed to a 6mmAI if I am not satisfied. So the gun is being built on a Rem 700 SS action. Will get a full blueprinting job, #5.5 Shilen select match barrel, Jewell trigger set at 1lb, and either a B&C madalist tactical or a HS stock hadn't made my mind up which furniture it's gonna wear but I have both.

I know some people here like the Shilens and some don't but I have had nothing but success with them and have used several other barrel makers as well, shilen was simply available as well. I think it's kind of like buying a new car, they all make good ones but once in a while there will be a bad one. I don't think the barrel builders this day and age have very many bad ones though. In fact I think it is a very rare occasion. So what do I pick Ford, Chevy, Toyota AH so many choices and options and they all say they are the best.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/19/12
I would also rate the 6mm Rem as the best 6mm available, it should have been much more poular than is was.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/19/12
Gerrygoat: I agree with you enthusiastically in your contention that the 6mm Remington should have been much more popular and long lived than it has been.
I was just reading this week (I forget in which publication!) that the 6mm Remington gives much longer barrel life than the 243 Winchester due to its case design/longer neck etc.
I believe that the article was in the latest issue of Varmint Hunter Magazine now that I think about it - in an article on internal ballistics IIRC.
I once owned a Remington 40X Rangemaster in 6mm Remington - it was a dandy and shot VERY well.
I had it a year or two when along came a chance to buy an exact same Rifle that was new but in caliber 243 Winchester - in my infinite wisdom of the time (1975-ish) I thought to myself well I can sell the 6mm 40X to a friend who wants it and add about $75.00 more to get the new 243 40X and I will have longer barrel life for my then extensive Prairie Dog Hunting.
So I made the deals - back then I did not have the discretionary funds that I have now.
I wish though that I had kept that 6mm Remington 40X as well!
I still have the 243 40X and it still shoots quite well but
I often think about that 6mm 40X and wish I had not sold it.
Indeed the 6mm Remington is a fine cartridge.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: 257robertsimp Re: Ultimate 6mm ? - 12/20/12
The 6mm Remington is my favorite 6mm. When remington introduced the 244 slightly ealier than the 243, The barrels installed on their rifles had too slow of a twist rate to stabilize heavier bullets. In the meantime the 243 emerged with a faster twist rate and would shoot the 117's better. the 243 became more popular than the 244. By the time Remington re-configured the 244 and re-named the round the 6mm remington it was to late and the 243 already had a strong foothold. Any good handloader will get much more from the 6mm than the 243.
© 24hourcampfire