Home
The 6mm Creedmoor and the 243 Winchester....
Co-joined twins separated at birth???
So is there any measurable difference?
No, except that you can buy really good factory LR ammo for the Creedmoor, and slightly better barrel life.
I was always in favor of, " because I can..." The fun factor.
Buy both - isn't that what rifle loonies do?
Yes, that's true, and you're evil.....πŸ‘
If all 243's came with a 9 twist there'd be few that would upgrade to a 6mm Creedmoor, because 243 ammo is everywhere.
But the Creedmoor's 8 twist beats the heck out of a 10 twist 243 in versatility.
That makes sense. It's the same reason why I like a 1:8 on my 22-250
I wore out the barrel on my Dakota 243 so I rebarreled to 22-250 with 1:7 twist.
Now that Barret Fieldcraft is out in 6CM with 1:7 twist, I had to go for it.
I just received a 6mm Rem barrel with 7.5" twist. Should shoot the long ones well.
Cliff,

I have a one in 7 twist barrel, that I chambered in 6mm Rem and put in on a long action Remington.

RL 19, pushes 115 grain Bergers at 3250 fps MV...

105s bullets in excess of 3300 fps...

definitely a long range flat shooting cartridge.. bullets seated to mag length in the Model 700...

only regret is that I put it on a Long Action Remington instead of a Long Action Model 70....

24 inch Pac Nor barrel...
John, thanks for the info on loads. Mine is on my Blaser R8 and I'm using a 7x57 magazine insert so I should have no issues in seating my bullets out to where they are the most accurate. I've not used RL19 on my 6 Rem before but will certainly look hard at it.
Cliff another thing I'll pass on...

my most accurate rifle is that 6mm Rem...

and its most accurate load was a charge of H 414, with a 75 grain Hornady HP..

sadly discontinued, to make way for the 75 grain V Max, which isn't as accurate at all...

Speers and Sierra 75 HP are more accurate than the V Max...

MV was in the 3600 fps+ range...
Thanks John. H414 has been a favorite powder of mine in the 6mm for a long time. I still have a couple of hundred 75 grain HP's. I think the Sierra is a good choice, too.
Originally Posted by VernAK
I wore out the barrel on my Dakota 243 so I rebarreled to 22-250 with 1:7 twist.
Now that Barret Fieldcraft is out in 6CM with 1:7 twist, I had to go for it.

If only they had come to market with a LH model...I'd have a stable of Fieldcrafts.
All this new stuff... Ruger Americans, Field Craft etc...

beginning to think I'm the only guy around who is still happy with a good old Model 70 any day of the week...

but me,and Ruger 77s

and Weatherby Vanguard/Howas get along pretty well also...

I'm even enjoying some of the Model 700s I have, once Redneck has done the bolt handle pinning job
on them....and I don't have to worry about them coming off anymore....

but then hey... I'm the kind of guy who likes old style bullets.. like Round Noses...etc...
so what do I know???
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
No, except that you can buy really good factory LR ammo for the Creedmoor, and slightly better barrel life.

I agree and think the 6 Creed is the slightly better mousetrap. I expect I'll own one, or more, in the future.

That said, there isn't a lot of difference in performance, and you can purchase 243 ammunition in practically any small town. I don't think that's possible with the 6 Creed yet. The ability to find 243 ammunition almost anywhere is a big deal if a hunter forgets their ammunition and leaves it at home.

I had a hunter leave his 6XC ammunition at home one year. He had a backup rifle and had remembered that ammo, but otherwise he was going to have to borrow a rifle, which no one wants to do on a big hunt. He's a friend and I've teased him some, sort of, saying a 243 reamer would probably clean up the 6XC chamber.
Looked at a brand new Stainless 700 ADL .243 with the jeweled bolt and the black tupperware stock and 1:9 1/8" twist today. It felt light and handy enough even with 24" barrel, fit and finish was pretty good, the stock was slender and sturdy and appeared nicer than a lot of cheap rifles, and the matte stainless finish seemed smoother than what I remembered as more of a rough sandblasted finish.
I'm pretty sure that it would work with 80 to 105 grain bullets, which is all I'd really need.

I'd have a hard time looking further or fretting over it not being a 6 Creedmoor since I already have a pretty good supply of .243 ammo and seem to have some sentimental attachment to this 60 year old cartridge that has benefited as much as just about anything from advancements in bullets.

Also kind of attached to the 700 as it was my first centerfire rifle, although in a blued and walnut 30-06 BDL. They just seem to fit me really well and always feel just right in my hands, especially this lighter weight version.

In the end, I don't think I'd be missing out on anything with this choice.
Now just imagine it with a new spider web paint job......
Ok, I can shill for my own stuff πŸ•ΈπŸ•·
Go ahead and get the Creedmoor
I didn't spider web mine.
Factory 80 gr are at .75" at 100 yds.
Haven't worked up any handloads.
Just a yote popper.
My prev ADL synth was .5" w 70 gr Nosler BT on max charge of 4350.
[Linked Image]
Like the .243 win.........have had .........eight of them.
Never worried about versatility..........if I need to do something different, just buy another rifle smile
Currently have two .243 win.
The 700 for yotes. A #1 for deer.
Bought the #1 to rebarrel to 35 rem............but the thing shoots good so I just run it.
Originally Posted by hookeye
I didn't spider web mine.
Factory 80 gr are at .75" at 100 yds.
Haven't worked up any handloads.
Just a yote popper.
My prev ADL synth was .5" w 70 gr Nosler BT on max charge of 4350.
[Linked Image]

Love that camo on your stock.
Yeah! That's schweet
That's a really good looking rifle/stock combo. Did you say who did the work?
I wish I had the skill to do a paint job like that.
Thanks, did it a few yrs ago, still looks new. FWIW the camo job was easy...........just flat black the stock and let that dry completely.
Then make stripes with blue masking tape, the torn edges for the feather effect. Can build up stripes with smaller pieces.
The secret is to not make the stripes too small/ high in number.
Then just fog it OD green
Then spray tan where the tape stripes are and when tape removed, you get max contrast.

Not a real tiger stripe pattern, as the only real stripes are black.
But this way it's not too "busy".

After everything was dry I hit it with a few coats of Painter's Choice matte clear.
That is some really stinky stuff.
Proly want to do that outside.

It does add some sheen to the flat camo paint, but not enough to cause me worry.
The secret is knowing when to say "when".
Easy to make patterns more intricate.
The more paint you add.........the more chance for screwing it up.
Plus there can be an issue of topography.
By 3 colors, one striping........it's pretty darn flat topo wise.

I did some snow camo on a few rigs, using that Webbing paint.
That stuff can be tricky as heck!

On those I painted them flat white, and did a grey at contour spots.
Then striped it kinda sorta with the webbing.

Broke it up enough to be interesting, not too busy.

I have tried a couple full webbing paint jobs and nozzles clogged near the end and jacked them up.
Acetone cleaned them and said screw it.

I've botched two web jobs and one striping (too busy).........in experimentation.
For me, less colors, simple pattern........works best.
Can do one in about 6 beers.
Anybody can paint a stock like that on my 700.
The only real skill is not overdoing it smile
Even if you do, it's just a roll of paper towels and acetone.
Now you've got me thinking......
Sponge painted this one w old leftover auto primer (added white to the grey to get different tones).
The problem with that was in low light that thing GLOWED blue.
Something in that paint.
Swapped bbl, noticed it in deer season..........acetone to the rescue.
That Matte clear is kind of a mess to remove.

[Linked Image]
I didn't like the all black limbs so kinda sorta tried the minimalist approach to the 700 on this Trad Tech Pinnacle 2.
Kinda like it.
Thought about doing a rifle stock like that, but want a little different brown, maybe some orange too.
Hell I'd pay to have a cool fall leaf film dip done.........but after 2 yrs of searching..........all over the web, nobody makes a cool orange, yellow and red leaf pattern. Just leaves.
Dang it.

IMHO it doesn't take much skill to do a decent paint job. Esp on a plastic stock, where any error can be removed without damage.
Might be intimidating...........understandable.

But really, the biggest thing is to have a plan, and stick with it............don't overdo it.

Anybody can do a nice job without much effort smile

[Linked Image]
Artsy camo and real camo, proly two different things.
A dull med color with slight contrast (muddy looking) is proly best for hunting.
Won't sell any jackets or pants though.

There is another secret I learned............a bunch of camo guns in a safe looks like crap.

I've been thinking about removing my tiger pattern and just going olive drab.

I do like the webbing paint jobs, like John Boy does. Think they offer enough variation
and color to not be boring, and are not just another camo stock.

My 1100 SP magnum wears factory camo synth now, and I hate it. Would rather have it all black.

My 10/22 build wears a solid green stock.

If I do another Contender build I might do some psychedelic splatter paint.

Hmmmmm, maybe if I score a 3rd .243 win......................
Originally Posted by hookeye
Thanks, did it a few yrs ago, still looks new. FWIW the camo job was easy...........just flat black the stock and let that dry completely.
Then make stripes with blue masking tape, the torn edges for the feather effect. Can build up stripes with smaller pieces.
The secret is to not make the stripes too small/ high in number.
Then just fog it OD green
Then spray tan where the tape stripes are and when tape removed, you get max contrast.

Not a real tiger stripe pattern, as the only real stripes are black.
But this way it's not too "busy".

After everything was dry I hit it with a few coats of Painter's Choice matte clear.
That is some really stinky stuff.
Proly want to do that outside.

It does add some sheen to the flat camo paint, but not enough to cause me worry.

I've painted one and like you said I over painted, I think I can do this and have a new Tikka I'll try.
Well crap. LGS has a Savage in a Manners stock.........308.
Thinking maybe buy it and swap to .243win.
Could be a money pit.
Don't shoot my 700 much.
But it'd be a 3rd .243 win...........

see if it's there end of the week.

6XC

37-38 grains of powder

same 243 Win performance

longgger barrel life.........
IMHO if one wears a barrel out, they'd gotten a lot of fun out of it........more than the cost of a rebarrel.
Screw on a new tube and have more fun.
This thread has been an education for me. I was started out on a 6mm Remington. If I were looking for a 6MM today the 6mm Creedmoor would get my vote. If you wish to shoot the longer heavier bullets go with the creed If the lighter 65 grain varmint bullets are what you are looking to shoot then the 243 would do fine. Rifling twist rate is the primary factor in my mind.

Originally Posted by Hunterapp
This thread has been an education for me. I was started out on a 6mm Remington. If I were looking for a 6MM today the 6mm Creedmoor would get my vote. If you wish to shoot the longer heavier bullets go with the creed If the lighter 65 grain varmint bullets are what you are looking to shoot then the 243 would do fine. Rifling twist rate is the primary factor in my mind.

You got it. That's pretty much the only difference. A 6 creed does give a longer mag box. I have a fast twist 243, and there is little if any difference from the 6 creed. You would not be able to tell which one you were shooting if you didn't know.
My current .243 is a Ruger 1V with a 7.7" twist and long throat. The downside is that getting close to the lands with short bullets is tough, just like it's alleged to be with the Creed. No matter. Still looking for the magic load. Right now it's pretty much a range toy at at least 10lbs with the weighty Hawke 8x56 (22oz). My Fieldcraft 6, will get the nod for walking around. Even with a heavy scope, it'll be light.

I always fancied the 6mm Remington, but the dearth of available rifles kept me away. If I ever go custom, a 6mm/06/.270/.25/06 might get the nod for a little extra zip, although the shorter ones kill stuff just fine.
Pops has an old B in .22-250.
Whenever it comes my way I'll proly have it redone in .243 win.
I have several 243's, and can see no reason whatsoever to abandon them in favor of the 6mm Creed, or for that matter, any other 6mm cartridge.
Started using the .243 in 1962 since that time I have used a lot of different chamberings, I've taken a lot of critters with my .243s they have served me well, today I have 4 .243s 2 A.I. 2 standard with modern bullets and faster twist barrels the .243 hits way above it's weight class and that pleases me.

When I look at bullet weights and powder loads I don't see much difference in the 6mms at least not enough to make me go to something else. ymmv Rio7
The last couple of posts remind me of a lot of anti-Creedmoor sentiment: "I've been happy with this or that for years and so I see no reason to change." That's perfectly fine. However there may be a lot of people not yet invested in other things, and for them why not get the better mousetrap right out of the gate?
Originally Posted by mathman
The last couple of posts remind me of a lot of anti-Creedmoor sentiment: "I've been happy with this or that for years and so I see no reason to change." That's perfectly fine. However there may be a lot of people not yet invested in other things, and for them why not get the better mousetrap right out of the gate?

Not anti-Creed here, as I do own a 6.5 CM. However, facts are facts, and for 99.9% of the shooters, a Creedmoor cartridge is not going to be any better than what's already out there. Most shooters are not going to shoot at 1000 yard targets, either competitively, or in the hunting field. Their needs can be filled perfectly with what's been out there for years.

Now, having said that, I have no problem with people spending their money on what they want to spend it on, be it something frivolous or the newest in the shooting world. I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor just to see what all the talk was about. It's accurate, and I love shooting it. But, if I ever start selling off some rifles, it will be one of the first to go. Why......because for my needs, it does not fill a "niche".....as I have no "niches" that need filling. The biggest game I hunt is whitetail deer, and I have a number of other chamberings that will kill a deer just as good as a 6.5 CM.

If I was a new hunter starting out, and didn't know diddly squat about which cartridge I needed to buy, or which mousetrap, the situation might be different. However, that situation is rare, and in the real world of hunting and shooting, not the fantasy one, a 243 will work just as well as a 6mm CM, or for that matter, any other 6mm cartridge.
Lol.......so now the creedmoor is no better than the others so we should just stick with the others. Got it. Funny logic.
I guess I look at it different. I've shot a 22-250AI for 10 years or so. I like it and it's killed a lot of deer for several people. When it gets a new barrel and if I decide to stay with that size 22 cal I'll go with the 22 creedmoor. Why? Alpha brass ready to go and while I've never thought of fireforming as a chore that wouldn't be needed.
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Lol.......so now the creedmoor is no better than the others so we should just stick with the others. Got it. Funny logic.

Here's what I said, in terms that guy from Tennessee can hopefully understand...........if you find attractive a 350 pound woman, who wears that gawd-awful orange , and sings Rocky Top while doing a pole dance for you, then by all means that is your right. The same terms apply when buying a gun.......if a new cartridge appeals to you, then by all means go for it.

BUT......the average shooter is not going to see ANY difference whatsoever between a 6MM Creedmoor, and a 243 Winchester, or a 6MM Rem. It's just that simple. By the same token, the same applies to the 6.5 CM, and the 260 Rem or the 6.5X55. One would have to do a lot of shooting at extremely long ranges before they would see any difference, providing it was even noticeable.

That does not mean the Creedmoor line of cartridges is no better than the others, as they have a certain appeal to a certain group of shooters. But they're not some magic potion, despite what some people may think.
Steelhead IS that 350 pound woman.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Here's what I said, in terms that guy from Tennessee can hopefully understand...........if you find attractive a 350 pound woman, who wears that gawd-awful orange , and sings Rocky Top while doing a pole dance for you, then by all means that is your right. The same terms apply when buying a gun.......if a new cartridge appeals to you, then by all means go for it.

BUT......the average shooter is not going to see ANY difference whatsoever between a 6MM Creedmoor, and a 243 Winchester, or a 6MM Rem. It's just that simple. By the same token, the same applies to the 6.5 CM, and the 260 Rem or the 6.5X55. One would have to do a lot of shooting at extremely long ranges before they would see any difference, providing it was even noticeable.

That does not mean the Creedmoor line of cartridges is no better than the others, as they have a certain appeal to a certain group of shooters. But they're not some magic potion, despite what some people may think.

You sir just might be a idiot.
What the hell does fat women dancers have to do with......creedmoor is no better than the other stuff so just get the other stuff. Only the hard headed( I suspect you're old) guys mention magic about the creedmoor case. My 6.5 is a 260 but I'm not bashing the idea of a 6.5 creedmoor. Hard headed people....
And it has nothing to do with shooting at long range. I would assume we would be comparing a 6.5 CM 260 6.5x55....all with same bullets same twist. In that case they are all the same providing COAL feed/function is good to go. The difference would be if you don't handload or looking to buy a new rifle. Any new 6.5 creedmoor will have a 1-8 twist. Some of the others are twisted same some aren't. Lots of good quality creedmoor ammo at very reasonable prices. Not always the case with the others.

Maybe you can understand that? Not really getting into the state thing....I have really good friends from different states and don't see what that has to do with anything?
"I suspect you're old."
Well, talk about an uneducated prejudicial statement.
Gentlemen, you've actually been scammed.
We Americans typically have the "Shiney nickel syndrome" and manufacturers live it.
Our actual needs if only hunting were considered could be covered by only for basic cartridges.
22lr, 223, 308 & 45-70
But what the hen, that's just my opinion.
If we were satisfied with the basics there would be no industry built around firearms .
We have this passion for the latest and greatest even if it's basically the same as what it is supposedly better than.
No you invent the job of the gun scribe shower job it is to convince us of that fact.
Do you still need proof? How many articles have I read: 280 vs 270 and the winner is...,"
It's called redundancy.
But, this is America, who cares? Within reason, and the law we can have, or do whatever we like.
Or problem is accepting differences of personal preference. We belittle and berate someone who thinks the 308 is the epitome of its class and lambast those poor fools who would dare to disagree and shoot a 30-06, not to mention the idiots with the 300 H&H.
I feel a Rodney King moment.
Where's my comfort dog . πŸΎπŸΆπŸ•
My whole point is people put something down because it's just the same as other things.....well good. It's great to have so many options. I do not have a 6.5 creedmoor but recommend it all the time. It is a great balance of recoil ammo availability and plenty for most hunting needs. Others offer that too
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Steelhead IS that 350 pound woman.

It's good being 150 pounds less than your wife.
Lol..... I point out it's funny that people discard the creedmoor because it's no better than other offerings (which is debatable) and now I love fat women dressed in orange and Scott is a fat woman? So it's like arguing with ignorant women who change the subject and then put words in your mouth just to try and prove and point that never was made.
Originally Posted by mathman

What simultaneously puzzles, amuses, and irritates me is how some apparently take serious offence at others' choices, particularly regarding cartridge selection, like they're somehow threatened when someone chooses a competitor to their pet. Commonly, they'll concoct scenarios to support the superiority of their choice, cherry-picking "evidence" of why the new kid is no better than the old girl, if not outright inferior. Some of this is probably fueled by the attitude of the acolytes of the new stuff, but it seems there's more to it than that.

I certainly have some strong opinions and notions about stuff, but don't give a rat's patooty about what someone else buys or uses (as long as they lay off my .270!😑).
© 24hourcampfire