Home
Posted By: Obi_Wan 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/14/16
Never shot anything but factory ammo in my 6mm. I'd like to reload, but wondering what is considered a great whitetail bullet for the 6mm.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/15/16
the 95 nosler ballistic tip is a great one.
A couple of other favorites are 95 partitions and the 100 grain hornady interlock
Posted By: RWE Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/15/16
100gr SGK #1560
Posted By: JPro Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/15/16
For me, the 95 or 100gr Partition was always a great performer. Many will mention good cup/cores that have treated them well, but I've caught enough 95-110gr .24 and .25cal cup/cores in deer to warrant staying with sturdier bullets in those calibers. I like exit holes, so give me a Partition or mono-construction bullet in this case. Performance has been reliable when shot angles become a little less than perfect.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/15/16
Hands down the Barnes TTSX 80 grain.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/15/16
The guys here talked me into using the Nosler 95 grain Ballistic Tip. It has been excellent accuracy and performance wise.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/15/16
Originally Posted by JPro
For me, the 95 or 100gr Partition was always a great performer. Many will mention good cup/cores that have treated them well, but I've caught enough 95-110gr .24 and .25cal cup/cores in deer to warrant staying with sturdier bullets in those calibers. I like exit holes, so give me a Partition or mono-construction bullet in this case. Performance has been reliable when shot angles become a little less than perfect.

+1

DF

Posted By: k22hornet Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/15/16
Originally Posted by CrowRifle

+1
Posted By: bea175 Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/15/16
The best i have used is the Swift 90 gr Sirocco
Posted By: Texczech Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/15/16
JPro, have you ever tried the 85 grain partition.
Originally Posted by k22hornet
Originally Posted by CrowRifle

+1

I ran those at 3,600 fps out of a .240, lots of superficial destruction outside the chest on a WT doe, not enough inside the chest. She ran 100 yds.; I switched to 100 gr. NPT's. To me NPT's do better at high speed with more internal damage, better wound channel. We like to chest shoot WT's to save meat. CNS/Shoulder shots, the 80 gr. TTSX should do great.

I like the 100 gr. TTSX out of my .257R at 3,200 fps.

DF

Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/15/16
Originally Posted by RWE
100gr SGK #1560

This would be my second choice.

My first is the Sierra Varminter 85 grain SP #1520

A lot of guys like the Sierra Gameking HPBT #1530 but I wasn't too impressed w it. Too tough for my liking.

All shot in a few 243s and my 6mm Remmy.
Posted By: JPro Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/15/16
Originally Posted by Texczech

I've never tried out the 85gr version.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/15/16
The 85 Partition was primarily designed for the .244 Remington's 1-12 twist, but some people like the extra velocity in the .243 Win.

The wife of a good friend of mine went on her first hunting trip last year, which just happened to be an African safari. She used a .243 with 85 Partitions killed an impala, a gemsbok and a blue wildebeest, all good trophies, with one shot each. It'll probably do for whitetails.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/15/16
95 gr NBT
With NPT's, I like to shoot as heavy as the twist/rifle will allow. My 10 twist .240 really likes the 100 gr, so that's my go to bullet for that gun. It'll do half MOA at 400.

DF
Posted By: bea175 Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/15/16
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by Texczech

I've never tried out the 85gr version.

I use the 95 gr Partition in my 240 Wby
Posted By: Texczech Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/15/16
The 85 grain Sierra has shot well in all our 243's so wanted to try the 85 partition. Thanks JPro and Mule Deer.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/15/16
Just remember if your 6 is a short action Remington and you try to kiss the rifling you will have a 2 shot gun, 1 in the barrel and 1 in the mag.

Those Short actions won't allow you to seat to rifling and run a full mag unless you are running a more blunt profile bullet.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/15/16
I have used the 85 gr. Partition on deer and feral hogs, it always exited, the exit holes were a bit small but still leaked enough blood, recovered everything shot. It's real niche was breaking necks, shoulders and spines for on the spot drops. I still have my 6MM Remington loaded with them. Next year I will run the 95 gr. Ballistic Tips again.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/15/16
85 or 95 Party.
Posted By: Autofive Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/16/16
Nosler 95 gr. partition and the Hornady 100 gr. interlock have worked equally well for us.
Posted By: hanco Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/16/16
I load the 85 Nosler Partition for grandaughter. She hammers deer and pigs.
Posted By: tarheelpwr Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/17/16
I just got 2 boxes of 80 TTSX loaded ammo. I plan to try them out this year, and then I'll load some 95 Berger classics for next.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/17/16
Originally Posted by Dude270
the 95 nosler ballistic tip is a great one.
A couple of other favorites are 95 partitions and the 100 grain hornady interlock

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

And don't forget the 100gr NPT, also.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/18/16
I have killed nearly 150 white-tailed deer with the 100-grain Interlock loaded to 3000 from a 6mm Rem. It has been very consistent in its results and is very accurate.

Another good one is the 100-grain Partition. I really don't like lighter bullets in 6mm for shooting deer.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/18/16
Originally Posted by RWE
100gr SGK #1560

I have used this bullet on more deer than any other 6mm bullet. It works great. It is also excellent LR and will penetrate further than many may think......

Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/18/16
What this thread actually indicates is the .243 Winchester, despite some naysayers, is a pretty good whitetail cartridge.

According to my hunting notes over the past few decades, my hunting companions and I have used Barnes X's, TSX'sand TTSX's, Berger Hunting VLD's, Federal Power Shoks, Hornady Interlocks, Nosler Ballistic Tips and Partitions, Remington Core-Lokts, Sierra GameKings, Speer Hot-Cors, and Winchester Power Points to take whitetails from various .243 Winchesters. The result has been plenty of dead deer, without a single bullet "failure."
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/18/16
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
What this thread actually indicates is the .243 Winchester, despite some naysayers, is a pretty good whitetail cartridge.

According to my hunting notes over the past few decades, my hunting companions and I have used Barnes X's, TSX'sand TTSX's, Berger Hunting VLD's, Federal Power Shoks, Hornady Interlocks, Nosler Ballistic Tips and Partitions, Remington Core-Lokts, Sierra GameKings, Speer Hot-Cors, and Winchester Power Points to take whitetails from various .243 Winchesters. The result has been plenty of dead deer, without a single bullet "failure."

Doubt very few bullets "Fail" but 99.9% of the failures come from the guy "shooting" who cannot actually "Shoot".

If you a hunter cannot recover the animal he has no clue as to what the fug really happened.

Posted By: keith Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/20/16
95g partitions will make a "true believer" out of you on large bodied deer from 200-280 lbs, at distances.

For some reason, the 95 NP has been more accurate than the 100's in my 6mm and 243's.

We have also had stellar luck with the 100g Hornady Interlock, and I prefer the flat base version, unreal accurate with IMR and H4350.
Posted By: Dale K Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/20/16
I've used the flat base 100 gr Hornady for years in a 6mm. But they don't make them anymore so I've been dabbling with others. My gun (a Ruger tanger from around 1980) did not like the 95 gr NBT. I got patterns, not groups. So I moved on to play with the Barnes 80 gr TTSX. It's showing some real promise in the accuracy department.

Dale
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/21/16
Literally, any bullet 95 grains and up works very well for deer in the 6mm/243. That's what they're made for.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/21/16
Originally Posted by Dale K
I've used the flat base 100 gr Hornady for years in a 6mm. But they don't make them anymore so I've been dabbling with others. My gun (a Ruger tanger from around 1980) did not like the 95 gr NBT. I got patterns, not groups. So I moved on to play with the Barnes 80 gr TTSX. It's showing some real promise in the accuracy department.

Dale

With that profile, I'd be checking out NPT's.

DF
Posted By: hanco Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/22/16
The .243 is a dandy cartridge. Kills very well for its size. I was surprised to see how well it killed deer and pigs.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/22/16
Originally Posted by ingwe
The guys here talked me into using the Nosler 95 grain Ballistic Tip. It has been excellent accuracy and performance wise.

Hey, if Ingwe says it, that's all ya need to know.... grin

of course if you want to impress your buddies, with a mini ICBM looking round, try a 115 grain Berger seated in one, especially if it is a long action, seated to magazine length. whistle
Posted By: ingwe Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/22/16
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by ingwe

Hey, if Ingwe says it, that's all ya need to know.... grin

As many have mentioned, the out-of-production 100 gr. Hornady flat base is an excellent bullet. Could never tell the difference in performance between that and the 100 gr. Nosler Partition. I have a secret little stash of the Hornadys still.... cool
Posted By: Dale K Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/22/16
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Dale K

Dale

With that profile, I'd be checking out NPT's.

DF

That's next if the Barnes don't work out. And like ingwe, I have a stash of the Hornady flat bases. Probably enough to last me the rest of my life. But I've got twin 4 year old grandsons, that 6mm may be just the ticket for them in a few years.

Dale
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/28/16
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Literally, any bullet 95 grains and up works very well for deer in the 6mm/243. That's what they're made for.

"Any 95 grain bullet & up" is a bit broad yet on the right track. Make that any 95 grain & up hunting bullet. Just would not like to see a guy using a thin skinned Sierra target bullet for example. An 100 grain interlock offers quit a bang for your buck IMHO.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/28/16
Originally Posted by Obi_Wan
Never shot anything but factory ammo in my 6mm. I'd like to reload, but wondering what is considered a great whitetail bullet for the 6mm.

I have loaded the 85 gr TSX and 100 gr Partition with RL-17 powder for a couple cousins 6mm Rems, they shoot the hell out of deer every year, no complaints so far.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/29/16
If anyone wants some flat based, Hornady 100s, I have 280 fresh and 55 pulled (w/Grip-n-pull) that I have no use for anymore.
Posted By: Bugger Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/29/16
Originally Posted by sbhooper
If anyone wants some flat based, Hornady 100s, I have 280 fresh and 55 pulled (w/Grip-n-pull) that I have no use for anymore.

I could use them. How much?
Posted By: sbhooper Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/29/16
Originally Posted by Bugger

I could use them. How much?

PM sent.
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: 6mm whitetail bullet? - 08/29/16

I am interested.
© 24hourcampfire