Home
I am interested in hearing your experiences with and opinions of the Hornady 53 grain VMax.

What twist rate needed to stabilize?

Did the advertised high BC actually hold up?

What terminal performance, especially on fur?

Use 'em in a heavy 223AI...12 twist...very effective/accurate

still explosive hits @ 700+ yds...BC higher than the Nosler 55

BT...estimated velocity 3600 fps...my go to p/dog bullet
No problems in my 1:12 Remington. As accurate as the 50's I was using and flatter shooting than the 40's.
Interesting....the tight twist boys been telling me otherwise, so I havent tried them....gonna have to give them a spin...so to speak. grin
They won't stabilize in a 1 in 14 twist... other than that, they are pretty darn accurate... I am standardizing on them over having the 50 and 55 V Maxes... I am also using them in my 22.250 with a one in 7 twist, behind a charge of 30 grains of RL 7...

flat shooting to WAAAAY out there...
They work well in my 1-12" .223 Rem.

They shoot under .25" for the most part if i do my part. I cant wait to pop some ground squirrels with them to see how they perform.

Now if i could just find some... i need more if anyone has a line on some.
So, would a 14 twist in 22-250 make them work?
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

They are long & sleek...BC of .290...I'd say a 14T might be too slow...

If you like..PM me your adress..I'll send you 3 to try....if they keyhole

your 14 is too slow...I run 'em at 3600 in a 12T....
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

No... sorry
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
They work well in my 1-12" .223 Rem.

They shoot under .25" for the most part if i do my part. I cant wait to pop some ground squirrels with them to see how they perform.

Now if i could just find some... i need more if anyone has a line on some.

Marty, they are on the shelves at BiMart.. in the 223 panic after the CT shooting, the V Maxes are still on the shelf.. I don't think many AR guys want Varmint bullets..
Originally Posted by Seafire

Marty, they are on the shelves at BiMart.. in the 223 panic after the CT shooting, the V Maxes are still on the shelf.. I don't think many AR guys want Varmint bullets..

Is this as of today? When i called them last week they didnt have any.
Just got home with a box of them...figure 5 boxes will get me thru summer varmint season...

they still had a couple of the shelves, and they also had a lot of the other 22 cal Hornady Bullets back on the shelf...

primers aren't being shipped right now...
I just picked up 2 boxes of 60 gr Vmax today to shoot from my AR ...they had the 53gr Vmax on the shelf as well
I haven't notice any accuracy different in 1:12 compared to the 50's.
THey shot well out of a 12 twist 700 and 9 twist AR. Hits on pdogs were nothing to brag about. Most hits looked liked misses. Dogs just slumped. No blow ups. And these were fast from Superformance factory loads.
Do they have to blow up?
They work well in my Cooper 22-250.

[Linked Image]
I do not have any copies of my friends targets shot with the 53 vmax . His gun is a 788 in 22-250 w 1-14 twist. Shot very good groups with Varget.
Originally Posted by dukxdog
They work well in my Cooper 22-250.

[Linked Image]

Nice.

38 to 38.5 grs H-380, get off the lands 5 to 15 thou. Should tighten the groups on that Cooper real well. Should go .25 or better for 5

I do not have a target to post.
the 53 vmax shoots great in my cheap beater gun,
stevens 200 in 223 with 9 twist and I used ar comp powder.
1-14 in a 222 will give you nice round holes but I had to fight to get a consistant inch.
© 24hourcampfire