Home
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 all around 243 Loads - 07/04/13
I've Had A 670a For A Few Years. Decided it Was Time To Start Loading.

It Will Be A Truck Gun, MaBe Killing JaveliNa, Rabbits, Coyotes.

Looking For Cheap Bullets To Load.... Maybe Soft Points, Vmax? What Powders?
Posted By: boomtube Re: all around 243 Loads - 07/04/13
Remington or Hornady 100 sp over one of the 4350s.
Posted By: Darkker Re: all around 243 Loads - 07/04/13
CFE and 760 do very well in my 243. "One" bullet and powder isn't better than another. One maybe better in YOUR gun, but we can't tell YOU what your gun likes; only you can.
I Understand That, LookingForStarting Points
Posted By: PaleRider Re: all around 243 Loads - 07/04/13
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
I've Had A 670a For A Few Years. Decided it Was Time To Start Loading.

It Will Be A Truck Gun, MaBe Killing JaveliNa, Rabbits, Coyotes.

Looking For Cheap Bullets To Load.... Maybe Soft Points, Vmax? What Powders?

Back before we had all the newer modern bullets that are available these days, I shot a lot of Speer 90gr Hotcore bullets in a 243 W. and an old 244 Remington (6mm Rem. before they changed the name), primarily because the 244 had a slow twist 1-12" twist barrel and would not stabilize 100gr bullets.
The Speers were never quite as accurate as some of the others like the Hornady Interlocks and Sierras, but worked well in both guns and would average about 3/4" groups in both pretty easy ; they worked well on everything from ground squirrels, crows,rabbits, coyotes, hogs & deer.
I think Speer still makes those bullets & have heard they are more accurate now than the old Hotcores were.
Pretty hard to beat a Hornady IL for an inexpensive all around softpoint. They are surprisingly accurate and just plain work.
These days I'd probably go with a 95gr Nosler Ballistic Tip for an all around bullet in a 243 W. if you want a hunting bullet. They are as accurate as the varmint bullets and will just hammer hogs and deer as well.
If you need lead free, the 80 & 85gr barnes are good, as are the Hornady GMX bullets ; just not as cheap.
If you get into fast twist barrels and long range bullets things are different, but it doesn't sound like that's what you are looking for.

Lots of powders shoot well in a 243 W., but it seems I always come back to IMR 4350 (and it shoots well in other cartridges I shoot as well, so that's a plus).

A load that has shot very well for me in several 243 W.s is as follows:
Winchester Case
Win. Large Rifle Primer
95gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet
41.0 grs of IMR 4350 powder (a little under Nosler book max. load)
2.708" overall length (book max. length = 2.710")- This length just shoots exceptionally well in one rifle, and very good in a couple of others, so I stayed with that length for all. Vary to what your rifle likes or needs due to throat length.

This load clocks a little over 3000fps in a couple of guns with 22" bbls.

If looking for a Varmint bullet, the 70gr Nosler Ballistic Tip over Varget powder is a great choice, but not sure how they would hold up on the Javelina ; they are hard on rabbits and coyotes though.

Good Luck whatever you decide,
-Ted smile
Posted By: gemby58 Re: all around 243 Loads - 07/04/13
My dual purpose load from ground hogs to deer is 45gr of RL 19, winchester case, remingon 9 1/2 primer and the Sierra 85gr HPBT, killed a truck load of deer with this load, around 3300 fps + or - out of 3 different 243 and it you just want a deer killer switch to a Barnes 80gs TTSX
That Sierra Sounds Good!

I HavE H4350On hand
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: all around 243 Loads - 07/05/13
I sure second the Sierra 85 HPBT. It is a rare 243 that won't shoot that bullet.
Posted By: GregW Re: all around 243 Loads - 07/05/13
But it has a very poor BC...

A 95 grain Ballistic would be a good all around'er or a standard cup n core 100 grain variety...

Greg, Thus Won't Be A Lr Gun, And Mainly A Truck Gun For Scouting Etc.

The Ballistic Tip Was One Of The First Across My Mind.

DoeS R17 Work For This Application? I've Got 2#.
Posted By: GregW Re: all around 243 Loads - 07/05/13
Absolutely -

Run a 100 grain cup n' core...
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: all around 243 Loads - 07/05/13
87 VMAX if pretty handy at handling what you need done too. Reasonable BC, usually accurate and specacular graphics.
95gr Nosler Ballistic tips 's over H4831.
Posted By: JSH Re: all around 243 Loads - 07/06/13
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
95gr Nosler Ballistic tips 's over H4831.

I like this, the 90gr Ballistic Tip, or maybe even the 87gr VMax if you want faster expansion.
I know tradition states 4350 is the powder to beat but I am becoming a big fan of H4831 with the heavier bullets in the 243.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: all around 243 Loads - 07/06/13
95 grain NBT for everything.
75 grain VMax or 70 grain NBT for most everything.
I am a big h4831 fan and I have a couple pounds on hand.

Would anyone have any ballistic tips spare that I could give a run?
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: all around 243 Loads - 07/06/13
I use 70 grain NBT's with 42.0 grains of VarGet and WLR primers. Just get 3345 fps from a 22" barrel.
I have shot the 85 grain Serria HPBT in most of my 6mm's and .243's.. I have recently shot 65 Vmax 70Serria BK.. I still like the 85.. I also plan to do some shooting with Bergers in 85 grain and Noslers in 95 grain BTBT.. But this minute if I were picking a bullet for my .243 it would be the Serria 85 grain HPBT..and either I4350 or I4831..
Posted By: Calif. Hunter Re: all around 243 Loads - 07/07/13
I have used the 80 gr PSP Rem factory loads for javelina just because I had several boxes. My usual load for my .243 is a 70 gr Sierra Blitzking over 42 gr of Varget. It shoots well under an inch for 3 shots at 100 yards consistently.
Have Any Extra Of Those Bthp I Could Try?
Posted By: stomatador Re: all around 243 Loads - 07/07/13
I like the 80gr NBT with R15 but Varget is almost identical in performance.
Posted By: 2ndtimer Re: all around 243 Loads - 07/08/13
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Greg, Thus Won't Be A Lr Gun, And Mainly A Truck Gun For Scouting Etc.

The Ballistic Tip Was One Of The First Across My Mind.

DoeS R17 Work For This Application? I've Got 2#.

I am running Reloder 17 with the 90 gr Ballistic Tip (or 90 gr Speer Deep Shok, or 90 gr Speer Deep Curl) in my own search for an all around load for the .243 Winchester. So far the Sako A-7 seems to prefer the mild load the best, 39.0 gr with a Federal 210 primer for about 2,950 fps on the chronograph. The bullet can be pushed to over 3200 fps, but not at the same accuracy level, at least not in my rifle. So far, the Deep Curl seems to be a little more accurate than the Nosler Ballistic Tip, but the Nosler edges out the Deep Shok by a good margin. I think I will just load the Deep Curls until they are gone, then switch to the Ballistic Tips. Actually, the 2950 fps velocity should work pretty well for deer and antelope while still providing decent performance (and good practice) on coyotes and rock chucks.
The 90 Deep.Curl.Is Kind Of What I Have Been Eyeing. Im Hopin 17 Works, But.I Have.A.pound(But Only A Pound) Of.h4350.
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: all around 243 Loads - 07/09/13
Sierra 85 gr, IMR 4064
© 24hourcampfire