Home
I'm looking for a bullet that would serve on both of these species. Probably more pigs than coyotes. I have some 85 gr. Game Kings loaded up to take to the range for this rifle. What's your preference?
BARNES 80 GRAIN TTSX
NOSLER 85 GRAIN PARTITION

Both of those bullets would do a good job for you on piggies.
My coyote .243 load is a 87gr Vmax at about 2650fps. I like 100gr Sierras for hogs.
Can't say about pigs, as I don't have any here to hunt, but I've shot a lot of 85 grain Sierra HPBT's at coyotes and they work great. I'm loading them at 3250-3300 fps. My other two favorite coyote bullets are the 58 grain VMax and the 65 grain Berger. These will flat give a coyote a dirt nap in a second.
Originally Posted by JeffG818
My coyote .243 load is a 87gr Vmax at about 2650fps. I like 100gr Sierras for hogs.

Good bullet.. I'm partial to the 87 grain SP.. very accurate and works well on deer also...

ditto with the 87 grain HP match bullet also...
100 grain Hornady BTSP
Originally Posted by ingwe
100 grain Hornady BTSP

This is my favorite all around choice. All mentioned will work great if they shoot accurately in your firearm & you are able to put the bullet where it counts. This time of year I wish I lived in hog country.
85 Sierra GK HPBT works just fine on pigs, so does any other .243 bullet that works on deer; 95 Nos BT or Part, 100 Hdy BTSP, 100 Sie GK or PH, 100 Nos Part, 80 TTSX, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, et al . . . Pick the one your rifle shoots best with a powder you have plenty of and don't worry about the rest of the many options.
Originally Posted by FLNative
85 Sierra GK HPBT works just fine on pigs, so does any other .243 bullet that works on deer; 95 Nos BT or Part, 100 Hdy BTSP, 100 Sie GK or PH, 100 Nos Part, 80 TTSX, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, et al . . . Pick the one your rifle shoots best with a powder you have plenty of and don't worry about the rest of the many options.

+4 on the Hornady 100gr. BTSP .
My .243 really likes the 58gr Superformance Varmint load from Hornady. I was coyote hunting in Oklahoma years ago when walking back to the trip I kicked up a hog along the creek bank. One shot in the neck and he fell into the water. A day later he surfaced and I fished him out. There's a very successful hog hunter in Texas who loves the 90gr TNT 6.5 Grendel load for American Eagle. Search for Double Naught Spy's videos on Youtube.

Thanks, Dinny
I'll second the choice of an 85gn Game king HBT. They kill deer and goats and a well placed shot on a pig should be no problem.
I never used Speer bullets until I started testing some Speer 100 gr BTSP. They shoot really well for the money. They can be had from Wideners for $15/box of 100. They also have a nice BC (.430).
My hunting partner in pig country used his 243 many times, even on large hogs (over 200 lbs.) with the 95 BT.

Pigs aren't hard to kill, but they can be hard to trail with bullets that leave only entry holes, especially in the brush they like to come out from.

My vote would be a Barnes 80-85, but only for the leakage insurance.
Ran across a deal a While back on Speer 90 gr Deep Shocks. They work great on yotes and pigs. Accurate too.
Originally Posted by ingwe
100 grain Hornady BTSP

Yea Boy!

Flat base also!
The 95-grain Partition has worked for me.

This was out of my 6mm-284, range about 225 yards. MV on the load was about 3250, IIRC. I plan on using the 95-grain Partition in my 6mm ARs, which will be hog rifles primarily. We'll see how they do. If necessary I can go down to the 85-grain Partition, or maybe up to the 100-grain Partition. I doubt it will be necessary---provided I can get the 95s to shoot in my new rifles.

[Linked Image]
My 10 twist .240 Wby really like the NPT 100 gr., half MOA at 400 yds.

DF
95gr NP over RL22 knocks the $hit out of pigs and deer
Anything would work, pigs aren’t tough at all.
It took me a couple years to find the right bullet for the 243 Win.....Sierra 85gr. HPBT GameKings was my goto bullets when I did deer crop damage shooting.....shot 80-100 deer a year never lost a deer some would do a 50 yard death run....

I know several people that do deer control shooting and will only use Sierra 85gr. HPBT GameKings

Back in the 80's it was a MatchKing bullet when I started using it....name was changed to GameKing maybe around 1990...I'am going on memory so might not be correct....
95 grain Nosler Ballistic tip. Works great on both!
The 80 grain Barnes should be a dandy!
Speer 85 gr btsp

tough little pill.

inexpensive and easy to load for.

3 different .243's like it.

Next would be the Hornady 87 gr bthp...its a tie between the speer and the hornady.

I have gravitated toward bullets under 95 grains simply because all 3 rifles liked that weight range............twist rates were the deciding factor.

Savage / Stevens 200 1x9.25 loves just about everything from 100 grains to 58's.

The two remingtons 1x10......BOTH never did like anything at 100 grains or 95's......But stick a.. Speer 90 grain soft point in either one and they are both very, very accurate...

That slight amount of twist difference is evident on the target.......

Every rifle is different.

best.

Heavy
95 grain Tipped Match King, works well for both. Even works on deer I found out.
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
It took me a couple years to find the right bullet for the 243 Win.....Sierra 85gr. HPBT GameKings was my goto bullets when I did deer crop damage shooting.....shot 80-100 deer a year never lost a deer some would do a 50 yard death run....

I know several people that do deer control shooting and will only use Sierra 85gr. HPBT GameKings

Back in the 80's it was a MatchKing bullet when I started using it....name was changed to GameKing maybe around 1990...I'am going on memory so might not be correct....

I've used bullets from 58 to 100 grains in the 243, but if I could use only one bullet for a 243, it would be the 85 grain Sierra HPBT GK. while I prefer the 90 and 95 grain BT's for deer, and the 58-65 grain bullets for coyotes, the 85 is a good compromise. It will kill the snot out of a deer, and it'll flat put the hurt on a coyote. I use W760 powder, and push it as fast as I can.
barnes 80gr TTSX is an awesome bullet
80 TTSX is the only bullet I use for everything larger than a woodchuck. Performance is incredible. Plenty of expansion for coyotes, yet enough penetration to bust both shoulders of a big whitetail and never get stopped.
Originally Posted by KenMi
80 TTSX is the only bullet I use for everything larger than a woodchuck. Performance is incredible. Plenty of expansion for coyotes, yet enough penetration to bust both shoulders of a big whitetail and never get stopped.

I shot a 180lb buck at 120 or so yards with one high shoulder. Busted through both shoulder blades and still going for all I know. He fell like a stone
© 24hourcampfire