Home
Posted By: Tom_in_VT 17 K Hornet - 10/11/19
Just picked up a 77/22 that was rebarreled to 17 K Hornet. Some questions:

Is the 17 K Hornet and the 17 Ackley the same thing?

Anyone know if I can even get 17 K Hornet dies? I’ve seen 17 Hornet and 22 k Hornet, but not 17 k Hornet?
Posted By: erich Re: 17 K Hornet - 10/11/19
The K-Hornet is the Kilborne version(most common) of the Improved Hornet case, the AI is the Ackley version. You will have to do some research try googling each and compare dimensions. That said there are many versions of each depending on who's ordering the reamer. The nice thing is it headspaces on the rim so you should be able to fire standard 17 Hornet factory loads in it and measure the fired brass. Check with C&H for dies or order a custom die from FL Hornady(quite reasonable) and their standard 17 Hornet seater should work fine.
Posted By: Tom_in_VT Re: 17 K Hornet - 10/11/19
Thanks! Oddly enough, I couldn’t find much info online. I’ll try looking where you suggested.
Posted By: Border Doc Re: 17 K Hornet - 10/11/19

There are 17 Ackleys, 17 Hornady Hornets, 17 K Hornets and maybe more. Gonna get confusing without proprietary notation.
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: 17 K Hornet - 10/12/19
Arguably the best place to research this may be over on the Saubier forum http://www.saubier.com/forum.html. Expect you will be quite pleased shooting 20 gr projectiles. Id skip the 25 gr v-max options in this rifle though, as odd are you are working with a 10 twist barrel. 10 twist was more common though you can verify with a tight patch and a cleaning rod.
Posted By: bcp Re: 17 K Hornet - 10/14/19
I have a TC Contender 17 K-Hornet rifle barrel. I found several hundred 17 Ackley Hornet cases at a gun show. They fully chamber in it.

Bruce
Posted By: Tom_in_VT Re: 17 K Hornet - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by bcp
I have a TC Contender 17 K-Hornet rifle barrel. I found several hundred 17 Ackley Hornet cases at a gun show. They fully chamber in it.

Bruce

What dies are you using and what brass? Do you just reload 17 Hornet brass and fire form to k Hornet ?
Posted By: bcp Re: 17 K Hornet - 10/16/19
I only use 17 Hornady Hornet in a CZ.

In the TC 17 K-H, I'm using the Ackley brass and RCBS 17 K-H dies.

The 17 H-H is shorter so would make a very short-necked case when fired in the A-H or K-H.

Bruce

Attached picture 17-Hornet-Ackley-Hornady.jpg
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: 17 K Hornet - 10/17/19
It might be smarter to just set the barrel back and have it rechambered to Hornady Hornet, then you'd KNOW for sure what you have, and if needed, just buy the factory ammo (and it shoots very, very well in my CZ 527).
Posted By: Tom_in_VT Re: 17 K Hornet - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by bcp
I only use 17 Hornady Hornet in a CZ.

In the TC 17 K-H, I'm using the Ackley brass and RCBS 17 K-H dies.

The 17 H-H is shorter so would make a very short-necked case when fired in the A-H or K-H.

Bruce

I was thinking of going this route. 17 Ackley Hornet brass fire formed and then reloaded with K Hornet does. I’m assuming I have to have those custom made.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 17 K Hornet - 12/11/19
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
It might be smarter to just set the barrel back and have it rechambered to Hornady Hornet, then you'd KNOW for sure what you have, and if needed, just buy the factory ammo (and it shoots very, very well in my CZ 527).

The factory 20 grain VMAX shoots very well in my #1 rebarreled to 17 Hornady Hornet.
Posted By: FatAlbert Re: 17 K Hornet - 12/27/19
Go to http://www.woodchuckden.com/catalog/catalog2016.pdf If he dose not have the info than no one else in the world has It. he has a whole book on 17cal. cartridges.
Posted By: Tom_in_VT Re: 17 K Hornet - 02/04/20
Originally Posted by FatAlbert
Go to http://www.woodchuckden.com/catalog/catalog2016.pdf If he dose not have the info than no one else in the world has It. he has a whole book on 17cal. cartridges.

Thanks! I’ll try there
© 24hourcampfire