Home
Posted By: bbassi Stunt shooters - 02/18/20
I finally have myself a 8 twist 22-250 to play with. I'm looking for bullet suggestions that would cover Coyotes without dish ragging them (2 holes are acceptable, just not 3+ inch holes) but still be a reliable deer killer.
Posted By: DonFischer Re: Stunt shooters - 02/18/20
Originally Posted by bbassi
I finally have myself a 8 twist 22-250 to play with. I'm looking for bullet suggestions that would cover Coyotes without dish ragging them (2 holes are acceptable, just not 3+ inch holes) but still be a reliable deer killer.

Use 50gr Hornady SX's and load them in a standard 222 Rem!
Posted By: REDGUN Re: Stunt shooters - 02/18/20
Using 75gr Amax's out of mine. Works great on deer, but haven't had the chance to see what they do to a coyote yet.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Stunt shooters - 02/18/20
Anyone use the Nosler 70gr accubonds?
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Stunt shooters - 02/19/20
Originally Posted by bbassi
Anyone use the Nosler 70gr accubonds?

I have some on the shelf, only played with them a little bit. Scope mount was loose that day, but they still looked promising.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Stunt shooters - 02/19/20
Barnes
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Stunt shooters - 02/19/20
Or the Hornady 70-grain GMX.
Posted By: 222ND Re: Stunt shooters - 02/20/20
Buddy of mine has had good luck with 70 vld’s. 69 tmk,80vld, and 69smk’s have all been pretty good also. Superformance works well with a 69 or 70 grain bullet, we load 40 grains of it.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Stunt shooters - 03/31/20
Originally Posted by REDGUN
Using 75gr Amax's out of mine. Works great on deer, but haven't had the chance to see what they do to a coyote yet.

when this craziness settles down I'll try a box of these. I got a good deal on 500 of the Hornady 75gr target bullets and got them shooting sub 1" 200 yd groups without much fuss. I don't know what they will do on critters though. I'd like to see if I can get the Amax shooting as well.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Stunt shooters - 03/31/20
I'd be curious how the 77 LRX would perform on yotes at 22 cm speeds.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Stunt shooters - 03/31/20
Why not use something that'll grenade the hell out of them? Pelts are fetching nothing these days.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Stunt shooters - 03/31/20
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Why not use something that'll grenade the hell out of them? Pelts are fetching nothing these days.

in that case... 22.250? 55 grain Speer TNT... that should give ya some red mist out there...

would another coyote eat a blown up dead coyote? hell they eat cow manure.. so why not...
Posted By: bbassi Re: Stunt shooters - 04/01/20
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

in that case... 22.250? 55 grain Speer TNT... that should give ya some red mist out there...

would another coyote eat a blown up dead coyote? hell they eat cow manure.. so why not...

Dam near nothing eats coyotes in my experience, 'cept possums. True story - I keep a bait pile on my neighbors field where I can sit in my shed and snipe them at night. The last one I shot this year was a spinner that took off east while I was trying to line up it's mate for the double. I waited till the next morning to go look for #1 and couldn't find her. 2 weeks to the day I found her laying in the wide open. She'd made a 90 degree turn after she crested the hill and went about 200 yards just out of sight. The point is the buzzards, crows,ravens, and eagles were hitting my pile for those 2 weeks and that dead yote was laying in the same field. NOTHING touched that yote yet everything else were fighting over scraps. That's not the first time it's happened either.

BTW - I've got a bunch of those TNTs in 50s. I used to love them on fox out of my hornet. I bet on yotes at 22-250 speeds it would do little damage. one hole in and nothing out. But I still want to try to find a all around load for deer and yotes.
© 24hourcampfire