Home
Posted By: ingwe Another .223 in the stable... - 09/30/19
Couldn't pass it up...HOWA 1500 Kuiu in .223 1 in 8 twist, Cerakoted at the factory 1/2 the price of MSRP.

Should be good for night predator hunting! We shall see...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
You shooting heavier slugs or "overstabilizing" 55 Hornies?
Looks good. What will you do for a scope?
Originally Posted by HawkI
You shooting heavier slugs or "overstabilizing" 55 Hornies?

I'll try everything in it up to 68 gr match.....just cause I need something to do...
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Looks good. What will you do for a scope?

I just stuck a 2x7 Hawke with illumination reticle on it .....should be good for night hunting...if the thing really shoots it might get an upgrade....
I suspect it will shoot very well.
Ingwe,

I have a Howa in 223, with the one in 8.... it does great for accuracy with bullets right up to the 80 grainers..

both the 68BTHP and 75BTHP shoot just as well...

the 73 ELD-M, is more accurate than the 75 grain ELF-M.....
Poobs, the only thing wrong with that one is the bolt is on the wrong side. eek

Gratz.
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Poobs, the only thing wrong with that one is the bolt is on the wrong side. eek

Gratz.

My thoughts, too. The gas pedal is on the wrong side...
look at in a mirror and it won't be....
I liked this little rifle so much that I was checking it out on Howa’s web site, they claim it’s a 1-9” twist??? But it was kind of vague if this model had the HACT 2 stage trigger. That would be a deal breaker for me, does yours have a single or 2stage ???
Originally Posted by Seafire
look at in a mirror and it won't be....

haha
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I liked this little rifle so much that I was checking it out on Howa’s web site, they claim it’s a 1-9” twist??? But it was kind of vague if this model had the HACT 2 stage trigger. That would be a deal breaker for me, does yours have a single or 2stage ???

Single stage and an 8 twist...they market it as their "Kuiu" model....https://www.legacysports.com/catalog/howa/howa-kuiu-rifle/

I just got back from the range..fed it four different loads and it liked three of them...so far so good!
Thank you
Hope that link worked for you!
What bullet are you leaning towards?
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I lean towards a reduced load with a 60 gr. NBT for hunting fur.

Just tonight I loaded up a selection of full powered loads with 60 NBT, 60 Gr Hornady, 63 Grain Sierra SMP, 55 grain TTSX, and 55 Grain Gold dots...gonna find a deer/pig load....
Ingwe: Do you think you could rechamber that Howa to get a fast twist 22/250?
Posted By: Owl Re: Another .223 in the stable... - 10/01/19
I won a Ruger in a raffle. It has a 1:8 twist. It really shines with 75g boolits.
I had a couple of Howa 223's and they were good shooters. Never used anything heavier than 55's.
Originally Posted by bobmn

Too much modification to the bolt face...at least for me...
Looking like the rifle LOVES the 63 gr. Sierra SMP for a heavy hunting load and I know it works as Ive shot numerous pigs with it...including my biggest...

Naw, but you certainly could take the barrel off and put it on a 473 bolt face platform...

that is what I did with a 1 in 7 twist barrel ( Pac Nor) from a 223 and put it on a Ruger 77 SA, that had had a 243 barrel on it from the factory.....that gave me a 243 length magazine with being able to seat bullets out further and increasing the powder capacity..

it runs 80 grain bullets at about 3350 out of a 24 inch stainless barrel... certainly an upgrade to a 22.250...
Originally Posted by ingwe

Just tonight I loaded up a selection of full powered loads with 60 NBT, 60 Gr Hornady, 63 Grain Sierra SMP, 55 grain TTSX, and 55 Grain Gold dots...gonna find a deer/pig load....

Have you used those Ballistic Tips at full velocity on anything other than head shot porkers?

Have you used those Ballistic Tips at full velocity on anything other than head shot porkers?

Yeah. I used them on Blackbuck, which was OK cause they're small. I used them on a nice Mouflon....didnt do the kind of job I want a big game bullet to do, so I just use them on varmints and pig brains.

Just had the gun out today and as mentioned above it LOVES the 63 SMP from Sierra, which is a proven game bullet for me. It didnt seem to dislike 55 gr. Barnes TTSX clustered them into an inch, but the 63s bug holed...
Ingwe,

I've been looking for a .223 with those specs at a decent price. Was that a one-off deal you found or is some place running a special on them right now?

Yeah. I used them on Blackbuck, which was OK cause they're small. I used them on a nice Mouflon....didnt do the kind of job I want a big game bullet to do, so I just use them on varmints and pig brains.

Just had the gun out today and as mentioned above it LOVES the 63 SMP from Sierra, which is a proven game bullet for me. It didnt seem to dislike 55 gr. Barnes TTSX clustered them into an inch, but the 63s bug holed...

No coyotes?
Seafire: Thanks for reminder that the bolt face would have to be opened up.
Ingwe: Opening up a bolt face is pretty easy. Just chuck up the bolt in a lathe. Brownell's sells a lathe tool that works quite well. Extractor takes a little fitting. But you have a point that the re chamber and the bolt face modification is probably equal cost to a 1 in 8 Tikka.
Ingwe: Opening up a bolt face is pretty easy. Just chuck up the bolt in a lathe. Brownell's sells a lathe tool that works quite well. Extractor takes a little fitting. But you have a point that the re chamber and the bolt face modification is probably equal cost to a 1 in 8 Tikka.

As well as most likely needing a new follower and mag box.

You are talking to a guy with NO mechanical inclination. I can't screw in a lightbulb or hang a picture without getting hurt...
Ingwe, I have found a similar Howa on sale. Only it is a 243, which I don't really need. But, at the price, I'm thinking it's a steal. The one I'm looking at is Kuiu, cerakoted, and I believe is a Lightning model with a 20 inch barrel. I've had several of those rifles before, and they all shot very good.

Anyway. my question is......how's the finish on metal, as that's the important thing. If I got it, and kept it, I'd want to restock it, as I hate those Howa stocks.
Finish on the metal seems great to me!
You'll be happy with it. Friend has a 1500 he was gifted in return for a kidney. I worked it over, bedding and trigger, then worked it up and it shoots in the half-inch range. Think it was a nine twist, maybe 8, varminter with laminated thumbhole. But it was easy to make it perform.
If you can stand the trigger as it is, and can work up loads, you'll find something good.
You can’t have too many 223’s
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
You'll be happy with it. Friend has a 1500 he was gifted in return for a kidney. I worked it over, bedding and trigger, then worked it up and it shoots in the half-inch range. Think it was a nine twist, maybe 8, varminter with laminated thumbhole. But it was easy to make it perform.
If you can stand the trigger as it is, and can work up loads, you'll find something good.

I havent messed with a thing on this gun...trigger is OK at #3 bedding seems OK cause its shooting better than the guy behind it!
Very nice. Like me some Howas. You might stumble onto an Alpine stock if you're lucky.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Very nice. Like me some Howas. You might stumble onto an Alpine stock if you're lucky.

This stock is growing on me...so long as I don't look at it too long!
They are ugly... but then I've been known to shoot Savages, too. Functionality trumps ascetics in my book. I have the same rifle in 243 and am happy with it. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another... and if I did, it would be the 223.
Originally Posted by hanco

uhhh yeah ya can....

ask me how I might know about that....
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by hanco

uhhh yeah ya can....

ask me how I might know about that....

I think so to John... but I'm on a 12 step road to recovery...Ive only got three right now...plus one .223AI

And only three .222s!

I am virtually cured!!!
So...does this mean you only need 5 more?
Sadly I lost all of mine in that terrible flood of last winter in January....

both of mine were lost, swept away in the high tide....

I've joined Michael Gloomberg and his Everytown Against Gun Violence instead....

and eat sensibly now....

My extensive research of 3 deer says that it's tough to beat a 55gr TTSX. Holy hell the deer don't like it.
Originally Posted by tzone

My extensive research of 3 deer says that it's tough to beat a 55gr TTSX. Holy hell the deer don't like it.

Ive had good luck on big game with that one too Tom...
I like that little sucker. That camo should be very effective at night 😁
Will the 55 TTSX stabilize in a 9'' twist barrel?

Yes...easily...at any altitude.....
gracias...
gracias...

is that the same phrase as "Grassy Asss"?
That's how we say it here in Oklahoma

It'll stabilize in a 1-12.
© 24hourcampfire