Home
[Linked Image]

No target pictures, but it does .8 inches with a couple of loads I've tried, out of my 222. Just curious. The price is right.
Spam bump.
Bump to clear spam off of the homepage
I bought these in bulk from Midway a couple of years back. I use them for run of the mill in 223.
My general everyday bullet in the .223 AR. Consistent 3/4MOA performer, so why not.
Yep. For hunting from my 222s, it's a 200-250 yd bullet. And works just fine. I am glad that Hornady makes them. I used to buy Remington bulk bullets cheap, but they stopped making many cals and weights.Winchester still makes them, but they are almost the same cost as Hornadys. No bargains there.
Steve, what velocity are you getting with these in your 222?
About 3050 to 3100 fps. I don't push them quite to the max. There are several powders that do better than 3100 fps - Win 748, AA2230, AA2200, but squeezing out another 30 40 fps isn't worth it to me.
I load them to right at 3200fps in .223 with CFE-223 for an easygoing load.
Thank you both.
25 - 26 gr of TAC in .223 might work well too. Also might be bumping 5.56x45 territory. 😇
My most used .22 caliber bullet. Have killed hundreds of woodchucks and dozens of deer with that bullet fired from numerous .222's, .223's and .22-250's.
That's good to hear. I like them. I've never shot a deer with them, but I have taken coyotes and groundhogs.
If you were going to stockpile one bullet in .224, you could do a whole lot worse, but for general purposes, not much better for the price.
Anybody use the bevel base one Midsouth lists? I have had good luck with the one in the OP but was curious about the bevel bases because they were on sale.
Originally Posted by TheKid
Anybody use the bevel base one Midsouth lists? I have had good luck with the one in the OP but was curious about the bevel bases because they were on sale.

That bevel's basically the same one on the bottom of their 52gr match bullet.....hint....
I wish there was a similarly constructed and priced 6mm bullet. Like the old 80 gr Rem bulk bullets..I have approx. 250 left out of a box order from the early 2000s.
Use the 55 gr SP w/ cannelure all the time just got done loading 1000 of them. Worked up a load in 223 Mil brass for my M700 VS cross checked them in my DPMS Oracle , MP-15 build/PSA upper and my R-15 also work in my HOWA truck gun and M77 ss boatpaddle. FL sized them, trimmed all to min, VLD chamfered inside, regular chamfer outside. charged the cases seated the bullets .Then I ran everyone of them thru a Dillion case gauge to eliminate any problem ones from use in my AR's. Least expensive 224 bullet out there and they shoot well. Around here they can be had for $90/1000 bulk buy them by the 100 count and you end up bleeding down the backside of both legs. My everyday working bullet in the 223 and 22-250. MB
And top of all the glowing reports on accuracy and game performance, they smell good too and invariably cause the prettiest women in the bar to hover over you. Truth.
I don't see any glowing reports of accuracy or game performance. They work "just fine", there "isn't much better for the price" and are an "everyday working bullet". No wild claims there. grin I think it's fair to say that they get the job done - despite having a cannelure, a lead tip and aren't outrageously priced. laugh
Well they used to make the same 55 gr without the cannelure ,I'd be even happier with them because I never crimp in anything that isn't a tube fed lever gun. MB
They still make it. Did you see any difference in accuracy because of the cannelure? Personally, I never did. You can ignore it and load it to whatever length is best for your rifle.
Well Steve, a good buddy of mine uses his 22-250 on everything (coyotes ,deer,antelope) he truly believes from his experience that the cannelured 55 's come apart easier and sometimes actually separate at the cannuelure sometimes. I didn't have that happen yet that I could tell with the Hornadys but experienced that on a 4x5 whttl buck at about 225 yds with 55 gr cannelured Rem PSP bullets. Only makes sense that a non cannelured jacket has more structural integrity. As you know a sample of 1 doesn't tell you doodly but makes you wonder. MB
The most accurate bullet I've found so far in my old Ruger 22-250. Great bullet on called coyotes.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well Steve, a good buddy of mine uses his 22-250 on everything (coyotes ,deer,antelope) he truly believes from his experience that the cannelured 55 's come apart easier and sometimes actually separate at the cannuelure sometimes. I didn't have that happen yet that I could tell with the Hornadys but experienced that on a 4x5 whttl buck at about 225 yds with 55 gr cannelured Rem PSP bullets. Only makes sense that a non cannelured jacket has more structural integrity. As you know a sample of 1 doesn't tell you doodly but makes you wonder. MB

If that's what he believes, all the power to him. Shooting success has a lot to do with what's between your ears. If he feels that way, and is successful, then he's found his formula.

That bullet is classed by Hornady as a varmint bullet. Personally, I would not use it for deer. Its lighter construction may be the reason they come apart, especially if they strike bone.
I found them for less than $0.10 a bullet in a 250 bulk pack and got another 100 with a set of Hornady .223 dies. I was excited to use them since so many people heap praise on them, but they didn't agree with my rifle.

I eventually tried them with downloaded "bunny loads" that I could let my younger kids use (13.0g IMR 4198, CCI 400, R-P brass). Turns out they were much more accurate in reduced loads in my rifle than they ever were with standard loads and those "bunny loads" are an absolute hoot to shoot. At 2,100 fps it puts it squarely between a .22 WMR and .22 Hornet, has little to no recoil, less report and decent accuracy (sub 1.5 MOA @ 100y).

So, I'm a fan of them for a range / plinking / youth load, but I couldn't get them to group for crap with anything else.
Well Steve, my buddy never takes anything but a 90 degree angle ribcage shot either and no matter how one tries to talk to him about it and better choices one is just wasting their breath. Narrow minded ? yup and he just doesn't give a damn about what anyone else thinks he only cares about what he thinks.He lives out in the middle of no where and can hunt everyday of the season so he doesn't have to ass shoot a dink on the run.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well Steve, my buddy never takes anything but a 90 degree angle ribcage shot either and no matter how one tries to talk to him about it and better choices one is just wasting their breath. Narrow minded ? yup and he just doesn't give a damn about what anyone else thinks he only cares about what he thinks.He lives out in the middle of no where and can hunt everyday of the season so he doesn't have to ass shoot a dink on the run.
Nobody has to ass shoot a dink on the run. If you can't place your shots directly into something vital without going through from the ass let it go, simple as that. The Hornady bullets with cannelure work just fine on deer size game when applied in this manner.
I never saw the cannelure Hornadys but bought the Remington ones. I just bought the 55 gr. without the cannelure for 10 bucks per hundred at Cabelas. I have used them for years and get about 1" out of them. They are not as accurate as the Hornady 52 gr. match . With the 52 gr. I get .6-.8 .
My favorite " inexpensive" 224 bullet. I shoot the 500 count bulk packs from Midsouth. I use them in all my 223 rifles, RRA AR-15 Predator, Encore 223, and my Tikka lite and they shoot 3 shot groups 1/2" to 3/4" at 100 with mil case, cci 400 primer and 27.3 grs BLC-2. They work great also in my Ruger #1 22-250. I've had no problems with them shooting coyotes and woodchucks with them. My buddy's dad who is 85 years old used my Tikka last Saturday and dropped a coyote at 197 yards we called in for him. 1 shot through the chest dropped him. He was elated. You'll like them especially the price.
The deuce can be real accurate. I'd be wanting a lot better than .8". Years back I shot nothing but 50's (blitz) and 40's (Sierra hp) through mine, going much faster and much more accurately, and even today the cost would probably be not much different.
They spray the target like a shotgun from my 8 twist 223's. I found a load that shoots about 3/4" in two 12 twist Remington's. That's acceptable hunting accuracy, but both of those guns shoot good bullets less than 1/2".
I picked up 4 boxes of them from outdoor limited a couple years ago for $7ish/100, still haven't loaded any.
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
[Linked Image]

No target pictures, but it does .8 inches with a couple of loads I've tried, out of my 222. Just curious. The price is right.

A personal fave because of price, availability and performance. Shot thousands of them.Shot pigs, deer, antelope etc with them. It is the favorite bullet in my.222 and I hunt with it.

If there are any doubts on performance refer back to some of Scenarshooters older pics, before premium bullets were available.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Shot them in reduced .22/250 loads 3100 FPS and at 3500 FPS full strength loads with great results. Later shot them in a Remington 722 .222 with IMR 4320 and again had great accuracy and performance on varmints. These bullets are old school but work well in many applications.
They have killed everything I have shot with them and given good accuracy with a few exceptions. They would hit the target sideways out of my 1-7 twist AR's. I dug one off the back board that was embedded perfectly sideways. The jacket had opened up a bit at the nose and I suspect this caused the destabilization.
In two nice AR's, I shoot 24.5g of Benchmark, cci 400, 55g Hornady .2.240: OAL

Very accurate, 1/2"-5/8"
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
[Linked Image]

I use them in my 77 220 swift with great results, so I'm sure they'll find their way into my 600 222 when it gets here from the left coast!
Used them for years in the .22-250 with complete satisfaction.
© 24hourcampfire